Friday, February 24, 2012

Feeling stressed?

So as most of you know my life has been getting pretty hectic. I have three new sisters, my mom is a state senator now, I play volleyball for a competitive club team and I have a tournament every other weekend if not every weekend. My life is pretty stressful because of all of this. On top of everything, I have all of my homework, including the Revolutions project. I have a lot of good tips about ways to reduce stress or get rid of it completely.
One of my first tips is to make sure that you don’t work on one thing for a long time. I know that teachers are always telling you that you should space out work, and for a while, I ignored those tips like most of you probably do. I started pacing my work better. If I had a lot of math homework, for example, I made sure that I did half of the problems then worked on something completely different for at least 20-30 minutes. I then go back to my math and finish it up. When I do this, I end up actually finishing my work quicker than I would have, and I usually do it better than I would if I had done it all at once.
A tip for your home life, is that when you are having trouble with someone in your family or even if they are just stressing you out, then make sure that you find a way to separate yourself from them in a polite way. When I am really tired or just not in a great mood, if one of my sisters, new or old, starts to get on my nerves, I make sure that I let them know that I am really tired and I tell them I need a little bit of alone time. I usually go up to my room, just find a special space in my house, and read or play on my phone, listen to music, or maybe even just choose my clothes for the next day. I always make sure that what I am doing is not stressful at all. When I do get so stressed that I have to go up to my room for alone time I never do homework. If I try to do homework, it just gets me more and more stressed.
When your other commitments, besides school (or work for the adults who read this), get you stressed make sure that you plan your time well. Try to finish your homework before your activity if it is in the evening. If you can’t finish you homework before hand, try to make sure that you don’t spend a lot of extra time after your activity is over and try to get straight home. Also make sure that you use your advisory or study period well.
Also for me, at home since my mom has become a state senator she has been driving to Salem almost everyday. Seeing that Salem is about a hour away, she doesn’t get home until really late sometimes. Also since I have three new sisters, my dad has to spend a lot of time helping them get comfortable around the house and bring them to their activities and to school and all of that type of stuff. I definitely don’t get nearly as much attention as I used to and that makes me a little bit sad at times. I also don’t get as much help with my homework. This definitely stresses me. I always try to remember that I have had 13 years to spend time with my two parents and that I shouldn’t worry about it.
Well I have a lot more tips but if I typed up all of my tips, I would be here forever! I hope that my tips help a lot and that your stress level goes way down!

~Emma~

references:
http://www.cukierski.net/Stress-Zebra.gif
http://www.buzzle.com/img/articleImages/23717-40.jpg

10 comments:

  1. Hi Emma,
    These are some really good tips. I know I've tried most of them, except I don't really have the same situation as you, given I only have one sibling. The hard part for me is sticking to it. Sometimes I'm so stressed that I worry about not having enough time to finish my homework if I take a break. This seems like a good topic to blog about because you're helping yourself while you do it by reminding yourself to use your own tips. Good job.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emma,
    It seems like you are very familiarized with the topic of dealing with and managing stress. The tip you gave about taking breaks was really helpful, I actually tried it this weekend and was pleasantly surprised by how effective it was. I really liked how you explained your situation and really opened up, it made the blog feel super personal and that the solutions you were giving weren't just advice but suggestions that you've applied to your own life. I do have a questions though, are your ways of dealing with stress congruent to time management? It seems like you have so much stuff to do with volleyball, your sisters moving in and your mom becoming a senator, so managing time could cause stress. Do you have any tips on that? I really enjoyed reading your blog and thought that it was really helpful and well written.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace,
      So when for the stress about my sisters and my mom as a senator, I have started to retreat to my room a lot more. Another thing that helps is exercising, and when you do exercise, make sure you do something that will stretch a lot afterwords. After stretching, try taking a hot bath or going in a hot tub if you have one. This all helps A LOT!

      -Emma

      Delete
  3. Hi Emma,
    I love your topic and I think your points are really good. Sometimes, I just start stressing about stupid stuff, that there is no need to stress about. When that happens to me, I tell someone about it, my parents or a friends and then they will help me figure out what my priorities should be. If I can't talk to someone I figure it out myself, sometimes making a list of what I need to do, and then prioritize that way. Thought you hav a great post! Very well written and helpful!
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Emma,
    Oh my god! This is an incredible blog post! One, because you put in some of your life to keep the reader reading. Two, you added interesting facts. Three, You put in nice pictures to let a visual learner read on rather that an auditory reader. Most of your tips are really similar to mine. One other is to sleep, or eat. I don't know why these work, but the just do.
    Awesome Job!

    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gracie,
      Thanks so much for liking my blog! You tip about sleeping and eating is SO true! Thanks for adding something to my blog!

      Delete
  5. Good Blog Emma. I like how you reflected to your life to show people that you can open up when feeling stressed. I liked your tips on how to keep away from stress in your house and I can relate to getting that way too! I feel stress a lot and that can even make me more stressed.. I really like your blog! good job!
    Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emma,

    I really enjoy your post! I liked hearing that I am not the only one who has to take a brake from my homework because sometimes we just get so stressed. The tips you wrote are very helpful, and I am going to start using them. I also like how you talked about your new sisters, and how its sometimes hard for you. I cannot imagine what its like to suddenly gain three new sisters! You must constantly get annoyed! I appreciate everything you have written that is useful for me.

    Great job, Emma!

    -Annika

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emma,
    Great tips for relieving stress! I am going to start spacing out my assignments, and I do most of my home work before choir on Tuesdays and that lets me relax when I get home.
    Lila

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Everyone! I am so happy that my blog could be so helpful to everyone! Thanks for all the responses!!!

    ReplyDelete