By: Emma
I have always loved dogs, but while I have a dog just for companionship hundreds of soldiers around the world today use dogs not just as loyal friends, but also as brave animals that fight in war. Right now there are many dogs that fight in wars all around the world, but it turns out that more than 200 years ago, in the American Revolution, dogs played a huge part in that war as well. A lot has changed since the American Revolution, but It seems that the loyalty and bravery of dogs in battle have not.
The Revolutionary War started in 1775 and ended in 1783. When most people think of the Revolutionary War they think of battles like Valley Forge, The Boston Tea Party, and brave determined soldiers. I think that everyone should start remembering and honoring the brave dogs that fought tirelessly and selflessly by the side of soldiers in the Revolutionary War. One of the first soldiers to use dogs in the Revolutionary War was General George Washington. You may be surprised to learn that Washington was a prolific dog owner. Our first president and commander of the Revolutionaries was a lifelong dog owner, so when Washington went off to fight the Revolutionary War he brought along his beloved hound Sweetlips. George Washington was not the only one who was accompanied by his dog in war, many of Washington’s men also had dogs. Dogs were a very important part of a soldier’s life as they provided companionship in battle, protection against wild animals, and they could also help to hunt food.
The Continental Army was not the only army with dogs. Across the battlefield from the Revolutionaries the British Army also had dogs. At the Siege of Yorktown their was a large British Bulldog that chased the British cannonballs fired over the American trenches. One Soldier on the Continental army wrote “Our officers wished to catch him and oblige him to carry a message from them into the town to his masters, but he looked too formidable for any of us to encounter.” The bulldog might have done it’s job in scaring the rebels but eventually The Americans were victorious at Yorktown and ended the war.
I am in awe of the bravery and tenacity of these amazing military dogs. Dogs played a big part both in the Revolutionary War and wars today in Afghanistan and Iraq. That said, I do not necessarily believe that war is the answer to conflict. Whenever possible I think that we should try to solve our problems through negotiation rather than violence. Although these war dogs are incredibly heroic in my eyes, I think we need to take these dogs and their soldiers out of the war and let them live peaceful happy lives. We owe that to them.
Hi Em,
ReplyDeleteI thought that your blog was amazing and that it perfectly told the story of military dogs through and through! Your use of pictures was also moving. I was wondering how you chose to write about this subject
Take care,
Will
Hi Will,
DeleteThanks for the comment I chose to right about this subject from reading a article in a magazine about military dogs.
thanks for the comment,
-Emma
Hi Emma!
ReplyDeleteI love your post! I did not know that 600 dogs were actively participating in the Iraq and Afghanistan war. I was wondering how old the dogs are that they use? How long does it take to train them? Nice job! :)
-Annika
Dear Annika,
DeleteThank you for the comment! Dogs in wars range in age but they are all definitely adults. It takes a long time to train dogs. War dogs are usually trained from when they are puppies so I would say that it takes about two or more years to train these dogs.
sincerely,
-Emma
Dear Emma,
ReplyDeleteI love how you take something personal to you and you put it into something about the Revolution! I think your post is really good. I did not know that George Washington had dogs. I was wondering about how many dogs were used in wars, and did every country use dogs in wars.
-Jane
Dear Jane,
DeleteThanks for the comment I don't really know exactly how many dogs are used in wars around the world but I do know that 600 military dogs are fighting for the US right now.
from
-Emma
Dear Emma,
ReplyDeleteI love how you take something personal to you and you put it into something about the Revolution! I think your post is really good. I did not know that George Washington had dogs. I was wondering about how many dogs were used in wars, and did every country use dogs in wars.
-Jane
Hi Em,
ReplyDeleteIt is really cool you compared todays dogs to the dogs in the past. I have heard about military dogs and think that they are a key part. What type of dog do you have?
-Advay k
Hey Advay,
DeleteThanks for the comment! I have a yellow lab.
-Emma
Hi Emma
ReplyDeleteI knew that dogs played a role in the world these days, but I never knew that it was also happening back in the revolutionary war! Did you know that national geographic did an issue on that ( http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2014/06/war-dogs/paterniti-text ? I was wondering what kinds of dogs are used today for security and war, and what purpose they play? Navigating minefields, finding bombs, or just helping cure soldiers PTSD?
Thanks,
James
Hi James,
DeleteThanks for commenting! Mostly big dogs like hounds and german shepards are used in wars. Dogs in wars do a verity of things but yes some are used for navigating minefields, finding bombs, or helping cure soldiers PTSD.
Thanks,
-Emma
Dear Em,
ReplyDeleteGreat post you packed quite a lot of information into here. it's interesting to see how dogs evolved into what they are today. Do you think dogs will have as many uses in the future as they do now?
-Truman
Hey Truman,
DeleteThanks for the comment! Yes I do think that dogs will have many uses in the future because dogs are so important in wars today I see no reason armies would stop using them.
Thanks,
-Emma
Hi Em,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you compared your life or modern day dogs to the dogs in the past. I always knew that there were police dogs and dogs at the airport, but I never knew that dogs were used in wars. I have so much respect for these brave animals and your piece really honored these brave animals. I was wondering if there were any other war time pets besides dogs? Great job!
-Catie
Hey Catie,
DeleteThanks for the comment! Well in the Revolutionary war horses were used a lot in that war but not so much today. Horses aren't used as much so dogs are the only animal widely used in the US military.
thanks,
-Emma
Dear Em,
ReplyDeleteI really like how you bring up the point that dogs are so much more than pets without directly saying it. You said that dogs still work in the army, are any dogs killed? If so, how many per year? Are there any other animals that have high respect in a community?
Lauren Mei
Hey Lauren Mei,
DeleteYes many war dogs are killed each year I'm not exactly sure how many. Dogs are the only animal that I know of that are widely used in an army or other community.
thanks,
-Emma
Dear Em,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how much information on dogs you included in your blog post! I learned so much about how dogs are so important in the war, but also now. I didn't realize that dogs were even used it wars. I was wondering, was George Washington's dog Sweetlips trained for war, or did he just bring the dog because he wanted to?
Hey Sassafrasser,
DeleteThanks for the comment! As far as I know Sweetlips was not trained in battle, but George Washington brought him into the war as more of a companion then a participating soldier dog.
Thanks,
-Emma
Dear Emma,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this post. I like how you wrote about dogs in war because people usually think dogs as pets and pets only. Do you think dogs in war has helped us win? Do you think dogs should help with war?
Elise
Emma,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you talked about a little known part of the American Revolution rather than something generic. I was wondering though, did dogs also take part in both world wars?
-Ibrahim A
Ibrahim,
DeleteI don't think they were used in both world wars but I'm not sure.
thanks for commenting,
-Emma
Hi Emma,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post because you talked about how dogs are soldiers best friends now and then. I was wondering if you have a relationship like this with one of your pets?
Sincerely,
Ramya
Hi Ramya,
Deletethanks for commenting. I am not a soldier so I don't have a soldier-to-dog kind of relationship with my dog but I still love her very much.
thanks for the comment,
-Emma