Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Practice, Practice, Practice


I have been playing the violin ever since I was three years old. After playing violin for a long time, it becomes almost a routine. I enjoy performing songs that I have worked very hard on, but there is one thing that I really hate about playing the violin: practicing! Every single day you have to practice, I usually practice my violin in the morning for about 45-60 minutes. Since I have been playing the violin since I was 3, I have practiced for around 2848 hours!

The Violin
I play the violin using something called the Suzuki Method. The Suzuki Method has 10 books of songs, starting with number 1, the easiest, and 10, the hardest. Currently I am playing a song called Mozart Violin Concerto #5 in Suzuki book 9. It is a cool song and I enjoy working on it. Every week I go to one group lesson on Tuesday afternoons and a private lesson on Friday afternoon.

I think that practicing the violin has helped me get better at discipline and helped me learn to
focus better. Recently in an assembly we learned about how playing a musical instrument is a form of  “exercise” for your brain. Studies have shown that playing a musical instrument makes people better at reading, math, and in other ways. Playing the violin even helps me in school!

Every time I perform I am nervous. Sometimes I play in front of hundreds of people, and I’m all alone on the stage. Bright lights shine into my eyes as I walk onstage. I put my violin on my shoulder and start playing. Usually the first few notes are a little shaky, but in no time at all I really get into it and I focus on playing with a great sound. By the end of the song I am almost always happy with how it sounded. It’s always a really great feeling to share something that you’ve been working hard on!

Music Studies: Click Here!

14 comments:

  1. The 3 magic words...practice, practice, practice. You certainly are an example of how important they are if you're trying to master a skill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear lw150,
    That's crazy how much you have practiced! What was the hardest song you have ever played? Which song do you enjoy playing the most?
    Great blog,
    Ava

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear lw150,
    That's crazy how much you have practiced! What was the hardest song you have ever played? Which song do you enjoy playing the most?
    Great blog,
    Ava

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear LW150,
    I love how you playing the violin has helped you become a learner. I was wondering if you see yourself playing professionally in the future or as a career? I really enjoyed reading your post and you seem like a very advanced violinist.
    -Khulan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi lw15,

    Nice post! I like how you say you have practiced 2848 hours, that is really amazing. What is your favorite part about violin?

    -Advay K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi lw15,

    I like all of your info about the suzuki method and how there are various books for different skill levels. What do you do to get your butterflies out before a performance?

    -Ethan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi lw15,
    I like all your information about the violin and how you have been playing since a very young age. You have practiced for 2848 hours! Wow! It sounds like to me you been very committed to playing the violin. Is there one specific thing that makes you really nervous or is it just nerves?

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi lw15,
    I really liked how you talked about the pros and cons of playing the violin. I used to play the violin when I was younger, and played in the Suzuki books. In your point of view, which book was the hardest for you out of the Suzuki books? I really like how you gave a lot of information to back up your thoughts and opinions!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  9. lw15,

    I totally understand how hard and annoying it is to practice. I have to practice 5 hours of piano per week, and sometimes more if I have a test or competition. Do you ever think about quitting violin? If you could play another instrument what would it be? Would you want to be a professional violin player?

    Lauren Mei

    ReplyDelete
  10. lw15,

    I like your post and how you talk about how annoying it is to practice all the time. Do you think you will continue playing violin?

    -Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your post! Practice makes perfect! Way to go! do you think you will play untill you die ?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Liam,

    I really liked your post because it was about your passion. I was wondering if your play another instrument?

    Sincerely,
    Ramya

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Liam,
    I liked reading your post because it showed me how much you care about violin. I was wondering if you also like watching people play violin not just playing it yourself?

    nice job!
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  14. To lw15,

    Wow I can completely relate! I have been playing since I was three to! I to have done Suzuki books 1-10! I have played in numerous orchestras, I was wondering if you have to?
    Great relatable post!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete