This year Junior Olympics for fencing are in Richmond Virginia. Richmond is far away, but I have relatives there to visit. Junior Olympics are the national championships for Junior (19 and under) and Cadet (16 and under) and last year someone from our fencing club won JO's. This is my first year fencing at JO's, and I'm really excited to fence there. I only qualified for Cadet, but I'm also doing Junior Team, which is where you fence with two other people and you take turns fencing the three people on the opposing team. I hope that I do well, but there isn't a ton of pressure because I'm not expected to do very well against 16 year olds. Every night I stay up and envision JO's going perfectly.
I stand in line for registration, feeling great. I just woke up an hour ago. I had a quick hotel breakfast, and grabbed my fencing bag to walk to the convention center. I finally get to the front of the line, quickly scan my membership card and walk in to the fencing strips. I quickly warm up and they call my pool. I'm up first, and I'm ready. Ten seconds in, I hit my opponents hand 1-0. I come forward, he attacks, easy parry riposte 2-0. I go forward , and hit his foot 3-0. I fake his foot and hit him in the shoulder 4-0, Last touch. He comes forward, and attacks. Parry riposte 5-0, I win. ZZZ ZZZ ZZZ. I fall asleep.

Dear cool kid,
ReplyDeleteI really like how you talk both about what JO is and about your day at JO's. What happened after you won?
Great blog,
Ava
Dear cool kid,
ReplyDeleteI really like how you talk both about what JO is and about your day at JO's. What happened after you won?
Great blog,
Ava
Hi cool kid,
ReplyDeleteI did not know you went to the JO'S. Was it difficult winning, and were you very nervous?
-Advay K.
Cool Kid,
ReplyDeleteIt is very cool that you fence. It is not as common as soccer or basketball. I also liked your story about the Junior Olympics. Why did you chose to fence instead of doing another sport? Also, what does it feel like when you are fencing? Are you nervous, energetic, focused, etc.?
~Aarushi
Cool Kid,
ReplyDeleteWhen I was little I wanted to learn how to fence ,but then I chickened out. When you get hit when you fence does it heart? When did you start?
Dear Cool Kid,
ReplyDeleteNice post. Do you ever get really nervous before you fence?
-Maya
Cool Kid,
ReplyDeleteThis is a really amazing blog post. It tells a story from when you went to your JO's. How long have you been fencing? Do you ever make friends when you're doing your fencing tournaments?
Lauren Mei
Cool Kid,
ReplyDeleteI like your blog. It is super cool how you went to the JO's. What happened after you won?
-Jane
Hi Cool Kid,
ReplyDeleteI really like how you explain what Junior Olympics are, and then describe how it's like in a fencing match. I was wondering, what made you interested in fencing?
Great writing!
Chiara
Hi Cool kid,
ReplyDeleteyour piece is really good! I really like how you include details from before the competition and after. I was wondering how long you have been fencing and if you have won any other awards?
Hi Kai,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post because it has details from the competition. I was wondering if you play any other sports.
Sincerely,
Ramya
Hi Kai,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your use of pictures and the ZZZZZZZs at the end because it helped me visualize what was happening. I was wondering if you plan to keep fencing all your life?
nice job!
-Emma