Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Eiffel Tower

  Construction for the Eiffel Tower, nicknammed la dame de fer the iron lady in french, began in 1887. The tower was constructed for the World's Fair that was happening in Paris, the capital of France. The building was completed in 1889 only two years after construction began.
It took three hundred workers to build and is almost entirely made puddle iron. Émile Nouguier and Maurice Koechlin were the engineers and Stephen Sauvestre was the architect. Unlike most modern sky skrapers the Eiffel Tower has an open frame and doesn't have floor after floor it instead has two levels and a top where you can actually get off the elevator.
Although the open frame and few floors make it more dangerous to construct on only one worker died while working on the construction due to the safety precautions like guard rails. When the tower was first opened to the public many people complained about it and said that it looked like a dark blob had eaten up a block of the city. One man hated the Eiffel tower but ate lunch inside it everyday when asked why he did it he replies that it was the only place in town where you couldn't actually see the tower. Now a days it is considered one of the places to see in Paris and is a major tourist attraction
.
If you do go to Paris I would highly suggest going to the Eiffel Tower however my favorite time to visit is during the night if you go to the top you can see the hole city in bright lights. I would also recommend visiting L'arc de Triomphe and le Musée D'orsay.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Zach,

    Nice post! I had no idea that the Eiffel Tower was constructed in just two years! That is really impressive and I had never heard it before! You included tons of facts, and I liked the little “fun facts” you put in the post too, because it made it interesting to read. I can’t believe that the Parisians didn’t like the Tower at first! Did the people visiting for the World’s Fair hate it just as much? I agree, the Eiffel Tower is at it’s best at night. When I visited Paris, I got to see the Tower and go to the top, also.

    Keep up the blogging,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zach!

    The elegance of the Eiffel Tower makes "The Iron Lady" a perfect nickname for the tower. I can't believe some regarded the beautiful architecture as a dark blob. Who was the guy that always ate underneath the Eiffel Tower? I bet he was just trying to get some publicity. Anyways, you did a superb job including a great variety of information, and presenting it in an organized manner. Unlike many of your peers, your pictures caught my eye, and I was provoked to comment on your blog post. It is unbelievable that you have been to the Eiffel Tower before. I know you're completely fluent in French, but I am a novice French student that wishes to master the language. Because of your intriguing blog, I vow that once I become an exceptional French speaker, I will go to Paris and see The Iron Lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zach,
    I really like the detail about the history. I think that it is really funny that the man sat there to eat so he couldn't see it. Was is not approve by anyone before they built it because it seems like many people didn't enjoy the beautiful land mark in the middle of the capital city.

    ReplyDelete