Friday, February 20, 2015

The Passion of a Candy Maker

Candy has been here since the cavemen years where candy was just gooey honey, kind of like a taffy. In 2000 BC Egypt candy started becoming more advanced by adding fruit and nuts to honey. Although, you may ask how did we get from natural honey to factory made chocolate bars? Well it all started when a man named Cortez brought back a chocolate drink from Spain in the late 1700’s.
Cortez was a rich aristocrat and explorer who brought from America to Europe a chocolate drink. First only rich people drank this, but over time the demand became larger and larger so people came up with a chocolate bar. In 1847 in America they made a chocolate bar that used a machine called the hydraulic press that was created in 1828. This machine essentially ground up cocoa beans into a powder, then that powder was mixed in with milk and other flavors, and then frozen in molds.
In 1894 the Hershey's candy bar was made and is still popular and so are other candies we had way back when like Hershey Kisses, Havilland Thin Mints, Candy Buttons, and Whoppers. Those candies are only four out of hundreds of other candies that we had in the 1800’s. The most popular back then were Necco Candy Wafers, Slap Stix, and Mary Janes. None of these candies were bought or are still eaten in the 21st century. So the candies that are popular now are a lot different and were developed a lot later than the candy that was made in the 1800’s.
All of this candy coming into America was putting drinking bars out of business because people realized that alcohol was not the only thing that could make you happy or less stressed. They saw that candy made you happy as well. Candy also started increasing the sales of pharmacies. Oliver Chase the creator of Necco Chase and Co. worked at a pharmacy which is why candy started being sold in pharmacies in the beginning. Kids love candy, but hate shots and having to take pills or cough syrup. So with all of this candy scientists started making candy-flavored medicine like bubble gum cough syrup and gummy vitamins. I’m also sure that kids stopped complaining about going to the pharmacy because they knew they would get a treat after.

A very popular candy
Candy was made and thought up a lot differently than it is today. Candy in the 1800’s was much more honest than it is now. More of it was made by hand and by an individual and less of it was made with chemicals or fructose corn syrup. The candy was more about the taste, memory, passion of the maker, and the happiness it would give kids when they ate it. Nowadays all the candy makers want to do is make a candy that is addicting and one that makes them lots of money.
Oliver Chase












Sources Used:




46 comments:

  1. Dear Kiwi Berry:
    I really liked how much information you added about candy! I was wondering, when was the Necco candy invented?
    Sincerely, Jasper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jasper,
      The Necco candy wafer was invented in 1847

      Delete
    2. Dear Jasper,
      The Necco candy wafer was invented in 1847

      Delete
  2. Hi Kiwi Berry,
    I loved all the information you had about candy and how it has developed! Recently, I've heard Hershey's and other chocolate makers aren't even using cacoa or milk in chocolate anymore, just stuff like sugar, vegetable oils, and fructose syrup. I was wondering if you knew anything about this and what you think about it.
    -sophie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Baby Sophie <3,
      I do not know anything about this, but that is interesting thing to bring up. I intend to look that up. Although, if it is true that disappoints me and I will never eat Hershey's again!

      Delete
    2. Dear Baby Sophie <3,
      I do not know anything about this, but that is interesting thing to bring up. I intend to look that up. Although, if it is true that disappoints me and I will never eat Hershey's again!

      Delete
  3. Hi Kiwi Berry,
    I loved how much information you covered on most candy! Whats your favorite candy? mine is toxic waste:)
    -Pontea:))))))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Pontea,
      My fave are butterfingers!!!

      Delete
  4. Hi Kiwi Berry,
    Great facts about candy! I really liked your facts from around the world. If you were to take 2 candies out of the world what would they be?

    Noah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Noah,
      I would take out twizzlers and whoppers

      Delete
    2. Dear Noah,
      I would take out twizzlers and whoppers

      Delete
  5. Hi Kiwi Berry,
    I love that you said that candy can help you feel better because I eat it when I am feeling stressed out. If you could do a teach a class on this would you?

    Ethan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ethan,
      Lucy and I already did do a teach a class on it!

      Delete
    2. Dear Ethan,
      Lucy and I already did do a teach a class on it!

      Delete
  6. dear kiwi berry,
    the neco wafer is not out of production, the gas station in my neighborhood even sells them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. dear kiwi berry,
    the neco wafer is not out of production, the gas station in my neighborhood even sells them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear kiwi berry

    Your blog post is very interesting and something I would like to lean more about. I also think that candy now days is to "fake" and we should go back to the ways they used to make them. How did these companies come up with the names?

