Wednesday, February 4, 2015

From my Hometown in Italy to the Vast America


To some people’s surprise, I wasn’t born in Portland. To say the truth, I wasn’t born anywhere in America. Both my siblings were, but I wasn’t. I moved here, when I was 40 days old. My hometown is Parma, Italy. None of my family lives there, they all live in other parts of northern Italy, so I rarely visit my true hometown.
Although, I do visit Italy, to see my family.
Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, I moved to Portland when I was 40 days old. I moved because of my dad’s job, because he wanted to move to Nike global headquarters. My parents talked about it, (this was before I was born) and eventually settled on an agreement to come to Portland, where there was a Nike campus. If Portland didn’t have a Nike office, I probably wouldn’t be here right now. So, me, my mom, my grandmother, and our one cat moved to Portland, traveling through the Portland International Airport. It’s strange, now that I think about it. 250 years ago, people would have taken many months to get to the other side of the world, where now it only takes around 17 hours by plane. Innovation keeps growing.


You’re probably realizing that, in was born in Italy, and both my parents are Italian, that must mean I’m bilingual. Well, yes, I am bilingual. As you can imagine, it’s hard. It’s like different parts of you belong to different parts of the world. You’re never a whole. I’ve never fully adjusted to the American customs, and neither to the ones in Italy. Some things just feel awkward to me, for example in Italy, it’s a ritual to pretend to kiss someone on both cheeks when you see them, without putting your lips to the other person’s face. It’s not like people always do it, but if you get invited to someone else’s house, it’s a custom that you do it. That’s something that feels weird to me. Another thing that I’ve sort of grown used to is the packaging. In Italy, everything is fresh and local. If you visit a place that is on the sea, there’s probably going to be freshly-caught seafood. Whereas in the US, basically everything is packaged, frozen, and shipped in boxes. So when you eat fish here, if you eat it at a restaurant, that fish that you eat would probably have died at least a week ago.
Another thing that I’m not used to is seeing the “Italian food” in commercials. Lots of times, you see commercials about food. Sometimes, it’s about chain food restaurants “claiming” it’s Italian food, when really, lot’s of times, it’s not. Garlic bread, for example, isn’t Italian. It’s an American version of Italian bread, because in Italy, before eating there’s always plain bread and grissini on the table so you can eat it with your food. Garlic bread is not the same as Italian food, and it doesn't feel the same.
There’s much more than to just customs, though. It’s also about being able to learn both of them at the same time, plus Chinese, which is the language I, in addition study at school. You’ve got to find the time to practice it, use it, and study it, which lots of times can be challenging. How I try to keep up my Italian is by practicing it at home, reading in Italian, and take classes once a week for an hour and a half. I want to be good at all of the languages I take at the same time, and at the same level. Lots of times, I feel between one language and another, not fully know the language and not at the same level. I don’t have one base language I can always refer back to, instead, I’m in between both of them. If you go back 250 years ago again, mostly everyone knew only one language, and only a few acted like translators in important meetings. I know it’s a good thing, we get to interact with more people, and learn new things. It can be hard, though, really hard, but it’s worth it.






16 comments:

  1. Keeping your bilingual skills sharp will always be an asset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear N.Matthews,

      That's true. I'm taking classes to keep my Italian flowing, so that will help.

      Chiara

      Delete
  2. I loved how you explained how you code switched from one personality for people from the US to another personality to Italians. Has there ever been a time where you accidentally "slipped" code switching? If so, what happened?
    From,
    Aarushi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aarushi,

      The answer to your question varies within people. Some people have an easier time code switching, others do not. Even if you are really good at it, you are bound to make mistakes. I sometimes process in Italian, so some words might come out in Italian in an English environment before I can stop myself. Usually I just excuse myself, and then switch languages to fit my surroundings.

      Chiara

      Delete
  3. Hi The Unexpected,

    Good job! I can relate because I also speak a different language at home and I also have to code switch a lot. Do you want to learn any other languages?

    -Advay K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Advay,

      Do I want to learn any other languages? Well, I already am. I'm learning Chinese, and am also in your class, for one thing. Should I learn more languages?

      Chiara

      Delete
  4. Hi Chiara!
    I really like how you talk about the differences you see between garlic bread not actually being from Italy. I had no idea that was true! I also speak two languages and I switch between the two. I also like how you describe the differences you see in your own life living in two countries. Would you want to go back and live in Italy after living in the US for many years?

    Nice Job!

    Defne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Defne,

      The answer to your question: Although I visit Italy very often, I still can't imagine living there. I'm so used to the US, that it would be very hard to live there. I would have to leave most of the people I ever knew behind. But if I was forced, I guess I'd maybe eventually adapt. Sometimes my family asks me if I'm going to live in Italy when I grow up, and I've told them, probably no. I have a question for you: What language do you speak at home?

      Awesome question!
      Chiara

      Delete
  5. Dear The Unexpected,

    I really love how you talk about not feeling as a whole, because sometimes I feel that way as well. Sometimes I feel like people expect me to be something or doing something that I wold never do, but they still tell me or expect me to do so. Do you ever feel annoyed when you feel like your not "whole?" Would you rather grow up in Italy or in the United States? Why/

    Lauren Mei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren Mei,

      YES!!! It is SO annoying not to feel whole. You always feel as if parts of you are strewn all over the globe. In an answer to your second question, you and Defne asked the same thing, so I copied this part from my above response: Although I visit Italy very often, I still can't imagine living there. I'm so used to the US, that it would be very hard to live there. I would have to leave most of the people I ever knew behind. But if I was forced, I guess I'd maybe eventually adapt. Sometimes my family asks me if I'm going to live in Italy when I grow up, and I've told them, probably no.
      Because I've been so used to this place! Yet, I still don't quite feel whole.

      Chiara

      Delete
  6. Dear Elizabeth,

    That's a fun story! Yeah, that is true, things like that can happen with multi-lingual people when they try to translate from one language to another. That happens to me sometimes. My brain sometimes processes things in Italian, and then I'd blurt something out in Italian, when I'm in a English-speaking environment. That sometimes can be funny, but just be aware of what is happening and give the person a moment to code-switch.

    Fun story!
    Chiara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chiara,

    I really like your post because it shows your history. I was wondering if you would want to learn a fourth language?

    Sincerely,
    Ramya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ramya,

      Answer to your question: three languages is already enough. Maybe once I have mastered all three, maybe I'll learn a fourth. I don't know when or where, but maybe.

      Great question!
      Chiara

      Delete
  8. Hi Chiara
    I really like how you talk about something so personal in your post, and I like how you use maps as your images. In your opinion do you think that after you are fluent in two languages it's easier to learn different languages?
    nice job!
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma,

      That's a very interesting question, and the answer just falls in the type of language it is. For example, Spanish and Italian are very similar in language but also in grammar. They both require way more grammar than vocabulary, and in this case it would be easier learning Spanish. Chinese, on the other hand, has a complex writing system and values vocabulary more than grammar. It has come to my attention that Italian also in some cases serves well in learning English, too. So, yeah, once you get the hang of learning languages they'll help you in learning others.
      Yet, it's hard because you can confuse words, and once you learn more languages it gets harder to code switch.

      Excellent question!
      Chiara

      Delete
  9. To Chiara,
    Wow I am impressed! It can be very difficult to move when you have grown accustomed to the rituals in your home country. I love you in cooperated this post into your life!
    Did you find it hard to learn English?

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete