Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Revolutions! (well how I see it)

            My do make is very similar to my teach a class, be cause they are part of each other. For my teach a class I am working with Anna bishop, we are going to teach the class about the culture and social structure of the 18th century dinner parties, we also will talk about how the social class affects what you eat. We want top teach the class with a prezi, currently I am working on that.
 In the Prezi I am talking about the social class, I have a few pictures, and a lot of charts to show the differences. One example is a t-chart that has the different classes, like clergies vs. serfs, and if they were invited to parties and if the held any. (in this case the clergies were invited to some but the serfs weren't invited to any.)
            We are also going to show what a dinner party looked like, so we decided to decorate the room with festive party decorations. We are going to make a fake chandelier too, because they had very fancy ones hanging in the center of the room. Then we are going to give the class little party favors: decorative party invitations and pastries. But before the fun starts and the guests get to eat our freshly baked ginger biscuits we make (that is our do make) we are going to separate them by class. Some of our classmates will get to sit and enjoy the party, while the others will serve them, or not be invited to the party at all. This will show them how the social class really was.
            For our do make, we are going to bake ginger biscuits, as you heard before, and we are going to use pastry markers to draw on them the faces of our class mates. We are doing this because in the 1700’s queen Elizabeth I had her cooks draw the faces of her closest friend on the cookies she baked to please them. I want to be graded on how realistic they taste , and how good, since I am an experienced baker. So far, we have not baked the cookies, simply because our teach a class date is in march and we do not want the cookies to go stale. We plan to cook them the day, or weekend if it is close enough, before our teach a class day so they are as fresh as possible. The ingredients we got are simple, we got them off this website: http://www.gingerbreadrecipes.co.uk/crunchy-gingerbread-biscuits.html. it is very helpful because these are ingredients that they had in the 1700’s too.
            Ingredients: 
750g plain flour
350g black treacle
200g caster sugar
165g lard
125ml hot water
 2 eggs
1 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
 1.5 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
 Pinch of salt
 Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, mix together the treacle, sugar, hot water and lard until the mixture is smooth.
  2. Beat the eggs and stir these into the mixture one at a time.
  3. Sieve the flour, bicarbonate, spices and salt into the wet mixture and combine together until you have a dough-like mixture.
  4. Pop this into the fridge for at least an hour so the dough will be able to be rolled out and cut into shapes.
  5. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4. Grease some baking trays. Cut your biscuits into shapes and place on the baking trays. Cook them for ten minutes or until they appear firm.

(Bicarbonate of soda is baking soda and black treacle is just another form of molasses. And if you dot want to use lard use vegetable shortening.)

            The prezi is very close to being done, we only have top add a few more slides, then add I  some V.I.P. details and then make it pretty J. The next step after that is editing it with Anna and maybe another peer, so it can be a lot better than it would with just me editing it. This is the link to my prezi: http://prezi.com/yskcowo_muwc/cultures/ feel free to leave a comment about it (it is not finished.)I prepared by reading the lit packet Paul assigned. The lit packet is  10 page packet filled with letters, excerpts from stories, and facts either written in or about the 18th century. I also have read and margin noted chapter 7 of our book: Medieval Times to Today (Prentice Hall World Explorer). In November we started a project called F.A.M.E which stands for Feudal Asia and Medieval Europe (Japan, China, Byzantine Empire, and England) this is where you study your class’s assigned civilization and you present about it in fount of parents and students, teachers, and staff. (it is way more stressful and complicated that it sounds) since I was in England I have a little bit more background that others might.

            Once I was finished studying the tome period, I jumped in and started making the prezi. Then I looked for a recipe online. So now, I should be writing a closing paragraph, summarizing what I just wrote, and “wrapping it up” so to speak, but instead I’ll just say this:

            I think my project will be different that I expect it to be. Though, I hope it is  a good different, rather than a bad one.

Well, see ya later,

            Josephine Evans 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Josephine,

    I loved your blog post about revolutions! It had great detail, nice pictures, and a do.make incorporated inside! I love how you talked about your teach-a-class and do/make. This whole post is kind of like an extended proposal. I love your whole idea for the teach-a-class. THe reason I like it is because it is a NOT AT ALL BORING TOPIC!!! Usually when I ask people what they are doing for their teach-a-class, or do.make, it usually sounds boring, or is boring. I can definitely tell that this will not be a boring teach-a-class at all.
    Great job and good luck!
    Your friend,

    -Gracie

    ReplyDelete