Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Happiness :)


         Most people say that money is the key to a better life, but really it's not. A better life can't be based off of what brands you wear, or house you live in. It is actually based off of happiness. Researchers show that to live a happier life, you should...


  • Create rituals around the things we love to do.
  • Express gratitude for the good things in our lives.
  • Set meaningful goals that reflect our values and interests.
  • Play to our strengths instead of dwelling on weaknesses.
  • Simplify our lives — not just the Stuff, but the time.

          Of course, money can buy happiness, but it also can lead to extreme unhappiness. Paying your mortgage can feel great, but not paying your mortgage. Well, not so much. My point is; money is a roller coaster, while happiness is a smooth ride along the beach. Many people often work harder to get the bills paid, and this obviously doesn't make life any easier.

          Having good friends is one of the biggest reasons to be happy. Friends that you can trust, rely, laugh with, cry with, hang out with, talk to, and love is all another reason you should be happy. Creating memorable times together is a great thing to do to boost yourself up one notch on the happiness scale. 

          Time management! Another one of the most important things to have in a happy life. Creating time for your friends, family, and yourself. Researchers show that the more hobbies you have, the happier you will be. This is both true, and not true. Having many hobbies is a good thing, but not too many. You don't want to jam your life with things you love that your whole calender is full. Create some space for your family and friends, or just a little calm time to yourself.


          Living in the present. This is a great thing to do because if you live in the future, most times you expect something marvelous, or extraordinary is going to happen, but when whatever you were wishing doesn't happen, you get sad, and all of the happiness that you expect just goes away.




         Happiness is important, but don't work too hard to grab it. It will eventually come to you if you pass it on to others.


Sources for both facts and images:

  • http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2009/12/28/its-more-important-to-be-happy-than-to-be-rich/
  • www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1275&bih=620&q=happiness&gbv=2&oq=happiness&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=1049l3727l0l3983l9l9l0l4l4l0l112l372l4.1l5l0#hl=en&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=happy+faces&pbx=1&oq=happy+faces&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=8588l11745l0l12145l16l16l1l1l1l0l143l955l13.1l14l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=f0cef3f10d934053&biw=1275&bih=620
  • www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1275&bih=620&q=happiness&gbv=2&oq=happiness&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=1049l3727l0l3983l9l9l0l4l4l0l112l372l4.1l5l0#hl=en&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=happy+friends&pbx=1&oq=happy+friends&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=63319l64148l0l64405l6l6l0l3l3l0l78l228l3l3l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=f0cef3f10d934053&biw=1275&bih=620
  • www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1275&bih=620&q=happiness&gbv=2&oq=happiness&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=1049l3727l0l3983l9l9l0l4l4l0l112l372l4.1l5l0#hl=en&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=happiness+quotes&pbx=1&oq=happiness+&aq=0&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=20668l22354l2l23825l10l10l0l4l4l0l154l492l5.1l6l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=f0cef3f10d934053&biw=1275&bih=620
  • www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1275&bih=620&q=happiness&gbv=2&oq=happiness&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=1049l3727l0l3983l9l9l0l4l4l0l112l372l4.1l5l0#hl=en&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=happiness&pbx=1&oq=happiness&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=22489l23561l4l24065l7l7l2l0l1l0l63l299l5l5l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=f0cef3f10d934053&biw=1275&bih=620
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happiness
  • http://www.happiness-project.com/








9 comments:

  1. Hey Gracie!
    I love your post! Couldn't agree more. I once had this idea for something I wanted to write down, and this post really reminded it: "Life isn't taking a path to a destination, it's following the path itself." Also, playing to your strengths instead of focusing on your weaknesses is probably one of the biggest ideas, because looking at your weaknesses is just knocking yourself down. I found that out when I realized I was terrible on the basketball team, but I didn't care, I just got (a little) better.
    Your writing is so you: just being around you makes me happy! :)

    ~Maya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gracie!
    I think you are so right! Happiness is so important in our lives! I really agree with what you said about friendship. Having great friends around you just makes your life so much better and more interesting. Also, you said "Simplify our lives — not just the Stuff, but the time." I think this is extremely true. My schedule is really hectic and messy, and that just adds stress to my life. But ever since my dad cut down my dance schedule, I've noticed that it's been so much more relaxing, I have so much more time to do my homework, hang out with my friends, and just be happy. This is a really great blog, Gracie!!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gracie,
      I enjoyed your blog post for many reasons. First of all, I think that the subject of your post was intriguing because most people wouldn't understand how it relates to our revolutions project. But, it does. I enjoyed how you talked about what can actually boost your happiness. Immediately after I read that, I thought about if I expressed gratitude for the good things in my life and if I played to my strengths instead of dwelling on my weaknesses. That creates a connection. I bet you that everyone who reads that will think about if they do these characteristics of happiness. Unlike others, you had a nice essay format and great supports and details. Great job Gracie!
      Be happy~ Claire

      Delete
  4. Hey Gracie,
    I have to be honest... I loved your blog!! First of all, I think this was a unique topic to pick for your post. Many others were doing it on a specific person, but you decided to do it on Happiness, which was very interesting. Happiness is a huge part of our lives, and so are hobbies and friends. You are a very talented writer!
    Keep up the good work!
    Your Friend,
    ~Ariana~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gracie,

    I love the theme of your blog. It is very important to be happy, because after all, we only live once, so we should enjoy it! I liked the picture of the quote- it's very cool. I think that it is good, also, to not chase happiness, and just let it come to you. Sometimes I live to much in the future. For instance, on Sundays, I get kind of sad because I am thinking about having to wake up early the next day, instead of realizing that I have a WHOLE day before Monday.

    Great job!

    Anna B. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gracie-

    I really enjoyed your blog. It not only educated me on things I didn't know, but I could also relate to some of the things you wrote. I enjoyed your pictures; they made the post look more interesting, and really showed happiness. I also like all the things you said about how money can buy happiness, yet it can also create horrible unhappiness. I think you should be very proud of your post, because it educated me on a subject I would have never thought about myself.

    -Annika

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gracie,
    I like the topic of your post. It's nice that you mixed in time management and hobbies. When was that quote made?
    Nice post,
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gracie,
      I enjoyed reading this. I liked how you talked about things you like to do and also the time you have on your hands. How do you choose the way you spend your time?
      -Yasmin-

      Delete