Misunderstandings and the Underground Railroad
The world is filled with many misunderstandings. People have misconceived ways of thinking and different ways of viewing things. Sometimes when people look at our history, they see things wrong. Sometimes titles are misleading. I noticed this when I was studying the underground railroad.
| http://www.math.buffalo.edu/~sww/0history/UndergroundRailRoad.html |
The escaping slaves had to travel 10-20 miles every night between safe houses. They could only travel at night because it was too risky to travel during the day. They were more likely to get caught. It was extremely dangerous to go on the underground railroad, because if you got caught you would probably get killed.
http://kasamaproject.org/2009/01/31/freedom-train-the-story-of-the-underground-railroad/
|
The safe houses were run by the people living in the houses. They would let the escaping slaves spend the night, usually in a hidden room. It was also very dangerous to have escaping slaves in your house, because if you got caught you would also get killed. It was a risk that the owners could take because they thought that having slaves was wrong, and they were doing what they could to help. The escaping slaves would travel through the woods, rivers, and neighborhoods. Sometimes, the owners of the slaves would go looking for their slaves because they were their property, and they did not want to lose them.
| http://history.howstuffworks.com/american-civil-war/underground-railroad.htm |
Hi Annie,
ReplyDeleteI really like your topic! Not just the wonderful facts about the underground railroad but the subject of misunderstadning things. It happens all the time during the course of my normal week and I think it is an important topic to prevvent. I say this because it can cause much confussion and stress. How you explained this topic with the underground railroad it such a great example. When people see the name "underground railroad" many people do think it was an actual underground railroad for trains. Silly right? Your blog post was very nice and I learned many things about your topic. Great post!
Elena
Hey Annie,
ReplyDeletei really like your story. i really like how it was the true story and what the consequences. I also liked how you also explained misconceptions of stories. I feet the that can also relate to other things. Loved it!!
Lucy
Hi Annie,
ReplyDeleteI love how you tied working in a group to the underground railroad, I think that connection made the bost easier to read, and understand. I think there are way too many misconceptions in life, and a lot of people miss the true maening of things. I would love to know what inspired you to write about the Underground Railroad, leading to the misconception idea. ove the post!
~Athena~