The revolutions project contains many individual projects that students must assign themselves. For many people this is a very difficult, because, like me, they procrastinate. For other students this project is easy because they can just sit down and pound it out. I believe this project is a great learning experience for all students. Through out this blog post I will be sharing some things I have learned about my self and my style of learning, I also hope that this will give others idea’s and inspiration to help them finish with this project.
Firstly, I learned that I am a big procrastinator. I don’t like to do projects that seem boring, long, and hard. For example the LIT packet was a project that I thought I was going to hate, but when I got my first story done I had a change of heart. I realized that after every story completed, a small weight was lifted off my shoulders. Surprisingly I was excited to do more stories.
Secondly I learned that I need to assign myself homework and not just leave things to do in bulk. I cannot stay focused for a long time and I usually get distracted when I do my homework, especially if it is on a computer. This is because I will usually have distractions, like my phone, around my work that will make me loose my concentration. A tip that has helped me is to write little notes in my agenda like “ Do this or you cant watch modern family!” Things like that usually persuade me to get my work done knowing that there is a small award at steak.
Lastly I realized that through the course of a big project I need to go over my work, thoroughly. Lots of the time I will rush through work just to get it done and make careless mistakes. I have been checking over my work sense the third grade but I have just now discovered a new trick. It is to read all of my work, typed or hand written, out loud to a family member or myself. This helps me a lot and I catch errors like spelling, grammar, and awkward sentences.This project is an amazing project. It has really opened my eyes about how I learn. I am excited for more projects like this in the future. I have learned a lot about my learning skills and how I can motivate my self by giving myself small rewards. I hope that others benefit as much from this project as I did.
Hi Elena,
ReplyDeleteI thought you had a very interesting and informative post. I realized that I was a procrastinator as well very early in this project. I also know how it feels to assign myself something really big, but after awhile of working I would just get distracted. I really liked your tip of writing yourself little notes that kind of bribe or persuade you to get your work done. I thought that was a great idea.
From,
Beatrice
Hey Elena,
ReplyDeleteI can relate so much to your blog! I usually procrastinate, and am not inspired, but for the Revolutions project I think I'm doing really well. I want to try writing 'bribes' in my planner like you mentioned. I had never thought of that. Also, for some subjects, I feel like I do kind of rush through things, usually because I don't have enough time not to. Maybe I'll try your solution for that, too.
Sincerely,
Holly
Hi Elena,
ReplyDeleteGreat blog! I agree with what you said. I really like how you write things that motivate you in your agenda! How did you find that reading your work out loud was helpful? I do the same thing usually when I have written an essay or something that I'm not sure sounds as good as it could. What has been helping me recently is doing my homework in the dining room at my house with my brother, while he does his homework. This has been helpful because the dining room has a big table in it so I have plenty of room to have all my homework things next to me, I dont have to walk around to get things and give myself a chance to get distracted, also this is helpful because I dont have any of my familiar surroundings near me so I cant det distracted by them.\
Sincerely,
Allie
I agree Elena! Having distractions is not a help at all to doing this project, especially. Thanks for the helpful tips. I have learnt a lot in this project too, how assigning your work can be difficult to organize. I really liked this blog!
ReplyDeleteBailey
Hey Elena,
ReplyDeleteI loved your blog because I, and many others, can relate to it so much! I loved how you used examples from your agenda and daily life. I also loved the tips, and I plan on using them in the future, whether its on this project or on other projects. I agree that when you have your phone out, or your computer it is really tempting to go on them, which is why I turn my phone off until all of my homework is done, and then I reward myself by turning it on and texting a friend, or playing a game. Thanks for the amazing tips, and great blog!!
Sincerely,
~Ariana~
Hi,
ReplyDeleteI am glad all of you are enjoying my blog! I appreciate you reading it and your wonderful comments. Reading out loud helps me catch my grammar mistakes and spelling mistakes that I would just brush off when I read it to myself and most of the time I will not catch them. I hope everyone is doing well with their project!
Sincerely,
Elena
Elena,
ReplyDeleteNice blog! I agree with your theory of reading your work to a family member before checking it off. It works for me too! It also helps me realize if their is something in the writing that is complicated or hard to understand.
Hi Elena,
ReplyDeleteI love the theme of your blog post. I like how you related all of the scenarios to yourself. If we had a chance to redo this project, what would you do differently to plan it out? I have to assign daily homework too or else I wont get anything done. Great blog post!!
EMily