It was hard at first to decide on a topic; there were so many options to choose from. But in the end I chose to do the battle of Waterloo. For my do/make I decided to make a model of the Battle of Waterloo putting Risk (the board game) soldiers, using a picture with arrows and boxes for where the soldiers moved. For my teach a class I have decided to use a short clip from the film Waterloo which I found on YouTube for an introduction, then I would pass around my model of the battle that I did for my do/make, then I would use a more informative clip for some information and facts for the class then I would use poll everywhere.com to asses what the class had learned. My dad, while I’ve been doing projects, has been like a research partner because he is on sabbatical and has a lot of spare time, so he has found a great interest in this project on Waterloo. Here is a link he found which was really helpful.
The hardest part of my do/make is the fact that the only cheap Risk sets are now using arrows instead of actual figurines for the pieces, so I have to borrow somebody’s set and use the pieces, the board will be easy to find but the most delicate part is when I have to draw the arrows for where the troops moved, I get the general idea but the way that each troop moved was really different and a lot harder. All and all I think this project has been one of the more fun projects in my middle school years. Napoleon was a military genius he knew every strategy and every advantage he could get, but in Russia I think he lost his senses,, he sent a large army into frigid Russia in the middle of winter, and of course, his men got hypothermia and starved. The duke of wellington was a great ruler too, but he never lost his senses during a battle he too knew when to retreat, and when to attack. Wellington wasn’t troubled by his age as much as napoleon was, it is said in diaries written by his officers he would shed very real tears over casualty reports. He urged his men on in the heat of a battle. Occasionally charging alongside his heavy cavalry during battles. One of the most interesting pieces of information I learned about the battle of Waterloo was that The Duke of Wellington attended a ball at the nearby manor to show the people that they were in no real danger, and to keep them calm however napoleon had heard the news and had started marching before Wellington had heard the news napoleon had gained a day’s march on Wellington.
When I first got the green sheet , an agenda of everything I must do for the project, it was very intimidating, but as I started doing the projects I realized it wouldn’t be half bad. I have about 23 projects done and I’m almost done with my next project inside of this project, Revolutions. This means I’m about halfway done.
This is one of the websites I used the most.
Mark,
ReplyDeleteI love how you talked both about the project as a whole, what you were doing for the three bigger parts to the project, and about the Battle of Waterloo, and the facts about that topic. I think it was a good mix of everything in the project!
~Athena~
Hi Mark,
ReplyDeleteI love your posts it is very descriptive of what you are planing on doing. I also liked how you made me feel engaged in what you were saying. I was wondering if you could tell me what made you chose to do your project on the Waterloo?
Sincerely,
Snow Flack
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete