The first steam locomotive was Richard Trevithick's unnamed locomotive. it was ahead of its time though and never caught on. the stephenson's rocket, an engine made for the rainhill trials, set the format for all steam engines that followed it.The biggest change after that to steam locomotives was when 2 sets of driving wheels were added meaning that it had 2 pairs of Pistons and was basically two locomotives that shared a boiler and crew. A example of this is the 4-8-8-4 "big boy" it had 4 front wheels, a set of 8 driving wheels, a set of 8 driving wheels, then 4 rear wheels.

Dear snickers bar
ReplyDeleteYour blog post had so many facts. I learned so much and it was very interesting. When did the locomotive become a popular way of travel?
-Finn
Delete-Finn
DeleteDear Snickers Bar,
ReplyDeleteI like how your story is filled with many facts about your topic. Why was your the steam locomotive ahead of it time? Did people not trust it?
From,
Michael
Dear Snickers Bar,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your blog. I learned a lot about how the trains changed during the years. I was wondering are you a train enthusiast? Also did people trust the train when I first was introduced to the world?
From
LI -_-
Dear Li,
Deleteat first people where afraid of trains, because they where unsafe, but the Rocket changed the public view of steam locomotives.
-Danny
P.S
yes i am a train enthusiast.
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDear Snicker Bar,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your blog. I leaned a lot about the Locomotive, and how trains changed over time. When did they add the two extra pairs of wheels?
Quincy
Hi Snicker Bar,
ReplyDeleteYour blog taught me a lot about trains. How did he invent this machine and where did he make it? Also how many people traveled by train, and how much were the tickets to ride?
-Advay
Hi Snicker Bar, Your blog was very useful for learning about how Trains work, personally I really like the sound trains make and the way they move. What do you think the world would be like if we didn't have trains?
ReplyDeleteDear Snicker Bar,
ReplyDeleteI thought your blog was very interesting and it taught me a lot about trains and locomotives. How many people would travel on trains?
Penguin
Dear Snicker Bar,
ReplyDeleteI thought your blog was very interesting and it taught me a lot about trains and locomotives. How many people would travel on trains?
Penguin
Dear Snicker Bar,
ReplyDeleteI thought your blog was really interesting. I never knew before reading your blog how the first trains were started. Were these first locomotives for passengers? If not what were they primarily used for.
Thanks,
Britt
no they where used for cargo but quickly people realized the benefits of rail travel and it became popular
Delete-danny
Hey snickers bar, I thought your blog was very interesting and I learned a lot about trains. I like how you say how many wheels the BIG BOY has. I'm curious when the first locomotive was made? Very cool writing.
ReplyDeleteBryan
Dear Snickers Bar,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you gave us a lot of informtion even though it was short. I was wondering why you think it didn't have a name?
-Owen
i assume you mean Richard Trevithick's unnamed, nobody knows why.
Delete-danny
Dear Snickers Bar,
ReplyDeletethe brief summary packed so much information good job! I was a bit confused about why Richard Trevithick's train didn't catch on?
From Truman?
Dear Snickers Bar,
ReplyDeletethe brief summary packed so much information good job! I was a bit confused about why Richard Trevithick's train didn't catch on?
From Truman?
because it was far ahead of its time and the cast iron that they used for the rails wasn't strong enough and in broke under the weight of the locomotive.
DeleteDear Snickers Bar,
ReplyDeleteI thought your steam locomotive story was really interesting. What did steam locomotives mainly carry?
Kai
Dear Snickers Bar,Its interesting to learn that even though steam engines were really useful for trains they weren't really that popular when they were first invented. Why were they mostly used in locomotives
ReplyDelete-maya
they weren't used in steam locomotives very often, in fact the intial steam engines where water pumps
Delete-danny
Nice post snickers bar! I like how much information you included in your post. How do you think Richard Trevithick came up with the idea? Was the steam engine originally made for traveling or transporting people or something totally different?
ReplyDelete-Jimmy
Hey Snickers Bar. I liked how much information you were able to tell with two paragraphs. I wonder why the early train didn't catch on? Was the steam engine used for just trains? It would seem that the steam engine would be efficient for many things.
ReplyDeleteHi Snickers bar. I found your piece really interesting! Why do you think that even though it was ahead of it's time, the steam locomotive never caught on?
ReplyDelete-WolfWhisperer
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHey Snickers Bar, great post. I love how you put two pictures on so that we could see the difference, they added a nice touch to your writing.
ReplyDeleteGood job, Ann Louise
Dear Snickers Bar,
ReplyDeleteI loved how you gave a description of the trains. Also, I loved the pictures. Why did the first locomotive not catch on and the others did?
~Aarushi
dear Aarushi,
Deleteit was unreliable, the track was cast iron instead of steel so it broke under its weight, and it was a new idea and people where afraid.
-Danny
Dear Snickers,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this post. I really like how you described trains. What is your relationship with trains?
Elise
i am a member of the CGMRRC (catlin gable model rail road club) and i love trains
Delete-Danny
Dear Snickers Bar
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post! I didn't know much of the stuff you talked about. For instance I didn't know that the first steam locomotive was made by Richard Trevithick. I liked how you talked about how it was ahead of its time and it never caught on. I was wondering what kind of fuel you think modern trains should run on to make them more eco friendly?
good job!
-Emma
dear Emma,
Deletefrom an environmental stand point i think they should run on used grease*, like the oil they use in deep fryers in fast food places or veggie oil.
from a personal opinion, a steam locomotive that runs on grease and water (instead of coal)
-Danny
*look up greasecar
Dear Snickers Bar,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you put the different pictures to compare the trains then to the trains now.
-Asim
Dear snickers bar,
ReplyDeleteI like how you explain all the different types of steam locomotives. I was wondering if richard trevitiks unnamed locomotive ever caught on? Great Job!!!
-catie
no Trevitiks locomotive was a failure becuse it was far ahed of its time
DeleteDear Snickers bar,
ReplyDeleteI like how you explained all of the steam locomotives really detailed. It helped me get a visual of the things you were talking about. Have you ever seen these steam locomotives in person? Do you know what they look like
Lucy
Snickers bar,
ReplyDeleteI like how you detailed a steamed locomotive with words and gave us a photo. It gave me a really clear image in my head. Does anyone still use locomotives? When and where was the first locomotive created?
Lauren Mei
Snickers Bar,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you told us about the first locomotive and how it didn't really catch on. I was wondering what the transition from Stephenson's locomotive to modern locomotives was like?
Ibrahim A.
Hi Snickers Bar,
ReplyDeleteI really like your piece because you added good pictures. I was wondering how you decided to pick this idea?
Sincerely,
Ramya
I enjoyed your blog, I liked how you added pictures so we could tell. What made you want to write your blog on this, whats your view on the upside and downside
ReplyDeleteizzy
I enjoyed your blog, I liked how you added pictures so we could tell. What made you want to write your blog on this, whats your view on the upside and downside
ReplyDeleteizzy
Hi Snickers Bar,
ReplyDeleteI liked how much information you included about trains. I also liked the pictures you included. I was wondering, do you think they will invent electric trains?
Snickers bar,
ReplyDeleteYour blog post was brimming with facts! The visuals were the icing on the cake! When did the locomotive become a popular way of travel?
Best,
-Flexi