I love to dance, I take ballet classes at The Portland Ballet. I have taken classes since I was nine, which is a little late to start but I still enjoy it very much. When I finish my class I sit outside the door to the level six classes, level six is the highest level, and I watch the ballerinas spin and jump across the floor. I watch them balance on the tip of their pointe shoes.
When I was in fourth grade my mom signed me up for an audition at The Portland Ballet. Two weeks after the audition I got a yellow card that said I got in and would be starting classes in September. I didn’t like the first few classes, but after a while I started to like them and soon I was practicing everywhere I went.
People don’t understand that ballet is a sport, a lot of people think it’s dainty and fragile and doesn’t take any physical demand. But the people who say that don’t have a clue about how hard ballet is. Ballet isn’t something you can fake, you can’t make it look like you know how to do something without actually doing right. If you don’t use correct form you can get a serious injury.
Earlier this year I broke my foot during the ballet audition to get into a different level. I had to spend three weeks in a cast and a month in a walking boot. When People asked me how I broke it I would tell them that I broke it doing ballet. They would give me a look of disbelief as if I was lying, some would just ask how can u get hurt in ballet also with the tone indicating they didn’t believe it.
Many people don’t think ballet is a real sport or hard but they don’t know how many hours most dancers put into practice. They also aren’t aware of the fact that many of the boy ballerinas were football players and soccer players who gave up their previous sport to do ballet.
Dear Princess Pink,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this piece, and I love how passionate you are about ballet! I liked how you talked about how most people don't understand just how hard ballet really is. I was wondering if you plan on doing dance professionally as an adult?
sincerely,
-Emma
Hi Princess Pink,
ReplyDeleteYour post was very nice to read. Before moving here, I didn't know much about ballet, except that it was a dance where people stand on their tippy toes and do hard twirls. I knew it was hard, but only after moving here have I realized just how hard it is! I am sorry about your audition.
Which level are you in now? Do you ever feel like it is too hard and you feel like giving up?
Kavya
Hi Princess pink,
ReplyDeleteAwesome story! It was so relatable with my dancing experiance! it is never fun being injured, especially during an audition. You wrote this very well!
-- Via
Hi Princess pink,
ReplyDeleteAwesome story! It was so relatable with my dancing experiance! it is never fun being injured, especially during an audition. You wrote this very well!
-- Via
Hi Princess pink,
ReplyDeleteVery interesting blog. I have heard the NFL players do ballet in order to be more flexible and so when they run they can put there foot into the touchdown zone and that ballet helps with there balance. What sport is ballet like if you had to choose?
-Advay K.
Hi Khulan,
ReplyDeleteI really like how you bring up the point that ballet is a sport. How long have you been doing ballet? What made you start? Do you think ballet helps with other sports?
Lauren Mei
Dear Khulan,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this piece! It was very interesting. Are you back doing ballet now after you broke your foot? Also, do you play any other sports?
-Jane
Hi Khulan,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your piece, because I used to do dance. I was wondering if there was every a moment you just wanted to quit?
Sincerely,
Ramya
Hi Khulan,
ReplyDeleteI really like your post. Your writing is so thoughtful and I can tell you really love Ballet. I was wondering were you able to go right back into Ballet after you hurt your foot?
-Catie
Love your story! I can tell that you love dance! Im so glad you went bakc to dancing after your foot! how long did it take to heal ?
ReplyDeleteDear Khulan,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this post. The way you didn't like it at first is really relatable to me because i didn't like piano at first, even though ballet and piano is different in many ways. When you hurt your foot did you miss ballet?
Elise
TO Unknown,
ReplyDeleteWow some people can be critical! Actually at first I would of thought what an easy sport, but as I started to learn more about it, I was shocked at the amount of skill and practice you need! How can you even stand on your tip of your toe! Wow!
Thanks so much for sharing this amazing thoughtful blog article!
Have you ever felt like quitting?
-Lion