Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Candy!

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? This is yet another mystery of candy, you see, candy is a very mysterious thing. Candy started off as a small homemade treat, but during the industrial revolution, this small unpopular delicacy, became a common treat, everywhere! 

During the industrial revolution, Candy making had a role in feminism, hence making candy was a masculine job. In candy factories men could make the candy and operate the machinery, while women could only help package things and dip candies in chocolate. The best paid women in the candy business made less then the worst paid men. Even though many candies were named after women, the companies were rarely owned or operated by women.
Candy was not super common, because it can be a bit difficult to make. During the industrial revolution people became more aware of candy,  now that machines had made it  easier and cheaper to make. Instead of having to pull taffy for hours on end, machines did it in a short period of time! Machines also helped the packaging process of candy.  As soon as machinery made it easy for candy to be created, it became very popular! Eventually candy was something everyone knew about and everyone liked!


more about candy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy

21 comments:

  1. Hi Phibitha,
    I really enjoyed your post, and your writing style. I never knew that candy was related to feminism or that candy came about in the industrial revolution. I was wondering what type of machinery was used to make candy?

    sincerely

    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Phibitha,
    I really enjoyed how you specifically spoke about the industrial Revolution and no other time period, this helped to really focus on the details and examples you had in your writing. I also liked how you focused on the role feminism had on candy compared to men. I was wondering other than the candy Mary Jane, what were some other candies named after women?
    Sincerely,
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellie,
      Off of the top of my head I know that another candy named after a girl is baby Ruth's, named after ruth Cleveland, the daughter of a former president. Since Ruth only lived to 12 and she wasn't very famous many believe that baby Ruth's where named after the famous baseball player Babe Ruth.
      I don't know any other candies named after women, but I can defiantly look into it!

      Sincerely,
      Phibitha :)

      Delete
  3. Dear Phibitha,
    I think it is very interesting that women were paid so much less than men. What was one of the most popular candies back then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Khulan,
      I'm not sure what the most popular candies where back then, I'm sure they aren't still made whatever they where. What do you think would be the most popular candy would've been :)?
      -phoebe

      Delete
  4. Hi Phibitha,

    I really enjoyed how you explained the inequality of genders through candy! You made me think about candy in a whole new way. Do you think there is still sexism in candy factories and the world today?

    Thanks,
    Soph

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Phibitha,

    Your blog post is really interesting good job! How many licks does it take to get to the center of the tootsie pop?

    -Advay K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Advay,
      Though I have tried to count many times, I have never figured out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop, usually I get bored and give up :( Do you have any ideas on how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

      - Phibitha

      Delete
  6. Bonjour Phibitha,
    I liked your post it was great! I would also like to point out that based on a scientific expirement done by the engineering students from Purdue University it takes about 364 licks to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.
    -Maya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Phibitha,
    I really liked your post and how you talked about how the highest paid women got the same money as the lowest paid man. What were some popular candies in the time period you are talking about? Did candy sales effect sales of other things that could give you that same rush and good feeling? Like achohol?
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Phoebe.

    I love how you started off with your blog post with "how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?" When I was little and heard about it, it kept me thinking. I was thinking about conducting an experiment to figure it out (by licking the tootsie pop and then marking down the number of times I did it.) But of course, I was too lazy.
    I also love how you joined the two parts together, the industrial revolution and candy, and that you explained how women didn't work much in the factories. I was wondering what the first types of candies were, that were made in factories? Also, which candies were named after women?

    Great work!
    Chiara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Phibitha,
    I really like how you take us (your readers) through a timeline of candy making. You said that candy making played a role in feminism. Were there any woman activists who had a back round in candy making? Great Job!
    -Catie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Phibitha,

    I really enjoyed you post and how you talk about how candy making had a role in feminism, i found that connection interesting. Who was the first woman to ever own a candy factory?

    -Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Phoebe. I really liked the connection you made about feminism and candy. I was wondering what candy was like when it was homemade? Was there a specific societal class that homemade candy was more common to?
    -Tanner

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Phoebe,

    I really enjoyed reading your piece because I made me think about how they made candy back then. I was wondering if you were one of those women in the industrial revolution, what would you feel knowing you were being paid not a lot?

    Sincerely,
    Ramya

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Phibitha,

    I really like how you start off your blog post with a sentence that almost everybody knows. I really like how you talk about how men and women were treated differently during the industrial revolution. Would you want to own your own candy shop? What would you name it? What is your favorite candy?

    Lauren Mei

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Phibithia,
    I really enjoyed reading this post. I like how you took a topic that many people like and relate it to the industrial revolution. What is you favorite candy?

    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  15. Phibitha-
    I thought it was really interesting that candy making was a masculine job, I totally didn't know that! I also liked your opening about the tootsie pop ;) . I love making homemade candy, but it definitely is hard work. Remember the time we made poppin' cookin? ;) that was so fun. What's your favorite kind of candy?
    xoxoxox-
    Chloe :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Phibitha,
    I liked how you put how making candy was in the industrial revolution. I was wondering why is making candy a masculine job.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Phibitha,
    I really enjoyed reading this blog. I loved your style of writing! Your hook was great and had me sucked in the whole time! What candy do you like best and why?

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pibitha,

    Who doesn't love candy! I find it very disturbing how the society is not equal to men. "The best women paid get less than the worst men paid" How unfair! Do you have a favorite type of candy?
    Thanks for the fun read!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete