In the early 1800’s, before telephones ☎️ were invented, there was the telegram 📠. The telegraph was a machine that sent messages to other people over wires using electric currents. Morse code, a sequence of sounds 🔈 or lights 🔆 which correspond with letters in the alphabet 🔤, was a popular way to send telegrams. It was the beginning of using technology to communicate without spoken or written words. There wasn’t much personality in these messages I would guess. Just a bunch of dots and dashes 💱, used to send messages long distances. But the telegram was an important technology that helped people communicate in earlier days 👍, way before the Internet, cellphones 📱, and email 📩.
![]() |
| http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu/elang495/samples/lexical_topic.asp |
This past weekend I spent a lot of time in the car 🚘, driving around Oregon and Washington going to tournaments 🏀 and concerts 🎻. Usually when I’m in the car, I’m pretty productive. I bring along lots of homework and always have something to read for one class or another 📚. When I’m bored of that, I usually do what most pre-teen girls like myself do these days, I grab my phone and check out my text messages 💬, check social media sites, or just play an addictive app.
I have one post on my Instagram account. I usually don't post anything, but I added the picture after our vacation to the beach during the holidays 🎉. It was a perfect picture capturing the moment. It was a picture of me, with my back to the camera 📷, on a beautiful sandy beach in the middle of the Pacific Ocean 🌊. Because it had just rained earlier, I was standing under a majestic rainbow 🌈 floating over the ocean with a clear sunny sky in the background. Anyways, I posted the picture to my Instagram account, and slowly the 'Likes ❤️ from my ‘Followers’ 👥 started coming in. Some of my friends posted short comments, but I noticed after awhile that most of the comments weren't sentences or even words, but simply little pictures, or better known as emojis ☺️.
Some older people still use emoticons, like ;-) which means I’m winking at you. But why use three keystrokes, when you can send one of a million different emojis that express how you feel. Here are some of the emojis people used on my post: 😍, which means they are looking at something that is cute or pretty; 👍, which is a classic sign for yes or approval; 😘, which means someone is giving you a kiss because they like you; and ❤️, which just means I like this a lot. This was especially cool, because it meant that the people I knew liked my photo and thought it was nice as well.
![]() |
| http://bgr.com/2015/02/06/sms-vs-mms-emoji-costs/ |
When playing a musical instrument 🎵, each musician develops their own style, their own interpretation of a piece using intonation and emotion. If you listen over and over to a piece of music, you might be able to tell who was playing based on their style without looking 🙈. This was also similar for telegraph operators. Even though it was someone just pushing electrical dots and dashes into a small machine, they said you could sometimes tell who was writing the telegraph based on that person’s own unique manner of communicating, like did they type fast or slow, or use long-winded sentences or short simple ones. In the movie Imitation Game, Alan Turing is a genius mathematician ✖️➕➖➗ who was selected by the British to help solve and crack messages the Nazi’s were sending using a machine called Enigma. The Nazi code changed everyday. Turing created a machine that could crack the setting of Enigma. After months of trying without any luck, he figured out that some people always type with a certain pattern, or their own personality 🔓. This clue helped him to calibrate the machine in a way that could decode the words, solve Enigma and help win the war.
Today technology lets us use emojis as a form of nonverbal communication. Emojis allow people to express their feelings without the need for words or to strengthen their statements with an illustrative symbol 💪. It's modern day hieroglyphics, a new creative language. It's a universal language that anyone in the world can understand. How happy am I 😄? How happy am I now 😃? How awesomely happy am I now 😝?
Nonverbal communication is prevalent in everybody’s life. Your body language can reveal how you feel; your tone of voice can show enthusiasm or sarcasm 😜; your posture; your outfit 👗; the color of your lipstick 💄; your eye contact 👀. Some people would say that emojis can explain things even better than words could ever describe. While it was harder to show your personality through a telegram in the 1800's, emojis today make it easier than ever to show your true emotions. Maybe an emoji really is worth a thousand words 👌.
Sources:
Telegraphy. Wikipedia, n.d. Web.
"Morse Code." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 11 Feb. 2015.
Other Sites:
http://www.iemoji.com
http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/photos/most-creative-uses-emojis
Sources:
Telegraphy. Wikipedia, n.d. Web.
"Morse Code." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 11 Feb. 2015.
