Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Johannes Kepler

Johannes Kepler
Johannes Kepler was born on December 27, 1571. He was born in Weil Der Stadt, Wurtemberg in Germany. Johannes Kepler went to the University of Tubingen. There he learned the ideas of Copernicus. In 1596 when he was a mathematician at Graz, he wrote the first defence of the copernican system. Johannes Kepler was outcast from the Lutheran church
, because he refused to sign the Formula of Concord, and he was also outcast from the Catholics because he refused to convert his religion to Catholicism. He was forced to leave his teaching job at Graz because he was Lutheran, he then went to Prague to work with the danish astronomer, Tycho Brahe. When Brahe died in 1601, Kepler used his data to find that the orbit of mars is an ellipse. In 1609 Kepler published Astronomia Nova, which explains his discoveries which are now called Kepler's first two laws of planetary motion. In 1612 Lutherans were forced out of Prague, so Johannes Kepler moved to Linz. His wife and children had died, so he remarried but had lots of financial problems. Kepler had to go back to Wurttemberg to defend his mother of charges for witchcraft. In 1619 Johannes Kepler published his book Harmonices Mundi. In this book he talks about his third law. Kepler moved to many other places and wrote two more books. He wrote Epitome Astronomiae and  Rudolphine Tables. In the book Epitome Astronomiae , Kepler talks about heliocentric astronomy, and in the second book he wrote about how to calculate planetary position. Johannes Kepler died in Regensburg when collecting a debt.

Kepler's Three Laws
First Law: The path of the planets about the sun is elliptical in shape, with the center of the sun being located at one focus. (The Law of Ellipses)
Second Law: An imaginary line drawn from the center of the sun to the center of the planet will sweep out equal areas in equal intervals of time. (The Law of Equal Areas)
Third Law: The ratio of the squares of the periods of any two planets is equal to the ratio of the cubes of their average distances from the sun. (The Law of Harmonies)





14 comments:

  1. Dear Goldfish,
    I really liked how you gave a lot of information about Kepler so we could really get a feel for what he was like. Is he an inspiration to you in any way? I know that when I did my ally writing for english, the person I researched soon became an inspiration to me for all of his accomplishments.
    Sincerely,
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johannes kepler is not an inspiration for me, but I think that what he found and what he did was really interesting.

      Delete
  2. Dear Goldfish

    I really liked how you listed the kepler's laws because it should us how smart he was to make the laws in the first place. I was wondering if you know what kind of witchcraft charge his mother was on and what she did? Also Is he a inspiration because of his believes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi goldfish,

    This is really good to know about. I did not know Kepler went through this much in his life. What is witch craft?

    -Advay K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Goldfish,
    I like how you included Kepler's main discoveries over his life and included his laws. When he died what to the debt he was collecting?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Goldfish/Finn,
    I like how you describe Kepler's life and not only his scientific discoveries, but also his problems. I was wondering if/how the things he discovered are still being used today?

    From, Liam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Goldfish,

    I like your post and how you included stuff about Kepler's life and didn't just stick to the facts about what he invented. Is Kepler an inspiration for you?

    -Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Goldfish,

    I really like how you write something like a biography for Kepler in this one blog post. It's really interesting, because it's not just a bunch of facts put together on a piece of paper.
    What was the name of Kepler's wife and children? Did some people consider Kepler crazy? Why or why not?

    Lauren Mei

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Goldfish,
    I really like how you included an explanation of his three laws. I was wondering what Kepler's personal life was like? Did he have many friends? What about a wife or kids?

    nice job!
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Goldfish,
    I really enjoyed reading this post. I liked how you were so detailed on what he did. What is your experience with Johannes Kepler? Why did you choose this topic?

    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Goldfish,

    I really liked your post because we learned a little about this in Science. I was wondering what made you interested in this piece?

    Sincerely,
    Ramya

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goldfish,

    I love how you explained in great detail Kepler's life, talking about both his achievements and his mistakes. I love how you incorporate the phrase "nobody is perfect" when talking about the Kepler's law, and how it was an innovative step closer to figuring out how the world of science, yet also exposed some of the mistakes he made. Just because he wasn't "perfect" doesn't mean he was a bad guy! Did Kepler have any friends or family?

    Best,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete