Ironclads

The Manassas was the very first Ironclad It would tear through ships like they were made out of confetti. The Manassas could ram boats without being hurt and get shot by other boats without getting a dent. The Manassas was a confederate built ship and it was very successful because it did not sink on it’s first voyage as the Monitor did. After the confederates sunk the U.S.S Merrimac they turned it into a second ironclad called the C.S.S Virginia and that is when the Union had to make something big.
The Union had to hire a Swedish inventor named John Ericsson who produced 3 other Ironclads but the first one was the U.S.S Monitor .The U.S.S Monitor was the third armored boat in the civil war. The Monitor was made by the Union to destroy the blockades that stopped their boats from getting out to give supplies to their people in all the forts. The only thing was that in the middle of the night the Union had a abandon ship order because the ship was to heavy and sunk. Just recently the Monitor was found. It was found in 1973 and it had sunk in 1862. After the Monitor sunk there was another ironclad that sunk but it was a confederate ship again it was to heavy and sunk off the coast of Virginia.

Chef Lucadabuca,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading about Iron Clads. I found it interesting to learn about these sturdy boats - and I had no idea they existed before reading this.
I have a question:
When they found The Monitor, were they searching for it, or did they just stumble upon it?
Also, you said that Ironclads were really strong, but would they be considered a strong boat today.
Sincerely,
Dylan
Hi chef lucadabuca,
ReplyDeleteVery cool blog. I have never heard of ships like these. I did not also know that they had ships that ran into other ships as a weapon tool! How big were these ships?
-Advay K.
Dear Chef Lucadabuca,
ReplyDeleteVery interesting topic. I have heard of ironclads before but I didn't know a lot about them. It's cool that the iron then was so strong not getting a dent when shot at. How were the ironclads built? How long did it take to build one?
Hello lucadabuca
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your blog about the first ironclads. I thought the Europeans made the first ironclads. I also learned that the Union had to hire a Swedish inventor to build theirs. I was wondering how could the Monitor sink but not the Confederate ship? Was there a difference in weight, height, build?
Nice Blogging
-Li -_-
Hi cheif lucadabuca,
ReplyDeleteThis is a really interesting blogpost. I never that I would learn this much about ironclads. How much did it cost to make each ironclad? Could a normal rich person get their hands on an ironclad?
Lauren Mei
Hi Luca,
ReplyDeleteI like how you gave a brief description of an ironclad at the beginning, and then got into the history of an ironclad. I was wondering, why did the Union have to hire John Ericsson?
Great info!
Chiara
Luca,
ReplyDeleteI like how you wrote about a less generic part of the Civil War. I have on question though, are there any ironclads left today or are they all destroyed?
Ibrahim
Hi Luca,
ReplyDeleteI really like your post because you gave a brief description of the ironclad. I was wondering of a normal rich person could get their hands on an ironclad?
Sincerely,
Ramya
Hi Luca,
ReplyDeleteI really like your first sentence because it is really intriguing and makes me want to read more. I was wondering why you decided to write about this topic? Have you always been interested in ironclads?
nice job!
-Emma
Dear Luca,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this post. You are very descriptive in each paragraph. How did you choose this topic?
Elise
Chiefladabuca,
ReplyDeleteWow those are giant boats! Super interesting topic you introduced here! I love how you mentioned the whole history of this strong sturdy boat, and I just am so fascinated that a bullet doesn't even make a dent in the ship! Is this boat still strong to this day? And is it every used?
Great article!
-Lion