Sprinting down the runway, I can feel the blue carpet against my feet with every step. Fifteen feet, ten feet, then five, now time for take off. I hurtle into the air, punch off the springboard, and place my hands down with perfect form. My body flips straight over beginning a front handspring. While in the air I picture my landing. My feet touch the big blue mat and I squat down to land, lowering my hands parallel to the ground. People clap as I walk over to get high fives from my coach and then my team.
Now, seated with my team I wait, thinking about my form, anxiously guessing my score. A different world, a different mind set, and a different desire when I competed as a gymnast.
Now, seated with my team I wait, thinking about my form, anxiously guessing my score. A different world, a different mind set, and a different desire when I competed as a gymnast.
Gymnastics occupied many hours of my weekly life. Every week I trained four days for three hours each day. Boy gymnasts compete on six different events. At the gym I trained at and competed for, I practiced each day including a warm-up, three different events, and stretching.
While the training season was year round, we competed in meets for about 5 months on weekends. I remember being anxious but focused every meet, thinking about form while trying to remember to have fun. Each meet was an opportunity to get used to being judged, and realizing I have one shot to show them what I got. Rose-City was our biggest competition and the last meet in the regular season.
I traveled to Washington, Montana, and Idaho for Regional Championships. Many of my teammates and friends also qualified each year. We just chilled at each new locale, living the dream, and anxiously awaiting the most important meet of my career.
Along with all the memories of traveling, some of my favorite times were just working in the gym with my teammates, striving to get better and having fun. I had so many amazing experiences made possible because of, the gym and gymnastics.. I put hard work in training everyday, which showed through all my gymnastic accomplishments.
Dear venom_score,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you talked about gymnastics with a really strong passion, especially the part when you said, "I had so many amazing experiences made possible because of the gym and gymnastics". What was your favorite part at a meet? bars? tumbling? When I did gymnastics mine was bars! I loved you story!
Lucy
I loved every event. Although the high bar got kind of scary when we learned how to backflips off them. Each event had unique thrills. Watching Gabby Douglas on the uneven bars in the olympics was amazing. I am interested why you liked the uneven bars so much, and if you liked any other events?
DeleteHi venom_score,
ReplyDeleteI love your post, how it makes you feel about gymnastics and how you keep reminding the audience of how fun it was. I also like your picture, and that you included a description of how the gymnastics system works for the people who don't know. I noticed in your writing that it was in past tense, so did you stop gymnastics? Since you liked gymnastics so much, why did you quit? Usually people quit because they don't like what they doing, or because they don't have enough time for it. Is that why you quit?
Great writing!
Chiara
Hey Chiara thanks for reading my post. I stopped gymnastics a little over a year ago. I quit because it lost my interest for a second and I seemed to find other sports that I loved. It was similar reasons to the ones you suggested.
DeleteHey venom_score,
ReplyDeleteAwesome story! I can relate to your hard work and enthusiasm with my dancing and gymnastics experiance. It occupies most of my free time and energy, but I am willing to give that up due to my passion and love for my craft.
-- Via
Hi venom_score,
ReplyDeleteYour blog was really cool. Have you ever thought about ever doing parkour? And can you do a front flip?
-Advay K.
Hi venom_score,
ReplyDeleteI like your story a lot. I never knew that much about gymnastics and by reading this I learned a lot. I like how you describe how hard it is to qualify for meets and how much work you have to put into it. I do swimming and like gymnastics, we have a state championship that we train for six months for at practice everyday and at other swim meets to qualify for. I like your pictures. Cool blog post!
Defne
Hi venom_score,
ReplyDelete(I forgot to add my question)
How difficult was it to qualify for state championships in gymnastics and what events did you do?
Hi venom_score,
ReplyDeleteI love the start to your post where it explains what is going through your head at the start of your run. You guys must have worked very hard to make it through 5 months of weekends! What other sports do excel in?
-Ethan
Hi venom_score,
ReplyDeletei really loved ow in ur post you talked about your love for gymnastics and how there is a story and thoughts behind the writing. I wanted to know if you were ever proud of a specific competition?
Ellie
Hi venom_score,
ReplyDeleteI really like the start of your blog post, because we start in the midst of action. It's really amazing. How long have you been doing gymnastics before you quit? If you could do gymnastics again would you do it? What made you quit?
Lauren Mei
Hi venom_score,
ReplyDeleteI like your post and how you talk about your love for gymnastics and the story is good. Why did you quit?
-Jane
Hi Tanner,
ReplyDeleteI like your post because you explained the feeling you had when you used to compete. I was wondering if you would ever go back and do gymnastics again? Nice job:)
Sincerely,
Ramya
Hi Tanner,
ReplyDeleteI read your post and I thought it was really cool. I like how you included so much detail on how gymnastics works. You said you were at level 5 I am curious how many levels are there? Also in your piece you have a strong interest in gymnastics and I can tell you care about it. I was wondering why did you quit and when did you quit?
Woah! I thought this was really cool! It seems like you were very good. Why did you quit ?
ReplyDeleteHi Tanner,
ReplyDeleteWow your post was so cool I never knew you did gymnastics! From 1st-2nd grade I did gymnastics too but I wasn't very good. I lied the picture. I was wondering why you quite gymnastics?
nice job!
-Emma
venom_score
ReplyDeleteWow gymnastics is such a cool sport! I just love how your post is in a story format. That is way cool!
Do you have a favorite event?
Keep on tumbling!
-Lion