Are you a twelve year old girl? What do you think of when you think about clothing? Probably leggings and Birkenstocks, or crop tops and high waisted jeans. Now think of what a twelve year old girl would wear in 1904. That’s right, the ball gowns, the intricate laces, and the ‘voluminous’ sleeves. Clothing has changed so much in 111 years, that if we went out in public wearing one of those fancy ball gowns, well, let’s just say everyone we saw would be a little confused.
Another important change is where we get our clothes. You used to have to sew each piece by hand or get them made at a tailor, “shopping” was a new concept, and hadn’t been fully developed yet. In modern times, you can say “Hey mom will you drop me off at the mall?” and spend 400 dollars at Abercrombie & Fitch. Or you can order things online and have them delivered to your house, and you don’t even have to stand up! Again, a concept that is completely new since 1904.
So let’s say you are a twelve year old girl in 2015, and you wear the ‘trending’ clothes of our time. There are plenty of differences between what you’re wearing now and what you would have worn in 1904. For example, now it is very common for girls to wear pants. In 1904, that was unheard of and very unusual. In current times a common outfit a 7th grade girl would wear to school would be yoga pants and a t-shirt, not all the layers and ruffles that once were common.
I asked some of my friends if they would go out in public in a ball gown. Here are some of my favorite responses:
“No! Everyone would think I was a whacko!” - Emma
“I would look like a zombie princess.” - Catie
“NO! I would look like I should be in a mental institution!! Who the hell wears ball gowns nowadays?” - Jane
“Yasss!! I’m an individual and I have my own style *flips hair* I could twirl down the street!” - Sophie
I think that these responses are true for most girls that I know. Our society’s norm has changed so that we are much more informal. I also think that we have become less strict with our clothing rules, because it is ok for girls to wear pants, or not wear a billowing skirt for a formal event. I think that these developments are mostly positive, and it allows people to dress freely and true to their personality. In 1904, if you were a tomboy, you still had to wear formal dresses to be accepted. In 2015 you will be accepted no matter what you wear, and I think that’s very important in a diverse nation like ours.
Hi Chlo,
ReplyDeleteI REALLY enjoyed your post and I think it shows how clothing styles in general, and especially for girls our age, have evolved in just a little over a century! The images you brought to mind made me smile, imagining twirling down the skirt in a ballgown < my quote (; > I was wondering if you would join me, being weird in a ball gown downtown, or if you don't think you would wear clothes from 111 years ago.
-soph :)
Dear Chloe,
ReplyDeleteI really loved this post. It was funny and so true :) I like that you compared what people did in 1904 and now, and the quotes from Emma, Sophie, Catie and Jane. I was wondering if you would rather dress in a ball gown today, or dress in shirts and pants in 1904?
-Elise
Chloe,
ReplyDeleteI loved your post, I think it well written, funny, and very true! I think that clothing have changed an unbelievable amount in 111 years! I was wondering what you think "trending" clothes will be 111 years in the future?
-Phoebe :D
Chloe,
ReplyDeleteI loved how you compared kids these days to back then! All the brands really made me connect to your point:) Would you were a ball gown in public?
-Pontea:)
Hi Chloe,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post! It made me think about the clothing standards in the 1904 and in 2015. Would you wear a ball gown in public and what do you think clothing would be like in another 111 years?
Sincerely,
Ramya
Hi Chloe,
ReplyDeleteI think your post was really great! I can really relate to the brands of clothes and shoes which I think made your post very strong. I love the quotes as well! Do you think that ball gowns will ever become the norm again in the future or do you think it will totally change from what it is now?
-Jane
Hey Chloe,
ReplyDeleteI really loved opening your post with questions. Its funny that I didn't even think about much we have changed! When do you think we started to REALLY change how we look?
-Greta
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi chloethecarrot,
ReplyDeleteVery funny post good JOB! I think what you wrote is 100% true. Who invented ball gowns?
-Advay K.
hey chloe, i loved your post, it is super accurate and also fun to read. Why do you think that clothing changed so much?
ReplyDelete-maya
Dear Chloethecarrot,
ReplyDeleteIt's certainly interesting to see how much clothing has evolved over the years and you displayed that well in this blog. Do you think the change of culture influenced the change of style? What does this say about our culture?
-Truman
Chlo,
ReplyDeleteSuch a funny post that really puts the change of clothes into perspective. I really liked how you put in your friends answers (especially Sophie's), that was just a funny part that helped back up some of your thought. Do you think that if you asked somebody back then who wore ball gowns to wear yoga pants, they would come up with the same answers?
Lucy
Hey Chloe,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post so much! My favorite part the responses to wether your friends would ware a ball gown or not. I laughed so hard at the responses you don't even know ;) I was wondering why you think trends in clothing or just what is considered the "normal" way to look changed so much over time? Do you think it will continue to change?
love,
-Em :)
Hey Chloe. I thought it was awesome how you talked about modern clothes showing diversity and freedom in our country. What do you think influences the clothes that girls right now wear? What do you think influenced the clothes girls wore in 1904? Great post!
ReplyDelete-Tanner
Dear Chloe,
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun thing to write about! What do you think it would be like if you had a personal tailor nowadays? What would you have them make for you?
-Audrey
Dear Chloe,
ReplyDeleteThat was so fun to read about. I never thought about how much clothes have changed. Whats you favorite outfit to wear.
-Samma
Hi Chloe,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your blog post. I really thought it was interesting how you used modern day brands to really get your point across. I laughed when I read the quotes. I was wondering if you think that if you did a larger survey your results would be the same? Also would you wear a ballgown in public?
Chloe,
ReplyDeleteI thought it was really interesting/funny how you used many sources to get your point across. Do you think by choosing what to wear in different places are we code switching??
Lauren Mei
Dear Chloe,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post. I like how you explain how our social norm has developed over time. Why do you think this social norm has changed so much?
Sincerely,
Sophia
Hi chloethecarrot,
ReplyDeleteYour post is really nice to read. The beginning pulls the reader in and is interesting to learn about (I love the idea of adding quotes from friends). Do you think you could ever wear a ballgown in public, or are the standard yoga pants more your style?
Nice job!
-Madeleine
Chloe,
ReplyDeleteYour post was very cool! The last sentence was the perfect way to end the blog post. Why do you think this norm has changed?
Sara
Dear Ccloethecarrot,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how much detail you had about the differences between the 1900's and today. What did women wear before the 1900's?
Kai
To Cloethecarrot,
ReplyDeleteI can't even imagine who people would look in those clothes! Wow, that is super interesting how our clothing has changed so much! I love the different opinions of the clothing back then! I to, would not want to wear that!
Is there any piece of clothing from the 1900's that you would want to wear?
Very unique and great post!
-Lion