    -Advay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Advay,
      In the olden times people came up with the names by choosing either a womans name or their own name

      Delete
    2. Dear Advay,
      In the olden times people came up with the names by choosing either a womans name or their own name

      Delete
  9. Dear Kiwi Berry,

    I loved your blog. I thought it was really interesting! I like how you keep going back to the important point that back in the 1800's for example candy was made for the pleasure, nowadays most candy is made to be addicting, bringing in more money for the candymakers. What is your favorite candy that originated around the end of the 19th century that is still around today?

    Best Wishes,

    Mark M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Britt,
      My favorite candy is either hershey kisses or candy buttons

      Delete
  10. Dear Kiwi Berry,
    Very nice writing about candy. I didn't know that cavemen had candy and it was cool that when candy was first invented, it was very expensive which explains that only the richest could get it. What would be your dream candy Kiwi Berry?

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bryan,
      My dream candy would be a candy that never ends

      Delete
  11. Dear Kiwi Berry, I like candy as well. are there any types of candy made back then that are still eaten now? if so do you like them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sass all the way,
      I still like hershey kisses and candy buttons

      Delete
  12. Dear Kiwi Berry, I liked how you gave us all the time periods. I was wondering who invented candy?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Kiwi Berry,
    I really liked how you had a ton of information about candy making, and about specific candy's. If you could make a new candy what would it be? Why?
    Kai

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Kiwi Berry, I enjoyed learning about how chocolate evolved, it's interesting to think of how it went from being a little known South American drink to a multi Billion dollar industry! I was wondering if they imported the Coco fruit from South America, It's a tropical fruit which I doubt they could have grown in Europe.
    -Truman

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Kiwi Berry,
    I enjoyed learning how chocolate bars were invented form a chocolate drink originally only had by rich people, also i liked learning about how candy went from honey with fruits in it to necco wafers and slap stix. Why did candy go from happiness to profit?
    -maya (A.K.A The Lone Ranger)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Kiwi Berry,
    I liked how you told all of the information of candy and what kinds of candy's there are in different time periods.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Kiwi Berry,
    Nice post, I liked how you included to much information you included. What affects did candy have on the world? What do you think earth be like without candy?
    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Kiwi Berry. I loved reading about the change of natural candy like honey to the more modern candy we have today. What do you mean when you say "Candy in the 1800's was much more honest than it is now."?
    -Tanner

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Kiwi Berry I loved how you said candy has been around forever basically. Have you ever made hard candy before? It is very fun!

    Penguin

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Kiwi Berry I loved how you said candy has been around forever basically. Have you ever made hard candy before? It is very fun!

    Penguin

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Kiwi Berry,

    I loved your detailed history of how candy came to be. Why do you think candy was made to begin with? Along with music, do you feel that it an essential luxury?

    ~Aarushi

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Kiwi Berry,

    I love how detailed your blog post is. I like how you talk about the change between candy then and candy now. I was wondering, are there any candies that are around now that are from a long time ago that you like?

    -Jane

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Kiwi,
    I really like reading this post. I liked how you described each kind of candy in your post. What is your favorite typed of candy?

    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Kiwi,
    I love your post! I really want candy right now and its nice to know were it came from. How did you come up with this blog idea.
    -Samma

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Kiwi,
    I love your post! I really want candy right now and its nice to know were it came from. How did you come up with this blog idea.
    -Samma

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Kiwi Berry,
    I love your post. I like how you take us through a timeline of candy making. I also like how you list the candies that there were back then. I was wondering what is your favorite candy? I also was wondering how the chocolate drink was invented?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Kiwi Berry,

    I really like how you start the evolution of candy with honey, and then you go on. You said all candy makers want to make their candy addicting, do you think there are any who want to make candy because it's their life passion? Would you want to make candy as your job or just as a hobby? Why?

    Lauren Mei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lauren Mei,
      Candy making is to hard so neither!:)

      Delete
  28. Dear Kiwi Berry,

    I really liked how you incorporated facts and dates into your blog post without making it boring. Do you want to make candy when you are older?

    Good job, Ann Louise

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Ellie,

    I really enjoyed your post because you covered a lot of info on candy. I wanted to know what your favorite candy is?

    Sincerely,
    Ramya

    ReplyDelete
  30. To Kiwi Berry
    Who doesn't love candy! Thanks for sharing this fun and enjoyable read!
    I never knew that candy started off with honey! Woah!
    What's you favorite candy? And would you ever want to make candy when you grow up?
    Great article!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
  31. Kiwi Berry,

    I loved reading about the change of natural candy like honey to the more modern candy we have today. I mean, who doesn't like a good snickers bar? What is your favourite candy?

    Best,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete