The Anglo-Zulu War

In the year of 1879, the British empire invaded the Zulu kingdom. They fought against Boers and Zulus. The British wanted to annex the Zulu kingdom but the Zulu leader, Cetshwayo kaMpande, had other ideas. The British numbered about 16,000 the first time they invaded and 25,000 the second time.The Zulus had about 35,000 soldiers. One day, a man named Sir Henry Bartle Frere presented the Zulus with an ultimatum, which resulted in war.The Boers who were fighting the British were from various Boer Republics who wanted to keep their land. The First battle was the battle of Isandlwana, which the Zulus won. After the battles of Inyezane, Rorke’s Drift, Eshowe, Intombe, Hlobane, Kambula and Gingindlovu, the British were defeated. After the British were defeated, they came back with a fresh force of 25,000 and defeated the Zulus at the battle of Ulundi in the second British invasion. After this defeat, the British took over
South Africa
Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Zulu_War
Images: http://www.warlordgames.com/downloads/pdf/azwwallpapers/Married-Zulus-Wallpaper.jpg
http://media.moddb.com/images/downloads/1/50/49859/tumblr_mbnrwm6OAn1rtcfo5o1_500.jpg
Hi Baldrick,
ReplyDeleteI thought your blog piece on the Anglo-Zulu war was really alluring. I thought it was especially interesting how you didn't just talk about the British attempting to take over the Zulu's land but, added the story of the Boers too! Were the Zulus and Boers allied against the British, or were they both just trying to save their land?
Keep on the good blogging,
Mark M.
Sup Baldrick,
ReplyDeleteI thought your piece on the Anglo-Zulu war was very interesting. I found it very interesting that there were also another group that was fighting the British. I never knew that. I want to know why did the British want to take South Africa? Was their anything there that was worth taking.?
Nice Job,
Lambert
Hello Baldrick,
ReplyDeleteYour blog about the Anglo-Zulu war was very cool. I thought that it was awesome that the Zulu's were fighting to protect their land. I was wondering why the British wanted to fight so bad. Was it really worth it for them?
Keep up the great blogging!
-Will
Hi Baldrick!
ReplyDeleteI think that you did a great job on this blog post. I was interested that two groups of warriors put aside there differences to fight against foreign invaders. Its really an interesting topic, the European colonization of Africa. I was wondering how the British lost the first war, even though they had superior weapons and armor.
Keep up the good work,
James
Dear Baldrick
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your story about the Anglo-Zulus I was wondering why the British wanted to annex them even though they had so much land already. I was very interested because I did not no that the British attacked people in Africa when in world war two they had a bunch of people there.
Nice job
-Luca
Hi Baldrick,
ReplyDeleteI did not know about this battle. It is really cool how the Zulus kept there land and fought for it. I also wonder why did the british want this land?
-Advay k.
Hi Baldrick,
ReplyDeleteI had know idea that this battle existed, I find it awesome that you found something to write about that not many people know about. I was wondering how would you go about trying to get more people to know about this? I find this super interesting. Keep it Up!
Dear Baldrick,
ReplyDeleteI found this quite informative and interesting! I wonder what the British saw in this land?
-Truman
Dear Baldrick, I liked reading your post, it was very informative. What did the British like about the Zulu Kingdom that they wanted to fight over?
ReplyDelete-Maya
Hi Baldrick,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you didn't give any information in your post that people didn't need. What was it that made the British want the land so badly?
Lucy
Hi Baldrick,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you didn't give any information in your post that people didn't need. What was it that made the British want the land so badly?
Lucy
Hey Baldrick. I really liked that you talked about the struggles and battles the Zulu's faced, and I also really liked the vocabulary you used. I wonder what qualities the Zulu's land possessed that the British were so anxious about having it?
ReplyDeleteDear Baldrick,
ReplyDeleteI loved how you talked about the alliances and battles between the groups. What was the British main motive for taking Africa?
~Aarushi
Dear Badlick,
ReplyDeleteNice essay i love the pictures. The way they were drawn/ painted, really brings them to life. Why did the British want to Annex the Zulu, and what did the British have against them?
- Kenya
Hi Ibrahim,
ReplyDeleteI really like how you described the war, put the date, and how you added appropriate images for it. What I was wondering what the British did when they invaded? Did they kill everybody they saw, or did the Zulus and/or the Boers fight back?
Great work!
Chiara
Hi Baldrick,
ReplyDeleteI really like in your post how you were straight to the point and very factual. I was wondering, did the British try to invade any other countries near South Africa and fail?
-Jane
Hi Baldrick,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you wrote everything. You told the story well and had lots of good facts. One question though. Where did the two battles take place/
----Noah-----
Baldrick,
ReplyDeleteI find it interesting that the British wanted to control the Zulu's so badly. What did the Zulu's have that the British didn't?
Nice blog post,
Lauren Mei
Baldrick,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your blog. I thought it was very interesting how you explained all the people involved. I was wondering when did this war start and when did it end?
-Catie
Dear Baldrick,
ReplyDeleteI never heard of this battle and it was cool to learn about it. I like how you added numbers and facts about the war. Did the British have guns then?
Dear Baldrick,
ReplyDeleteI never heard of this battle and it was cool to learn about it. I like how you added numbers and facts about the war. Did the British have guns then?
Dear Baldrick,
ReplyDeleteI loved the beginning of your story where you talked about the fight and the battle. I wanted to know what country the Zulu's came from or if they were there own country?
Ellie
Dear Baldrick,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you talked about not just the war but also the results of the war. I was wondering if you think the colonialists were right to take over south Africa?
good job!
-Emma
Dear Baldrick,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this post. I like how detailed you were about the war. Did you think there should have been a war in the first place?
Elise
Dear Baldrick,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you had a ton of specific details about the war. Before 1879 were there any other attempts to take over the Zulu's kingdom?
Kai
Hi Baldrick,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed you post because there was a lot of details. I was wondering how you picked this idea?
Sincerely,
Ramya
Hi Baldrick,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your blog post, it was full of facts and details it was also very easy to follow. How did you find out about the Zulus?
Good job, Ann Louise
Dear Baldrick
ReplyDeleteI liked reading your blog with all the facts were filled into the story. I like how you gave us the numbers of soldiers that were fighting. How did you even hear about this topic.
From,
Michael
Dear Baldrick
ReplyDeleteI liked reading your blog with all the facts were filled into the story. I like how you gave us the numbers of soldiers that were fighting. How did you even hear about this topic.
From,
Michael
Baldrick,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this post, and I love how detailed you were about events in the war. It was both well written and easy to follow, a type of post extremely difficult to execute! How did you find out about the Zulus
Best,
-Fexi