"Ayea, Ayea I yelled as I kicked and punched the training dummies!" I was 6 years old living in sunny California with palm tress everywhere. I learnt martial arts. When we moved to Portland, Oregon later that year in February.
My mom wanted me to start learning martial arts or taekwondo so we found a dojo near out house. My mom used to sit and wait for my classes to get over and decided she would join too she dragged my dad into it. I was a year advanced of them but we could go to some classes together. I went there three times a week. I was a very serious kid back then and wanted to be like the other black belts. I got my yellow belt, then my next belt and 2 years later I got my poom belt which is the belt before black belt. I worked very hard that year and was scared I would fail my black belt test.
I tested when I was ten years old and got my black belt. My parents got their's the following year. I was sitting watching them while testing and remembered me when I was 10 years old. Its really cool to have your whole family be black belts. In the summers I used to teach classes my dad would drop me off at three and pick me up at six and we would all do class together and go home. Doing that helped me learn responsibility and how to act around kids. I had to stop in 6th grade when the school became a little harder and sometimes regret that now. I am really glad that I am a black belt and my family are black belts too.
My mom wanted me to start learning martial arts or taekwondo so we found a dojo near out house. My mom used to sit and wait for my classes to get over and decided she would join too she dragged my dad into it. I was a year advanced of them but we could go to some classes together. I went there three times a week. I was a very serious kid back then and wanted to be like the other black belts. I got my yellow belt, then my next belt and 2 years later I got my poom belt which is the belt before black belt. I worked very hard that year and was scared I would fail my black belt test.
I tested when I was ten years old and got my black belt. My parents got their's the following year. I was sitting watching them while testing and remembered me when I was 10 years old. Its really cool to have your whole family be black belts. In the summers I used to teach classes my dad would drop me off at three and pick me up at six and we would all do class together and go home. Doing that helped me learn responsibility and how to act around kids. I had to stop in 6th grade when the school became a little harder and sometimes regret that now. I am really glad that I am a black belt and my family are black belts too.

Hey Advay,
ReplyDeleteI liked your post and how your whole family became black belts. That seems really cool that you guys can all do an activity together and have something you're all passionate about. I didn't know you were a black belt! If you could go back in time, would you have kept on doing marshal arts?
-sophie :)
Hey Advay,
ReplyDeleteI really like your post and I like how you got your black belt before your parents. Its also really cool that you got to teach classes and help other people learn. I am curious if you had of never stopped Taekwondo, how good you would be and what degree of black belt you be? I am also a black belt in Taekwondo.
-Bryan
Hi Bryan,
DeleteI am a first degree black belt and I probably would be a 2nd degree or would be testing soon. I probably would have done a a lot better since then because I have grown and am more capable of doing harder things.
-Advay K
Sup Advay,
ReplyDeleteI think it's cool how you were able to get a black belt along with your family. Also cool that at 10 you could teach classes and help other people out. Do you ever want to go back to learning/teaching taekwondo.
From,
Michael
Hi Advay,
ReplyDeleteI like your blog post because it shows your journey to becoming a black belt. I had no idea that parents and adults could become black belts too. I think you explaining how your family members all worked hard to becoming black belts is cool. What motivated you to start doing martial arts? Cool blog post.
Defne
Dear Advay,
ReplyDeleteIt's really amazing how your mom got your whole family to do taekwondo. What was the test for getting a black belt like? Was it hard? Was it interesting watching your parents test for a black belt?
Lauren Mei
Dear Advay,
ReplyDeleteI think it's really sweet that you teach classes to other people so they can learn taekwondo. It's also super cool that your whole family has lack belts and you watched your parents test for black belts after you had yours! I wanted to know what is you favorite move in taekwondo?
ELLIE
Advay,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you went through the years and talked about how long it took you to get each belt. Also how you went for being taught to teaching? Would you ever use what you learned as self defense?
Lucy
Hi Advay,
ReplyDeleteI think it is really cool that your whole family has black belts, and how you teach other people taekwondo. Do you think you will ever go back to taekwondo?
-Jane
Woah Advay! It was an awesome addition that you talked about your family too. I also liked the small piece of imagery you used when describing Cali. What disciplines did you learn because of martial arts? How did it feel to be a black belt watching your parents as a lower level than you? Awesome post!!!
ReplyDelete-Tanner
Hi Advay,
ReplyDeleteI thought it was really cool how you became a black belt before your parents. I was wondering if you have ever thought of taking up taekwondo again?
Hi Advay,
ReplyDeleteI really like how you started your blog post with dialogue, and that you started out writing as 6 years old and then ended your post with the present. I was wondering, since you miss taekwondo, why don't you compete in tournaments?
Great post!
Chiara
Hi Advay,
ReplyDeleteI really like your piece because you had a timeline of you work. I was wondering if you would do taekwondo again?
Sincerely,
Ramya
Hi Advay,
ReplyDeleteI liked how your family getting black belts was a chain reaction, you convinced your mom, and your mom convinced your dad. I was wondering though, Is there anything higher than black belts?
-Ibrahim A
Hi Advay,
ReplyDeleteI liked reading your post! I really like the picture! I was wondering if your whole family including uncles and aunt are blackballs too?
nice job!
-Emma
Advay, I just have to say you must be great at taekwondo! The fact that you got your black belt before your parents means you must be like a master. I hope that sixth grade gets easier.
ReplyDelete