Monday, February 2, 2015

CC Or Caitriona?

Sometimes being one of the only people in the class who has an extremely hard to pronounce first name can get boring after a couple months. Try seven years of constant misspellings, mispronunciations, strange nicknames, and overall confusion about your first name. My name is Caitriona (ka-3-in-ah) Grainne Mulholland Cobb. When I was little, I went to a summer camp, and there was this really nice counselor. I don't really remember her name, so let's just call her Katie. Anyhow, Katie must have asked me, this tiny, slightly awkward, introverted five year old kid, about 15 times for my name. Back then, CC didn't exist so I would have to go by my first name. So for a week or two, I was called many different names, some close to my name, some so far off, I didn't even respond to them because I didn't know they were directed towards me. So, as you can tell, I have very bad name problems. When I grow up, and if I ever have a kid, that kid would be named something really normal, and easy to pronounce. Like Anna or Jake, or Kelly or something. I love my name, don't get me wrong, but I much prefer to be called CC, it takes out any possibility for confusion.

23 comments:

  1. I love the name Caitriona and have a friend with the same name but spelled, Catriona. However, I think choosing to be called CC is a great alternative. You may decide to bring "Caitriona" back later in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      Its super cool that you have a friend named Catriona. Even the different spellings of my name are still very rare. I probably will have CC for a long time, but I am considering being called Catherine later in life. Only because its a bit more mature.

      -CC

      Delete
  2. Hi cc.cobb,

    I can relate because people always mis pronounce my name and I have got so used to it most of the time I say yes when they ask if they pronounced it right. When you grow up do you want to change your name permanently?

    -Advay K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi cc.cobb,

    I like how you express your feelings about people mispronouncing your first name. One of your perks is they never get you confused with any other kid. I have been called various names and none of them are mine. When did people first start calling you cc?

    -Ethan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi cc.cobb,
    though i have never had any of these problems I still like how your post can be relatable to the other people who have hard to pronounce names. Have you ever thought about changing your name?
    -maya (A.K.A The Lone Ranger)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi CC,
    I really like how you talked about the camp counselor. I thought that was funny and kind of helped backup your feelings about your name being mispronounced (by talking about a real thing that happened). My question is, what is the weirdest name anybody has ever called you?
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy,

      Thanks so much for your comment! I think that the weirdest name anybody has called me, is when anybody mispronounces my nickname. It seems I cannot get away from my problems!

      Delete
  6. Hi cc.cobb,

    I know EXACTLY how you feel! Only there is only really one way to spell my name wrong (and that's Madeline) so I get stuck with a whole honking pile of annoying nicknames, including Mad, Mayduline, and Mad-the-Loon (the last one being from maya). What is your best strategy not to get mad at those nicknamers and mispronouncers?

    -Madeleine (not Madeline)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mad-the-Loon,

      The only advice I can give you is to just understand that they have a hard time pronouncing it, and let it go, because there is nothing you can really do about it.

      -CC

      Delete
  7. Hi cc,

    I can also relate to how you feel. People mispronounce my last name all the time! I think that your solution of coming up with a nickname is good. I was wondering if you ever thought of completely changing your name and if so, what would you change it to?

    From, Liam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey CC!
    I love your blog post because you explain your own experience with having a hard name to say. It really shows how much names really matter and I like how you say that you didn't know who to respond to because they would say your name wrong. Good description. My name is like that. My name is spelled weird but pronounced Daphne. Did people actually used to call you CC or did you create it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi CC,

    I enjoyed your post, and it shows how your name can really effect you. I was wondering if people called you CC before you made it your nickname.

    -Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane,

      Thats basically how my nickname started. I used to be called Cat, but it wasn't a good fit, partially because it kinda sounds stupid. Anyhow, my friends came up with CC, and I guess it stuck!

      -CC

      Delete
  10. Hi Caitriona,

    I love your post, how it describes the feeling of your name, and the correct saying of it. I also loved the summer camp part you added! I was wondering why you didn't come up with a nickname earlier, or did this name problem not bother you when you were younger?

    Great writing!
    Chiara

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoy this piece !!! Im so glad I now know what you feel about your name a little. I have always wanted to know what you thought of everyone calling your diffrent names! When was the 1st time you were called CC?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Caitriona,

    I really enjoyed you post because I can relate with this through my last name. I was wondering how many nick names you have?

    Sincerely,
    Ramya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramya,

      Over the years I have had countless nicknames. With some of my friends, I am called different things than with other friends, and it just depends on who I'm hanging out with

      -CC

      Delete
  13. Hey Caitriona!
    I feel so bad that you have this problem! I haven't really had experience with my first name being messed up, but my last name is butchered all the time. Which one of your nicknames is your favorite? Do you have a preference?
    xxx-
    Chloe :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Caitriona,
    I really like that you chose this topic because since first grade I have watched the teachers miss say your name. I was wondering ifyou would still go by CC if everyone pronounced Caitriona right?

    nice job!
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma,

      I probably would still go by CC, because its shorter, easier to handle, and has less of a weight to it. I also like CC because its much perkier than Caitriona.

      -CC

      Delete
  15. Hi Caitriona,
    I really like how you mention the positives and negatives about your name. I like how you include a story from when somebody did not pronounce your name right. I was wondering when your older will you still have people call you CC or would you want to be called Caitriona?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi cc.cob
    I can completely relate! My first whole name was Aravinda Nayan Murthy! But nobody could even pronounce Arvinda, so they changed my first name Nayan! Though still they are some mispronunciations, but it's usually fine! Thanks so much for sharing this! I love how you explained this as a story, and showed how much you cared for your name!
    Will you ever bring Caitriona back?

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete