Wednesday, February 4, 2015

20%

The Importance Of 20%

     Some working environments such as google and our word cultures class offer a break from the everyday work to take a little time off call 20%. This means means out of working a 100% of the time 20% of the time you get to take a little break and pursue anything you want to learn. For example for my 20% I practice my guitar, read, draw and sometimes, I even watch TV.

     Many working environments don't want to give their workers, employee's, and student a 20% because they want people to be working or learning all day every day, which isn't really a bad thing, but many people have other interests besides working and studding, and when people have to much on their plate AND try to do their fun activates, people can get stressed. 


     If you were to give your students and employees a 20% it could create a better working environment, people would me less stressed and people wouldn't have that attitude that "homework (or work,work) is taking over my life". While you might think of a 20% time as just free play, if used correctly it can give a opportunity to learn something completely new and to learn more about something you already do. So ask your teacher or bosses for you 20%, hey you never know unless you try, so go out and learn something new. After all you know what they say all work and no play makes Jack a very dull boy.

19 comments:

  1. This concept wasn't around when I was working, but now that I'm retired I'm taking much more than 20% and loving it! Great idea. Hope you'll find yourself in environments where they'll believe in the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helena,
    I really enjoyed reading this post. I liked how you described why 20% was good for people. I was wondering who made 20%?

    Sincerely
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helena,

    I really liked your blog post. It effectively described how to make time for work and perusing other hobbies or activities. I was wondering how you came up with the idea to write on this topic.

    Kavya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Elise,
    I'm not quite sure who invented the idea of 20%. I heard of it from Paul, who said he got the idea from google.

    Helena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Kavya,
    I got the idea to write this post because i really injured my 20% time i thought people would want to know about it so they could ask for it.

    Helena

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Helenalue,

    I enjoy the 20%. I usually find my self on my computer doing hw and listening to music and the 20% rule is was completely forgotten in my mind until you wrote about it. Do you think that all classes should have this rule?

    -Advay K.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Helena!

    I like how you explain the importance of 20% because it is a valuable thing to know. I also like how you explain what you do in your 20% time. Sometimes I get really stressed about about schoolwork and other things, and I forget about enjoying myself. This is a really cool blog post!

    Defne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Advay,
    I do think that all of the classes should have this rule. It would relieve stress and make school more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Helena,
    I didn't even know that there was a label for the 20%. I love how you decided to write about this topic and your evidence was very convincing. I wanted to know if you have ever asked a teacher to have 20% off time?
    Sincerely,
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Helena,
    I didn't even know that there was a label for the 20%. I love how you decided to write about this topic and your evidence was very convincing. I wanted to know if you have ever asked a teacher to have 20% off time?
    Sincerely,
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Helenalue18,

    This is an amazing blog post. It's really interesting how you bring up the point that if we get 20% we learn/work better. Do you know anybody who doesn't get their 20%?

    Lauren Mei

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Helena. I liked how you described what you did in your own 20%. What benefits besides stress relief do you think 20% gives? Do you think 20% can help increase work production because you give your mind a break to refocus and come back fresh? Great post!
    -Tanner

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Helena,

    I really enjoyed reading you piece because I have heard about this a little, but no a lot. I was wondering if you know someone who doesn't get there 20%?

    Sincerely,
    Ramya

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Helena,

    I loved your post, and how you described the importance of having that rest time to learn anything you want! I also loved your pictures, which came in at the right time. I was wondering, do you have a good amount of 20%? If not, why?

    Awesome post!
    Chiara

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Helena,
    Your blog is great! I really like your images. I also really like your through description of 20%. I was wondering if you had 20% at your old school?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi helena!!
    I loved your blog post!! This is so cool, ive never heard of it! I love how you described 20%. When did you 1st learn 20% ?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Helenalue18,
    I liked how you talked about what you do during your 20% time, my uncle works at google and he tells me the same. I was wondering, where did you first hear about 20%?
    -Ibrahim A.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Helena,
    I really enjoyed reading your post and I also liked your use of pictures. In the summer do people get more then 20% because they have no school?

    nice post!
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  19. Helenalue18,
    Oh my gosh, I have never heard of 20 percent! Thanks for sharing this! That is so interesting. I would of never guess that 20 percent means a break off of life! DO you think 20 percent can increase work production?
    Nice post!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete