Sunday, February 15, 2015

What happened prior to the American Revolution?

Two powerful events that happened prior to the American revolution are the Boston Massacre, and the Boston tea party. The Boston Massacre happened first. During the boston Massacre, five unarmed colonists were killed by the British military. This was a huge deal because there is no reason for for the British, who had the most powerful army in the world at the time, to kill unarmed civilians. This was considered considered one of the most important events that turned colonial sentiment against King George III and British Parliamentary authority.  
The boston tea party happened only a few years later. It all started with the tea act. In the tea act, the british made it so you can only buy british tea, which was taxed. Colonists weren’t very happy, because they didn’t agree with taxation. They wanted to stop all taxation. That started the boston tea party. In the Boston Tea Party Colonists, who were disguised as native Americans attacked 3 ships and destroyed all of the tea. It took nearly three hours for more than colonists to empty the tea into Boston Harbor. The chests held more than 90,000 lbs. (45 tons) of tea, which would cost nearly $1,000,000 dollars today. Both these events were significant to the American revolution, because showed that the relationship between Britain and its colonies was disappearing.




Sources:

19 comments:

  1. Dear Jimmy,

    Great Piece on two major events leading up to the American Revolution. The two events that you chose, the Boston Massacre and the Boston Tea Party were two events that as you said, showed the divide that was growing between Britain and the Colonies. What did the British do in retaliation to the attack on their tea? Interesting piece.

    Keep up the great blogging,

    Mark M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jimmy,
    I liked how you talked about two major events that sparked the American Revolution. Most children have studied these topics but you added some facts that I did not no about. Are there any other events that led to the American Revolution?
    From,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jimmy,

    This is really important to learn about and thank you for writing about it. I did not know much about this topic. Do you think something like this could happen like this again?

    -Advay K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jimmy,
    I think the way you talked about how much the tea cost, it shows how much it hurt the British.
    I was wondering though, what was the public's reaction when they heard of the Boston Massacre?

    From, Ibrahim A

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jimmy,
    I liked your etails about how much tea was wasted and the closing statement was really strong. Why did they destroy the tea instead of just stealing it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jimmy,
    I liked how informative this blog was! Prior to reading this I had a faint idea about what the tea act was, I knew it happened but that's pretty much it. Why did the British kill the colonists? Didn't they have a relatively good relationship at that time?
    -Truman

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jimmy,

    I really liked your post because it explained why the Boston tea party started, and why these events were so important to the American Revolution. I was wondering, why weren't colonists happy with the taxation? Also, why did the British kill the unarmed colonists?

    From,
    Chiara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jimmy. I really liked this topic and how important it really is to the American Revolution. I think you did a great job explaining these events and stating their importance. Why did the British kill five unarmed men? What was the British's reaction to The Boston Tea Party? Why was it named the Boston Tea Party?
    -Tanner

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jimmy,

    Great job on your post. I also studied before the American Revolution and I learned some new things:) I like how you connect what happened before the American Revolution to why the revolution started. Did the British ever find out it was their colonies that destroyed their tea? And, if they did, what was their reaction?

    -Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Jimmy,
    I really liked how you jumped right in to the interesting stuff at the start rather then having a boring intro. Were there any other significant events prior to the american revolution, which could have caused it?
    Kai

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Jimmy,

    I really like how your blog is so factual. It tells a great story and puts a great picture in my mind. What would you have done with all that tea?

    ----Noah----

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jimmy,

    It was really interesting how you brought two events together. During the Boston Tea Party did they pollute the water? Did it affect any animals/sea life?

    Lauren Mei

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Jimmy,
    I really liked your fist sentence because it really summed up the whole piece. I was wondering what you think would have happend without the Boston Tea party.

    thanks,
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Emma,
      Thanks for the comment. I think that without the Boston Tea Party we would definately have different tax laws and the American revolution may never have happened.
      Thanks,
      Jimmy

      Delete
  14. Dear Jimmy,
    I really enjoyed reading this post. I like how descriptive you were. Do you think that the Boston Tea Party helped us form the United States?

    Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elise,
      I think that the Boston Tea Party was crucial to forming the United States. Without it we would definately have different tax laws and the American revolution may never have happened.
      Thanks,
      Jimmy

      Delete
  15. Hi Jimmy,

    I really liked your post because it was descriptive. I was wondering how you chose this idea.

    Sincerely,
    Ramya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ramya,
      Thanks for the comment. I choose this event while looking at a timeline of the American Revolution.

      Delete
  16. Elise,

    I think the Boston Tea Party was crucial to forming the United States, as without it, we would definitely have different tax laws, and the American revolution may never have happened. Your post was descriptive and well written, and the visuals paired very well with the writing! How did you choose this topic?

    Best,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete