| http://www.thelivingmoon.com/49electric_universe/04images/Electricity/electricity.jpg |
The earliest known knowledge of electricity, dates back to 2750 B.C. in Egypt. In ancient Egyptian text, we see reference to electric fish, like catfish, torpedo rays, and electric eels. A millennium later in ancient Greece, Rome, and Persia, reports of electrical fish were also found. In ancient Greece, they discovered that amber could me rubbed against pieces of cat fur to attract feathers, this is called static electricity. The Greeks also discovered naturally magnetic rock like magnetite. In ancient Persia we also started to see ancient batteries.
By the 17th century we new a lot more about electricity and its properties, but it wasn't until this time period that humans started to use electricity to their advantage. In 1600s and English scientist by the name of William Gilbert started conducting experiments on electricity and magnetism. Gilbert also discovered the Lodestone effect, this is basically natural magnetism. It was those experiments that sparked the fire of electrical experimentation. In the 1800s Benjamin Franklin conducted his kite experiment to prove that lightning and electricity were in fact the same thing. In 1791 Luigi Galvani discovered bio-electricity, and how electricity is used in the human body. In 1872 Micheal Faraday invented the electrical motor. In his invention he solved how to generate celerity in an ongoing and practical way. This invention also opened a window for Joseph Swan and Thomas Edison. Both of these inventors made their own version incandescent light bulb (Not the first light bulb, but the first to burn for an on going amount of time). Together they invented the first practical filament lamp, and using Thomas's direct current system, they light all of New York. But one of Thomas's associates Nikola Tesla didn't really see the benefits of the direct current system, so he invented Alternating current. For a long time scientist debated which system was better, this was called the war of the currents.
By the 1900 electricity had become an essential part of life, we couldn't (and still can't) function without it. So the next time you flip a switch, send a text, or turn on the TV, think about all the time, effort, and dedication that allowed you to do that.
http://www.wordle.net/create
"Why Nikola Tesla Was the Greatest Geek Who Ever Lived - The Oatmeal." Why Nikola Tesla Was the Greatest Geek Who Ever Lived - The Oatmeal. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Feb. 2015.
ReplyDelete"Nikola Tesla." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 11 Feb. 2015.
"Electricity." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 11 Feb. 2015.
"Who Discovered Electricity?" Universe Today. N.p., 03 Mar. 2014. Web. 11 Feb. 2015.
Dear Kenya I,
ReplyDeleteI really like how you tell the history behind electricity and how you tell it like a timeline, in chronological order. Do you know the setup of the alternating current invented by Nikola Tesla? How did you get this idea to write about electricity?
Dear Horsegirl26392,
DeleteIf you look up alternating currents and go to images, it has diagrams. As for why I picked electricity, its so necessary for life today but I never really knew how it came to be.
Hey Kenya!
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you touched on electricity being a big part of modern civilization. I was wondering how the electric fish were able to convert other energy into electric? Also how did they survive if they are electric in water?
Dear nenom_score,
DeleteI'm not really sure how to answer your questions, but i will look into that and get back to you.
Hi Kenya,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you showed how electricity grew and how it has changed since then. Is our world using lightning strikes as a away to get a large amount of electricity?
-Advay K
Dear Advay,
DeleteNot anymore.
Dear, Kenya,
ReplyDeleteI like the timeline of electricity you gave saying when it started and how it progressed. I also like that you included inventions that were patented during the industrial revolution that ran on electricity. How big a part do you think electricity has made to our everyday lives.
From,
Michael
Dear Michael,
DeleteGreat question! Electricity has really become a natural part of our lives, even if you aren't using it directly, there is most likely someway to tie electricity into what ever you are doing. Think of the last time your house went out of electricity, all of a sudden you feel paralyzed, or disabled. So really, its almost become a necessity.
Dear Kenya,
ReplyDeleteI like how you said "no one invented electricity, we just learned to harness it's powers." One thing I was wondering though, did the ancient Greeks, Persians, and Egyptians do anything with electricity?
From, Ibrahim A
Dear Baldrick,
Deletethere have been records of old batteries in ancient Greece, Persia, and Egypt, but we don't really know how they were used exactly, other than that we know nothing.
Dear Kenya,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you did that wordle. I was wondering how you came up with all the words in it.
Quincy
Dear ballislife,
DeleteI put my essay into the wordle.
Dear Kenya,
ReplyDeletegreat post packed to the brim with information! I liked that you bothered to include a wordle.
Did any of these ancient civilizations attempt to try and use electricity?
-Truman
DeleteDear Shrimp Jesus,
DeleteYes, there have been records of ancient batteries in Greece, Persia, and Egypt.
Hi Kenya,
ReplyDeleteI really like how you explain the early noticing of electricity in fish, and how you connect electricity to our modern life. I was wondering why you value electricity so much? Do you think anyone in our class would be able to survive electricity? Would you survive without electricity?
Great writing!
Chiara
Hi Kenya,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your blog post and there were a lot of facts. I like how you had a wordle in it. Do you think you would be able to survive without electricity?
-Jane
Dear Jane:)
DeleteI think I would be able to survive, but it would be a major struggle.
Dear Kenya,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you talked about electricity since the beginning and how we started to get to know this natural force. Do you know if there was a specific person who discovered electricity?
Lauren Mei
Dear LM,
DeleteI don't think so, but i think that there wouldn't have been records of it anyways.
Dear Kenya,
ReplyDeleteI love your post about electricity! It was very neat and I loved the length. I also really enjoyed the wordle that you included at the end. I was wondering what made you choose this topic!
Great post!
-Will
Dear Kenya,
ReplyDeleteI really liked the wordle at the end because it made me realize the most important things in your post. I was wondering if you have always been interested in electricity?
nice post!
-Emma
Dear Kenya,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this post. I like how descriptive you were about electricity. How did you choose this topic?
Elise
Hi Kenya,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post because you involved a Wordle. I was wondering how you chose this topic?
Sincerely,
Ramya
HI Kenya,
ReplyDeleteI love your blog piece on electricity. I love the detail you put into and think it is especially interesting how you gave the whole history of electricity and the talked about the benefits in our lives today, and how grateful we should be. What invention that came out of the wide use of electricity do you think is most important?
Keep up the good blogging,
Britt
Kenya,
ReplyDeleteWow, just by scanning it through, I just love the worldly! How creative!!
This is such a complex article! I really appreciate how in depth you went! How does alternating current work? Why would we need it if we can use direct current?
-Lion