Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Oskar


It was a warm sunny summer day. My whole family packed into my mom’s minivan to go buy something that we now think is priceless.
It took an hour to get to the breeders house, but it all payed off. Lets just say that we had another addition to the family when we left the breeders house. Our new mini dachshund was so small, barely reaching 3 pounds, but he would only end up gaining ten more pounds. He was a bundle of joy, and he could make me smile every time I looked at his sweet face. 



We decided to name him Oskar with a “k”, because that is the german way. I spent a lot of time with him. He was always the first to greet me when I got home from school and he was easy to cuddle with. Oskar and I spent so much time together when he was little. A lot of the time we were the only ones home and he was fun to be with. He is like a little brother to me. At first when we got him, he would chew everything up, pee all over the house, and bark all night long. My mom at one point was so frustrated she thought we might need to give him away. She never followed through with that because we still have him to this day.


Oskar isn’t all sweet and perfect. He is also a little theft. He has been known to unwrap, destroy, and eat christmas presents, and he will steal food from anyone without a second thought. If you drops a cracked off the counter, say goodbye, because when you look down it will be gone. Like some wise dachshund owners have said, “Whoever said that diamonds are a girls best friend, never owned a dachshund.”



25 comments:

  1. LUCY-
    This is adorable! I love the picture of Oskar with the stuffed animal :) . I wonder why you decided to spell it the German way? I found that very fascinating. I also enjoyed how you were talking about his mischevous behavior, he sounds super adorable <3 . My FAVORITE part of this whole post was when you said "Whoever said that diamonds are a girls best friend, never owned a dachshund" !! That was funny and super well said, and totally sums up the whole piece.
    xx-
    Chloe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chloe,
      Aww thanks hun! We decided to name Oskar with a k because we didn't want him to be Oscar Meyer Wiener. We liked the name Oskar, but didn't like for him to have the traditional dachshund name. Obviously we don't say it differently though so we still get people who immediately say Oscar Meyer Wiener! ;)))
      Lucy

      Delete
  2. LUCY-
    This is adorable! I love the picture of Oskar with the stuffed animal :) . I wonder why you decided to spell it the German way? I found that very fascinating. I also enjoyed how you were talking about his mischevous behavior, he sounds super adorable <3 . My FAVORITE part of this whole post was when you said "Whoever said that diamonds are a girls best friend, never owned a dachshund" !! That was funny and super well said, and totally sums up the whole piece.
    xx-
    Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lucy,
    OMG that dog is so cute and Small. It amazes me that Oskar was only 3 pounds when you got him from the breeders house. Its really funny how Oskar would unwrap Christmas gifts and steal food. I am Curious if you had one trick you could teach Oskar and he would learn it in seconds what that trick would be?
    -Bryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryan,
      Thanks for your comment! To answer your question, we taught him how to role over and he picked up on that really easily. Now every time we tell him to lay down he immediately roles over though.
      Lucy

      Delete
  4. Love my baby, teddy says he loves him too, its hes favorite bishop. Loved reading the story about Oskar and getting to know him better, does osky have a middle name?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love my baby, teddy says he loves him too, its hes favorite bishop. Loved reading the story about Oskar and getting to know him better, does osky have a middle name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iz,
      Yes, Oskar had a middle name. Our second name choice for a name was Franklin. So we named him Oskar Franklin Bishop ;))))))))
      Lucy

      Delete
  6. Dear Lucy Bee,
    I love how you put the thing in past tense in the beginning although it kind of made it sound that he was no longer with us which gave it more deepness. I love how you all decided to name Oskar the German way because of his original berthing place. I can also relate to the point in where your mom almost gave Oskar away because as you know Smarky is a very violent dog and was almost put down. I love how in the end it was all good and I love that quote I'm going to keep it forever and tweet it!
    Love,
    Ellie <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Love Oskar !!!!!! Even though he bites my ankles when we play tag :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Lucy Bee,
    I love how you put the thing in past tense in the beginning although it kind of made it sound that he was no longer with us which gave it more deepness. I love how you all decided to name Oskar the German way because of his original berthing place. I can also relate to the point in where your mom almost gave Oskar away because as you know Smarky is a very violent dog and was almost put down. I love how in the end it was all good and I love that quote I'm going to keep it forever and tweet it!
    Love,
    Ellie <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Question: How old is Oskar and what is his favorite game to play with u?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi Berry,
      thanks for the nice things about Oskar. Oskar is one and a half years old, and he loves to play tug o war :)
      Lucy

      Delete
  10. Hi lululemon,

    Really cute dog! I like how you said he is a thief. What does he do to make him a thief?

    -Advay k.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Advay,
      To answer your question, Oskar has been known to steal chocolate bars, socks, and really anything he can fit in his mouth!

      Delete
  11. Kiwi Berry,
    thanks for the nice things about Oskar. Oskar is one and a half years old, and he loves to play tug o war :)
    Lucy @kiwiberry

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear lululemon,

    Oskar is so cute! It's really awesome that you love Oskar so much. Does Oskar ever spend time with other people in your family more than with you? Do you have to take care of Oskar or does your whole family help with taking care of Oskar? What's your favorite characteristic about Oskar?

    Lauren Mei

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lucy!
    Your dog is so cute! I love how you tell the story in detail about how you went to get Oskar. I also like the part when you explain how you named in. I have a pet too (cat). Do you have any other pets?

    Defne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lucy,

    Oskar is adorable! I love his sock monkey sweater. I was wondering how old Oskar is?

    -Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane,
      Thanks! He is about one and a half years old currently. We are not sure his exact birthdate because the breeder forgot to give us the birth certificate..
      Lucy

      Delete
  15. Hi Lucy,

    I love your piece about Oskar. He's adorable! I was wondering if you have or have had any other pets? Nice job :)

    Sincerely,
    Ramya

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lucy,
    This is so adorable!!!!!!! I really like how you say the negatives and positives of having Oskar. I also really like your last line. I was wondering how old you were when you got Oskar?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lucy,
    I love your beginning it's so adorable! I was wondering if you specifically looking for a certain breed when you got a dog or if you just found Oskar and thought he was perfect?
    nice job!!!
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lucy,

    I love your blog piece on your favorite dog, Oskar. I love how you start it mysteriously and talk about Oskar as a family member. Does Oskar do any tricks?

    Thanks,

    Britt

    ReplyDelete