So the big question is; how did I get interested in writing? What's so great about it?
As far as I can remember, I always loved to read. Around beginning grades of lower school, I was reading Magic Tree House books and such. By higher grades of lower school, I was reading Percy Jackson books. Now, I read sci-fi books like crazy. I do read other genres too though. I read the Reckoners series, Legend, Hunger Games, Throne of Glass, and so much more. I even did OBOB from 4-7 grade. Reading really inspired me to write. I though it would be fun to try to construct a story of my own.
For those who don't enjoy writing, you might be asking yourself; why do some people like writing so much? Well first off, in my opinion, writing is an art. It requires so much more than just typing up some sentences on a computer.
A writer has to think about a good story plan, choosing an idea for their story, character and bringing the characters to life, focusing their story, the plot, point of view, the beginning parts, dialogue, story tension and trying to keep their readers hooked, the ending, revising, polishing, the list never stops! Writing is making your own story come to life, it's like a movie, but better.
Once, I went to a book author talk, and Brandon Sanderson was giving it. Brandon Sanderson is an awesome author of the New York Times bestselling (soon to be trilogy) Reckoners series. He said to not think of writing as trying to write a really awesome book, but to think of it as training yourself to write a really awesome book, and how those were two ways of thinking. He really inspired me (he was the first amazing author I've met outside of Catlin) and I knew I had to be persistent with my writing.
I started really writing around fifth grade. Now I have fallen in love with it. I have written three major stories. From fifth to around sixth grade, I was writing a story called The Frozen Flame. It's sort of fantasy, and I've written roughly 54 pages.
Around sixth grade, I wrote a story called Evolution. It's more sci-fi, and I've written 34 pages.
Presently, I am writing a story called The Shadow Pariah: Diadem of Obsidian. It's fantasy, and I have written 25 pages, and counting. The Shadow Pariah is about a girl named Faerel Xilvaris. She is part of this group called the Pariah Shadow Dragons, or just Shadow Dragons. This group is made up of mostly young teenage criminals, people who were originally brutal assassins for another company, but these two groups parted ways. The company and the Shadow Dragons are at war with each other, they are both trying to obliterate each other, trying to stay one step in front of another.
This is my main idea. I might change some stuff later. I'm not even sure if this is my main plot.
This story is really bloody! It has some killing and romance.
I really believe writing everyday is important to developing your writing skills. It's no use waiting until you grow older or until you have enough time to write, because you have just wasted all those years with doing nothing.This is my main idea. I might change some stuff later. I'm not even sure if this is my main plot.
This story is really bloody! It has some killing and romance.
| Brandon Sanderson at Powell's Bookstore |
I really hope to get far into The Shadow Pariah, and I hope to make a novel out of it. I want to try to write at least 15 minutes per day, and if not, 5 minutes. I also want to try to get my sentences to run more smoothly, to not have my ideas bouncing all around.
Here's a link to most of the writing pieces I've done:
If you're interested, here are some excerpts of my major stories. You might find it interesting how my writing has improved over the years. I didn't put in Evolution, but you can check it at the link above:
The Frozen Flame
Earth, Water, Fire, Air, Ice and Spirit
Chapter One
Vik
Vik woke to the soft kiss of steel against his throat.
He whipped his knife out from under his pillow and lunged at the cloaked figure standing over him. The figure threw off it’s hood, revealing a girl with wavy blonde hair tumbling down along her back. She had icy blue eyes and wore a dark blue velvet cloak trailing behind her. Her face went into a smile.
Vik stopped his blade in motion midair. “Sheesh! Calm down Vik. It’s just me. At least you are pretty conscious even in sleep. Are you ready?” Iris’s voice.
Heart thumping, panic subsiding, Vik remembered their plan.
"Okay. I'll meet you outside. I still have to, you know," Vik said as he flew to his closet. Iris put her hood back on her head. With enough agility to overrule a cat, she opened Vik's window and leapt out out. Vik waited for the crash, but nothing came. Iris could still surprise him when she wanted too.
Vik caught sight of the moonlight casting a silvery light across the floor. He took a deep breath and let his feelings wash over him. He walked over to the mirror that was standing in the corner of his room. Seeing a 13 year old boy, with blonde tousled hair, and blue eyes, wearing a necklace of a red serpent's eye.
He had no idea why he still had the necklace. Still, his uncle kept drilling into him that he never, ever remove it.
But the one feature that haunted him his whole life was three pink scars that ran down his left forearm.
Vik touched his freezing fingers to it, and his scars prickled. He barely remembered how he got that.
Shadow Pariah
Diadem of Obsidian
Dear ------------------,
I dare not speak her name.
She is the bringer of fire.
The destroyer of worlds.
She is the sun, moon, and stars.
An outcast.
Whole civilizations crumble.
She is the assassin in the night.
Blood drips from her knives.
So please, -----------------, heed my warning.
Beware the ------------------------.
They are cruel and ruthless.
They will show you no mercy.
Beware.
Beware.
Can't you feel it?
A storm is coming.
The Obsidian Diadem is dangerous in the wrong hands.
You have to get it before they do.
They are coming.
Good luck,
৳௹◮⌥∅❦❈☍
♛♈Prologue
So there Faerel Xilvaris was, about to get sacrificed to the Dark Brothers on a mountain peak in front of a monument. To be honest, the view was quite beautiful to her. Solaris City spread out across, the twinkling lights, like stars against a night sky. The full moon, like a white spotlight. Those puny little humans down below, living their lives, completely oblivious and blind to the other species living amongst them.
But when she slid her eyes slightly to the right, left, or behind her, past the city, her view would be blocked by the monument and the Dark Brothers. Their blood-red cloaks cascaded to the ground. Faces hidden in the shadows of their hoods. Sinister candles lined the perimeter of the courtyard, their flickering light strangely comforting in a creepy sort of way.
The wooden pole left splinters against her back and bare forearms. The rope binding her bit into her wrists, almost cutting off the circulation to her fingers. Faerel's throat and tongue felt like sandpaper. Her stomach aches from days without food. The only thing keeping her warm was a tattered jacket hanging around her bony shoulders.
She was familiar with the customs of the Dark Brothers. She had angered their high council, and was to be executed on the steps of the monument, so that her blood would run down the obsidian surface, pooling at the bottom. It would serve as an offering to their gods and goddesses.
One of the brothers grabbed her by the arms, roughly pulling her around the pole so that she was facing the large steps.
The monument was made entirely of smooth, sleek obsidian. Grand pillars lined the entryway. Runes were carved into the walls, and torches lit with green flame lined the exterior.
"From the ancient book of Morn' dira Nhereas, we are gathered here to perform this sacred ritual. Your sacrifice is Faerel Xilvaris. She is guilty for the attempt of stealing the Sacred Diadem of Djarfajara, the ruling goddess. That crime is punishable by death," one of the Brothers referenced from a huge, red, leather-bound book.
Faerel felt the ropes being loosened from her wrists, and she was shoved up the slippery, black steps. She felt herself slip on the bottom step, and she threw her hands out in front of her to catch herself. Pain flared up her palms as the sharp edges of the stairs cut into them, the wind got knocked out of her Faerel's elbows jolted with the impact.
She bit her tongue to keep from crying out, the metallic taste of blood exploded in her mouth.
She had to hold herself back. She could kill these Brothers in seconds. But she needed to stick with the plan.
Dear Horsegirl26392,
ReplyDeleteI really like how you start out with how you got so interested in writing. I find it interesting that you got interested in writing by reading, because it feels like those two are always intwined together. A few questions I have are, how long have you loved writing? Why did you like the Reckoners Series by Brandon Sanderson, did you like the writing style?
Keep up the beautiful writing,
Lauren Mei
Dear LM/ Lauren Mei,
DeleteI have loved writing for as long as I could remember. I love books that include action, suspense, a little bit of romance, teenagers, sci fi, and fantasy, all that sort of good stuff. I do love the Reckoners Series, the writing style is awesome.
Dear Horsegirl26392,
ReplyDeleteI think that it is really cool how you are expressing how much you like writing. I think that it is cool how you got interested in writing from reading. I have some questions for you. Do you want to be a writer when you grow up? Who is your favorite author? And what is your favorite book.
Keep on Writing!
-Will
Dear Pigeon Calls/Will,
DeleteI do want to become a writer when I grow up. I at least hope to publish an awesome book some day. My favorite author, well, I have so many! Rick Riordan, Christopher Paolini, Marie Lu, Sarah J. Maas, J.K Rowling, the list goes on and on. My favorite sci-fi book is Michael Vey series, Insignia, Proxy, Legend, Reckoners series, etc. Fantasy is Throne of Glass series, Inheritance Trilogy, etc.
Dear Horsegirl26392,
ReplyDeleteI love how you connect reading to writing. I agree that those are two peas in a pod. Yes, writing is an art, and a very beautiful one, I love it too. But what do you think about sharing your writing with other people? This has always been hard for me. Also, do you want to be a writer when you choose a career?
Good luck on your novel,
Audrey
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteDear WolfWhisperer/Audrey,
DeleteI have thought about sharing my writing with other people. So far, my blog is the only place that I do. Sometimes, I'm nervous about doing so though. I do want to become a writer when I choose my career. :)
Dear Horsegirl26392,
ReplyDeleteI really connected to your post, as I have been reading ever since I knew how to open a book. I only have two questions. Do you ever see something in the world, and know you have to write about it? Do you just go home and type it up? Also, how do you write so many pages in a story? Do you ever get bored of a topic and stop writing?
Keep up the good work,
<3 -CC
Dear cc.cobb/CC,
ReplyDeleteYour question about if I saw anything in the world and if I write about it, do you mean if I get any inspiration from my daily life? Well, I do try to get inspiration where ever I go, each book I read, each movie or TV show I watch. Whenever I get an idea, I jot it down in a notebook. I write so many pages in my story because I write every day. I have the google docs app on my phone, and I write whenever can in the car. I try not to get bored in a topic, and I try to stay on the same topic. If I cannot keep writing the same writing piece, I start a new one.
Hi Horsegirl26392,
ReplyDeleteIt is really cool you write and it is a hobby for you. I remember when I was in 4th grade I did OBOB also. What is your favorite piece of writing you have done in your whole life and do you want to be a author when you grow up?
-Advay
Dear Advay jordan/Advay,
ReplyDeleteMy favorite piece of writing I have done so far is the Shadow Pariah. It is my favorite because it is my most recent piece of writing, and probably the best in portraying my present writing skills. And yes, I do hope to become a writer when I grow up.
Hi Horsegirl26392, I find it very cool that you like writing so much. I find writing to be fun sometimes but not always my favorite thing to do. I find it so amazing that you spend a good amount of time doing things that you love and will help you in the future. Do you read a lot too? If so what is your favorite book?
ReplyDeleteDear Sass all the way,
DeleteI read all the time. I am never not reading a book, I am always in the middle of one. My favorite book... That is tricky. I can't name all of them, but some mention able ones are: Throne of Glass Series, The Inheritance Series, Harry Potter Series, Endgame, Confessions of A Murder Suspect, Proxy, Vortex, etc. etc. So yeah, a lot.
Dear Horsegirl26392 very nice writing and I thought it was cool how you remembered the genres that you read around lower school and 6th grade. I have two questions for you. One is how many books do you think you read a year and the other is what was your favorite piece of writing that you wrote since your born?
ReplyDeleteBryan
Uh, I have probably read, like a million books per year. Maybe about 70 of so books. But I prefer thicker books anyway. I am never not reading a book, I am always in the middle of one. My most favorite piece of writing is probably the Shadow Pariah. It is my latest creation, and it displays my current writing level.
DeleteHi Horsegirl26392,
ReplyDeleteI like how you shared some of your peaces that you have written. I too love to write because it is way to lower stress levels. (Unless it's due the next day :) Have you ever thought of getting your writing published? If so which company would you want to publish it?
-Ethan
Dear E_T_H_A_N/Ethan,
DeleteI have occasionally thought about getting my writing published. But probably not until I get waaaaayyyy better at writing. I still have ways to go. I would want to publish my writing to: Abbeville Family, Harry N. Abrams, Inc., Ace Science Fiction and Fantasy, Alondra Press, LLC, American Carrige House Publishing, American Quilter's Society, etc. Only naming a few.
Dear Horsegirl26392,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you made the story really personal, and with a ton of detail, so we could connect with you. Do you prefer writing or reading? Why?
Kai
Dear cool kid/Kai,
DeleteI really have no idea if I like writing or reading better. I really benefit from both, reading a published professional book really inspires me to write differently.
Dear Horsegirl26392, I liked the pieces you shared with us they were so descriptive! Do you spend a lot of time writing? You're quite skilled.
