Friday, February 6, 2015

Take your mark.......Go!


"Swimmers to the block", said the referee. I made my way onto the starting block with my adrenaline rushing and energy pumping through my body. I bent down in the diving position, awaiting the referee's command. "Take your mark......(and after what seems like eternity)BEEP!
  My legs push of the diving board and my arms move involuntarily forward, in a streamlined position. When my fingers touch the water, a jolt of energy rushes through me and I begin to move forward fast, my hands and legs moving in harmony. I break the surface of the water, and my whole body concentrates on moving ahead....fast. I turn just slightly now and then, to get an idea of where the other swimmers are. Finally, on the last lap, I put in all the energy I have left in me and focus on reaching the wall. All this in a couple of seconds, or minutes depending upon how many laps I have to swim. This is what makes swimming my favorite sport!
Swimming does not mean, jumping into the water and trying to get to the other side....No. It requires tremendous amount of discipline and hard work, not forgetting being passionate about it. I started learning swimming in India. It has always been something that I enjoy doing, even though I sometimes feel extremely exhausted during practice.

I swim five days a week in the mornings before I go to school. In the mornings, I have a half an hour of core workout on land, and an hour of workout in the pool. As soon as practice ends, I get ready and hurry to be on time for school. Apart from this, I have meets(swim competitions) to attend during the weekends. Doing this every morning, is not very easy, in fact, it requires a lot of determination.
My favorite stroke it butterfly! Most people say that it is the hardest stroke, but somehow, I find it fun and It gives me a flying sensation every time I rise above the water. It is the first stroke that I ever won a medal in when I was 7 years old! Somehow, my least favorite stroke is backstroke. I prefer to see the wall when I swim, thank you very much. I have no idea how people can even like it!

Swimming has always been one of the most important things in my life. I started learning when I was 4 years old and I continue to this day. My father is an excellent swimmer and he has never missed an opportunity to tell me how much there is to gain from doing it and how beneficial it is and will be. It is a sport that is not only competitive, but recreational too. It helps keep me fit, disciplined and, hard working. I love swimming and would never dream of stopping, for anything in the world!
The first time I won a gold medal in butterfly!
The time I represented my school at the South Indian regional swimming competition!

21 comments:

  1. Kavya,

    I love your blog post because you explain how swimming requires hard work and discipline and your experiences as a swimmer. I also like how you explained your favorite and least favorite strokes and how you described the commitment it takes to be a swimmer. I can relate because I also swim and going to meets and 7 AM and enduring long grueling practices are what swimmers do. Was it different swimming on a swim team in India than swimming on a swim team here? I love your pictures! Great job on your blog post!

    Defne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually really different. There, the focus is more on speed than endurance and technique. Also, a lot of strokes are taught very differently. Do you find any differences as you switch from team to team?

      Delete
  2. Dear Kavya (AKA Yakav02),
    I enjoyed reading your blog so much! I love how you used dialogue in the beginning and a lot of suspense! I can't believe how much you practice for swimming. That must take a lot of determination and tenacity! You are amazing, and congratulations on winning a gold metal in butterfly! I was wondering what your least favorite part about swimming is?

    sincerely,

    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You. My least favorite part about swimming would be either dealing with wet hair every morning, or backstroke. I detest it! Which is your favorite stroke?

      Delete
  3. Hey Kavya,
    I really love this post. I liked that you start with an actual even in your life. You work so hard for swimming. I was wondering that do you really like swimming? Do you do it for you? Do you sometimes want to give up?

    <3 Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually really do like swimming...well...except for backstroke...but still. I feel different in the water. Also, I do, do it for me. I know its benefits and it makes me feel good so I do it. Yes....I sometimes I do want to give up. When I get up in the morning and feel like getting back into bed, or when I have to do a lot of backstroke and the other people are getting ahead of me. Do you feel that way about piano sometimes?

      Kavya

      Delete
    2. Dear Kavya,
      I have felt that about piano so many times. It sometimes is so hard, but it can also bring happiness. Is swimming hard for you? When have you really really enjoyed swimming?

      Delete
    3. Unicornarwhal,
      To be honest, I really enjoy swimming when I see that my hard work has paid off. Like when I win a race. Swimming is hard for me. It being fun makes it a little less hard. When do you really feel good about playing the piano?

      Kavya

      Delete
    4. Dear Kavya,
      I feel good about piano when I finish a piece, or when I think I have done well on it. How many competitions have you won or participated in?

      -Elise:)

      Delete
  4. Dear Kavya,
    I am responding to your question. It is different for me in different swim teams because some coaches focus more on certain techniques than other techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Kavya,
    I really liter how you have so muck detection to your sport. i was wondering why you got into swimming.

    Helena

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Yakav02,

    It is cool that swimming is your hobby it is a important thing to know. How many years have you been swimming and are you a part of a club or team?

    -Advay K.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Kavya,
    Swimming is such a cool sport. I love how dedicated you are to your sport. I wanted to know what made you fall in love with swimming and want to start?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Kavya,
    I loved this post and I loved how you started the introduction with a moment, that really caught my attention. When I swam for Mac (2 years ago) I loved butterfly to! I wanted to know if you plan or would like to go to either the junior olympics or the olympics?
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kavya,

    I love how you explained why you love swimming, and what you feel when you are on the block. I also really like that you put backstroke as your least favorite stroke. I was wondering how the transition was from swimming in India to the US. Was it hard? You probably switched teams, right? Which team are you on now?

    Keep on swimming!
    Chiara

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kavya,

    I really like how you start at the beginning of a swim meet/race. It feels like I'm in the moment with you. How long have you been swimming? What made you wanna swim? How old were you when you won the butterfly?

    Lauren Mei

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Kavya,

    This post is very good and well written! I like it a lot! How long have you been swimming? Also, do you think you will continue swimming for a long time, and continue to be competitive?

    -Jane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kayva,
    This post is so good! I really like all the details about when your swimming in competitions. I was wondering how long you intend to keep swimming? Is it just a hobby or do you want to be like a olympic swimmer? Great job!!!
    -Catie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kayva,

    I really like your post because you talk about your passion. I was wondering if you will continue swimming?

    Sincerely,
    Ramya

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Kavya!
    I love your post, I think that it's so interesting how much you love swimming! I really enjoy it too, but I could never race. It must take a lot of hard work and dedication to have swimming as a hobby, it's so cool that you're sharing this with everyone! Do you have a favorite professional swimmer?
    xoxox,
    Chloe :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. To Kavya,
    Wow I am awed! I don't understand how someone can swim for an hour before school everyday! That is a lot of dedication and passion you put here! Additionally, I just love the story line in the beginning! That was a great eye catcher!
    Do you hope to be in the Olympics?
    Amazing post!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete