I started drumming because I wanted to play an instrument, and because drumming looked easy and very cool. When I had my first drumming lesson, I thought I could be able to play the music given to me the very first day, because it was a simple beat. However, I was mistaken. It took me the whole lesson to begin to grasp the piece, and I was humbled. After getting that first piece, I had moved on to much more complex things, but I will always remember my first drumming lesson, and the knowledge that no instrument is easy to play. If you decide to play an instrument, be aware of the long road to proficiency that you will walk. That said, as a drummer right now I am having a great time, and doing a good job.
Right now, I am just finishing up a piece of music by Led Zeppelin, called "Good Times Bad Times" I think that the name of the piece is a good metaphor for what the piece has been like for me. There have been good parts, like the first two lines, where I just get the beat immediately, but also very hard parts, mainly the third and fourth lines, where I have to use the bass drum in very quick secession. Just for this piece, I had to do a lot of practice with footwork on this piece. In each piece, there is one main thing I have to work on to conquer it.
After I became a drummer, about 3 or 3 1/2 years ago, I have discovered a few important things about my self as a learner. I discovered that I learn best when I hear/see someone do something, than try it myself a little bit each day for about a week. I also realized that I can relax by drumming, so I can be in a better mood.
My Goal as a drummer is simple. Keep playing, keep improving, and have fun!
-Focus on what your teacher has showed you: it has helped me a lot to hear and see the piece before I play it.
-If you start to get frustrated, take a break and come back later. I once stopped drumming for a whole summer because I was busy, and when I came back, the piece I had been having trouble with I could play perfectly.
- If a sequence of snare drum hits, try saying something while you play to help yourself concentrait. (3 hits=strawberry, 4 hits=watermelon)
-And, last but not least, have fun!!!
Your piece made it very clear that there is more to drumming than most people realize. We usually only see professional musicians but we rarely see the awkwardness of that first lesson. I loved the snare drum "trick."
ReplyDeleteHi Alex333,
ReplyDeleteIt is cool that you are a drummer. What is your favorite song which has drums in it mine is " I love rock and roll?"
Advay k.
Dear Advay...
DeleteI am glad you like "I love rock and roll". It is a very cool song. In terms of PLAYING on the drums, my fave song is probably "Stairway To Heaven" by Lead Zeppelin, but I enjoy Imagine Dragons music to listen to.
-Alex333
Hi Alex333,
ReplyDeleteI like how you describe that it looked easy but, when you start playing it is much harder. I wanted to know why you started drumming and how you stick with it?
-Ethan
Hi Ethan,
DeleteThanks for taking the time to read my blog. I am glad you liked it. To answer your question, I started drumming because I wanted to play an instrument, and drums looked like a good choice. I stick with it because I like to drum, and think it is fun.
-Alex333
Alex333,
ReplyDeleteYou really changed my perspective on the difficulty of playing the drums. I found your process of learning to play interesting. I was wondering, how long on average does it take to learn a song?
Thanks! I hope you continue to drum,
DS55/Dylan
DS55/Dylan,
DeleteThanks for taking the time to read my post. I am happy you enjoyed it It really differs in terms of how long it takes to learn a piece 100%. It usually takes 2-3 weeks, but some times as long as a month, or as short as a week and a half.
-Alex333
Dear Alex333,
ReplyDeleteI totally understand how hard playing the drums are, and some people sometimes just make playing the drums easy because it looks like your just hitting things. I actually tried playing drums one and it took me a million times just to get this one patter right. How long do you wanna play the drums?
Lauren Mei
Dear Alex333,
ReplyDeleteI think it's so cool that you talk about how hard drums are to play, I can see why because I can never get a rhythm when using to sticks. Do you plan on becoming a professional drummer?
Ellie
Hi James,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your post because you talked about your passion. I was wondering if you play another instrument?
Sincerely,
Ramya
Hi James,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you wrote what your goals for drumming are. I was wondering if you like to listen to music with drums in it?
nice job!
-Emma
To James,
ReplyDeleteAfter reading this, I definitely agree "Drumming is much harder than it looks" You have to keep track of rhythm, sound and count! I love how you say drumming relaxes you! That is so cool! Thanks for sharing this amazing piece!
Do you have a favorite song with drums in it?
-Lion