Other Sites:
http://www.iemoji.com
http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/photos/most-creative-uses-emojis


How well you capture the continuity between methods of communication. Parents think their kids are just zoning out with their phones or their iPads (and when Candy Crush is on the screen, they're correct). But in between the selfies and silly games, kids are pushing the envelope on new ways of communicating. Why say, "wow, that is seriously funny" when ROFL communicates the same thing? Why say, "well done, you!" when ���� works just as well? So, for your blog, ����
ReplyDeleteI love this post! It really explains how kids these days communicate and how parents can misinterpret texting for flappy bird. This is a very detailed post and I agree with a lot of the post. Do you know how morse code was invented?
ReplyDeleteHi Sophia!
ReplyDeleteI really love your post! I really like using emojis on Instagram and texting. Do you know who originally invented emojis?
-Annika 😜
Hi Annika,
DeleteAlthough there have always been hidden emojis in everyday life, the first emoji was invented in 1982 by Shigetaka Kurita in Japan. Interestingly, Apple also just released a new set of multicultural emojis.
Thanks,
Soph
Hi Soph,
ReplyDeleteThis is a really cool blog post. I like how you compared something kids our age can relate to and compare to the times back then. Do you think Morse code has its advantages over texting or emails?
-Advay K.
Hey Soph,
ReplyDeleteI loved how your entire post related to you as well as me! I also really liked how you used emojis in your post, it made it very interesting. Do you think that some people communicate more on text or social media with emojis verses words? And if so, does it have more of an impact?
-Greta
Soph,
ReplyDeleteThis post is very interesting. I like how you had facts entwined with your personal life. It kept me interested but at the same time I learned stuff about the history of technology. Have you watched the movie "Imitation Game" that you mentioned in your post?
DS55/Dylan
Hi Soph,
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice and informative blog. I think I couldn't have said all this better myself. It's very interesting on how we communicate with one another these days and this blog post reminded me on how much has changed! How did emojis get so popular?
Sara
Hi Soph,
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice and informative blog. I think I couldn't have said all this better myself. It's very interesting on how we communicate with one another these days and this blog post reminded me on how much has changed! How did emojis get so popular?
Sara
Dear Soph,
ReplyDeleteGreat job explaining how communication has complicated and evolved over the years. Amazing to think we've gone from a device meant to send beeps over electricity to the complex computers and phone we have today. What does � mean?
-Truman
Hey Soph,
ReplyDeleteI really like how you used emojis in your piece to really exaggerate your point. I also like how you tie in your instagram account to. I was wondering if you knew when emojis were invented? Great job!
-Catie
Dear Soph,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your post, and I like how you included emojis in it. Do you know who invented emojis? Also, do you think replacing words with emojis is a good thing?
-Jane :)
Dear Soph,
ReplyDeleteI really like how you start with the creation of the telephone and then finally to the emojis. When I was reading your blog post these things popped up: ����, what are they? How often do you use emojis?
Lauren Mei
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDear Soph,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you include pictures of emojis because it helped me visualize what you were talking about. I was wondering why ���� popped up did you mean them to do that? Are emojis a big part of your life?
nice job!
-Emma
Dear Soph,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this post. I like how you talked about the telegraph and added emojis and texting. It's really cool who emojis have evolved. I was wondering what is your favorite emoji?
Elise
Hi Sophia,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your piece because the title drew me in. I was wondering how this idea came to you?
Sincerely,
Ramya
Soph,
ReplyDeleteI liked your blog post a lot. I really loved how you talked about your Instagram! I was womdering what emoji you liked the best? I think I like this one 💅(nail painting emoji) I like it because it is very sassy :)
-phoebe
Unknown,
ReplyDeleteWow this was one the most interesting blog posts I have read! I love your style of using emojjis in your article! I never knew that "texting" back then was sending bunch of lights and sounds! Additionally, I love you connected this post to your real life!
Impeccable writing!
Do you have a favorite emoji? If you do what is it?
-Lion
Unknown,
ReplyDeleteWow, I love this article so much. Your use of emojis in a post about emojis... BRILLIANT! It was creative, engaging, and best of all, the least bit boring! I loved how you talked about instagram and how sometimes emojis can be abused. I also loved how you talked about morse code, and how it was the texting of back then! What is your favourite emoji?
Best,
-Flexi