ReplyDeleteTruman
Dear Shrimp Jesus/Truman,
DeleteI really do spend A LOT of time writing. I have the google docs app on my phone, and I write on my story in the car every single time we are driving somewhere.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHey Mayumi. I really enjoyed reading what you believe writing can be and how you bring things to life with the words you use. Why do you think writing is better than a movie? Movies show so many details.
ReplyDeleteHey Mayumi. I really enjoyed reading what you believe writing can be and how you bring things to life with the words you use. Why do you think writing is better than a movie? Movies show so many details.
ReplyDeleteHey Mayumi. I really enjoyed reading what you believe writing can be and how you bring things to life with the words you use. Why do you think writing is better than a movie? Movies show so many details.
ReplyDeleteDear venom_score/Tanner,
ReplyDeleteI think writing is so much better than movies. But don't get me wrong, I do enjoy watching movies and TV shows filled with action stuff. My favorite TV shows are stuff like Dr. Who, Sherlock Holmes, Continuum, etc. To be honest, I do take some inspiration and ideas from TV shows and movies.
But books are better because you can use your imagination. You can dream up how the characters look, what the setting looks like. It is quite broad, and I generally enjoy reading writing better. In TV shows and movies, the characters and setting is "written in stone." You can't use your imagination, you are just watching the action happen before your eyes.
-May
Hey Horsegirl26392,
ReplyDeleteI loved reading about what inspires your writing, and I will have to take some of your tips and tricks to heart when writing on my own! I know personally I have read what you have to offer and it is phenomenal. For any budding writers (or even experienced writers like myself) do you have any tips/shortcuts/advice? Keep on churning out these amazing pieces of writing!
-Madeleine
Dear horsegirl,
ReplyDeleteI loved your piece. It was beautiful and vey smooth. Do you find writing like a voice where you can take experiences and twist them to do the impossible? Do you have many rough drafts that scrapped, and if you do, why don't you like them?
~Aarushi
Dear Horsegirl26392,
ReplyDeleteI really like your blog post. I think that it is full of your passion for writing and that really shows in your post. I was wondering, do you think you will ever try to have a book you write get published?
-Jane
Hi Mayumi,
ReplyDeleteOh, my, gosh…Amazing writing!!! I love how you added the stories that you wrote in your blog post! I also love that you wrote where this passion of writing came from, and that you added the author's advice! I was wondering… how do you have the time for writing? You wrote that you try to write 5-15 minutes each day, but you also have your other activities. How do you do all that?
Keep up the AMAZING writing!!!!! Love it!!!!!!!
Chiara
Dear Mayumi,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you talked about why you love writing so much and how reading inspired you to write. I was wondering if you plan on being an author later in life?
great job!
-Emma
Dear Horsegirl,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this blog. I really like reading and writing too. How do you get your ideas for your stories? Who edits your stories?
Elise
Dear Mayumi,
ReplyDeleteI really admired how much time you put into your writing! I thought it was really interesting that you are so devoted to writing. I was wondering, what are some of your writing goals in the future?
Dear Mayumi,
ReplyDeleteI really liked you post it really showed they you put a lot of time into your writing. How many stores have you written? What gives you the ideas for them?
Hi Mayumi,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your piece because you involved a lot of great parts to make the piece great, like the prologue. I was wondering how you chose this idea?
Sincerely,
Ramya
Dear Mayumi,
ReplyDeleteI like how you included examples of your own writing in your blog. What did you think of Brandon Sanderson books?
-Jimmy
This is so amazing, your such a amazing wrtiter and i love getting to hear you writing and I love reading it to! I really think you should publish! Whats you fav book and why?
ReplyDeleteTo Mayumi,
ReplyDeleteI love how you connected reading to writing. They share many similarities! Remember sky is the limit! Take your writing as far as it can go!! I love how you are so passionate to meat authors and learn and get inspired from them! I love all the beginnings to your three books you have made! How do you choose your ideas! Do you use a planner or do you just randomly write?
Nice article!
-Lion
Horsegirl26392,
ReplyDeleteI love how you connect reading to writing. I agree that those two are peas in a pod. Writing is an art, and a very beautiful one, I love it too! The sky is the limit with writing, so take it however far you want to! Do you want your future occupation to include writing?
Dream, eat, write, repeat,
-Flexi