Many people tell me that riding isn't Many people say that they have ridden a horsae before, that they have been on trail rides, that they have ridden a horse at the countery fair and it was the easiest thing they have ever done. I hate to brake it to you, but thats not what I do. I jump a 2000 pound anamail that as a mind of its own, over things hoping that it will let me. Hoping that my legs are stong enough to tell him to jump the object. Knowing that at any moment my horse could diside that they dont want me to jumo them and stop bunk me off and run over me. And you say its not a sport. I pracice weekly, just like any football player would do, I have "games" just like any baseball player would have.
You start out as the little girl standing on your tippy toes to look over the gate to watch the older girl jump over huge jumps that one day you dream about doing. Till one day your the girl in the arena jumping the jumps, looking over at the gate at the little girls withthe big bows and braids in there hair wishing that one day, they would be doing the same thing that you are. This cycle never ends, Theres always going to be someone better out there, therees always going to be the girls who have the 35 thousand jumper ponies. Theres always going to be those girls who get to ride 7 times a week. Just lie any other sport, practice makes perfect.
You always have to start somewhere. There is no way your going to get on a horse and in a week be jumping. Everything takes time. Just like if you were starting soccer for the 1st day, changes arenyour not going to make the club team.
Riding teaches you many things, like to not take things for rantet. That no matter what happens to be thankful. Because I don't care if your trip was a shoe-in for champion, or you got disqualified at your first fence. You walk out of that ring, pet your horse. And thank him for not killing you. Because you know damn well he could have.
You have to start from the bottom and move up. You have to find the trust. Build the stangth and relize that one day , if you dont give up, you will get there. You will have the 100 blue ribbions pinned to your walls. You will looked at by the little girls at the gate,
Not everyone can hear the silent languge between a horse and its rider, not everyone can trust there life with a 2000 pound animal, and not everyone has the guts, blood, sweat, tears and dedication needed to be part of this world. But equestrains are no ordinary people and horses are no ordianry animals. The only one who truly understand this world are the ones who are part of it.


Hey Izzy (a.k.a. tiadontcare ;) ) ,
ReplyDeleteI loved reading this piece, and your passion for what you do is really inspiring. I love how you talk about watching the girl who gets to ride everyday, jumping high just like you want to one day. I have seen that a lot in ballet, and I remember when I was three watching the 'big girls' dance on their tippy toes, and I would come up to them after class and ask if I could feel there pointe shoes. I also can relate to the constant strain of people telling you that what you do is not a sport. My ballet teacher has a sign in her office that says 'if ballet was easy it would be called football'. I think that horseback riding/jumping is a very competitive strenuous sport as well, and it's great that you're putting people in their place. Preach it girl! :)
-Chloe
Hey Izzy (a.k.a. tiadontcare ;) ) ,
ReplyDeleteI loved reading this piece, and your passion for what you do is really inspiring. I love how you talk about watching the girl who gets to ride everyday, jumping high just like you want to one day. I have seen that a lot in ballet, and I remember when I was three watching the 'big girls' dance on their tippy toes, and I would come up to them after class and ask if I could feel there pointe shoes. I also can relate to the constant strain of people telling you that what you do is not a sport. My ballet teacher has a sign in her office that says 'if ballet was easy it would be called football'. I think that horseback riding/jumping is a very competitive strenuous sport as well, and it's great that you're putting people in their place. Preach it girl! :)
-Chloe
Hey chloe ( a.k.a chloethecarrot )
DeleteI also think that ballet and riding can relate, in the way of people thinking that they are not sports when really they are very hard and you have to have the skill and be in shape just like basketball or soccer or lacrosse, I also play all those sports and i think that riding is the hardest one of all. I use to dance too and I think that it is a very hard sport too, and it takes a lot of skill and training :) thanks for the comment chloe
Hi Tiadontcare,
ReplyDeleteThis is a really cool blog. I have never rode a horse before and I wonder what it will be like. How much training does it require to ride a horse and If you had to choose a sport it is like what would you choose?
-Advay K
Hi tiadontcare,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your blog post it was so descriptive and really showed you passion for ridding. Do you think you will ever stop riding?
-Samma
Dear Izzy,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your post and your argument that horse-back riding is in fact a sport is very convincing. Do you play any other sports beside horse-back riding?
-Jane
Dear Izzy I really enjoyed your blog post. I thought that it talked a lot about your experience riding and how tough it really is. Is there any other types of horse back riding other than jumping?
ReplyDelete-Finn
Dear Izzy I really enjoyed your blog post. I thought that it talked a lot about your experience riding and how tough it really is. Is there any other types of horse back riding other than jumping?
ReplyDelete-Finn
Dear Tiadontcare,
ReplyDeleteI really like how you talk about how you fell in love with horseback riding from the beginning and then now. It's a really interesting story. How many hours did you have to practice to consistently be able to do a jump with a horse? Did you ever get frustrated at yourself or the horse?
Lauren Mei
Hi Izzy,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your blog. I really liked how you explained the details of your horse riding career. You have a strong love for horses and I can tell you really care about them. I can tell you put so much time and effort into this piece and it really shows through. Your pictures are really cute! I was wondering how many horses you have had? Do you see yourself riding in 5 years? Great Job!!!!!
-Catie
Hi Izzy,
ReplyDeleteI really like your post because you described your horse riding career. I was wondering if you ever had any doubts through riding horses?
Sincerely,
Ramya
Hi Izzy,
ReplyDeleteI loved your piece so much. Having a little experience riding (mostly trotting and walking slowly :P) makes me relate to your piece so well. I love how the title is about a silent language because that's how I think about horse back riding too: kind of a connection between you and your horse but without any words being spoken. I was wondering if you have been hurt horse back riding.
nice job,
-Emma
Dear Izzy,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this blog. It's obvious you love horse riding so much! I've ridden horses a few times but never have felt the silent language you describe. What does this language feel like?
Elise
Hi Izzy,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you talked about how horse riding really felt. I also thought it was really cool that you talked about how there is a secret language between a horse and the rider. I was wondering, do you do jumps on your horse?
Unknown,
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, when I thought you meant an ordinary horse, but you go on a 2000 pound animal! Wow that's incredible! That is so cool how there is a secret language between a horse and a rider! DO you ever race?
-Lion