Monday, February 16, 2015

ADHD is a Pain in the Brain



The human brain. The most complex organ in the body, consisting of many billions of neurons, each sending and receiving tiny messages via a complex web of neural pathways. These little signals travel throughout the entire body, constantly dictating the movement of every organ and muscle. Our brains also control our constant intake and output of knowledge.


I’ve known I have ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) since 5th grade. Even now, I still struggle with it. It eats up all of my free time. It causes simple homework assignments to take ten times longer than they’re supposed to. It makes me constantly feel like I’m on a sugar high, causing me to be spazzy and always craving sweets. Once, last year (before I’d told anyone yet), it almost cost me my best friend.
ADHD can sometimes make me doubt what I can do. I either work like crazy on a project until it is beyond anyone and everyone’s idea of perfect, or shut myself off from it until the last minute, and end up hating what I’ve turned in (and myself) for at least a week afterwards. Open-ended assignments where you can “feel free to take it where you wish” almost always foretell doom. ADHD is the one of the only things in my life that kills my self esteem; it makes me actually care what others think about me, and it makes me want to work hard to fake being “normal”.
Although having ADHD is hard, there are a few good things about it. It makes me incredibly focused (given that I focus on one thing at a time), gives me extreme precision, and seems to give me a sort of flair that I find my friends love. Over the period of time I’ve known I had ADHD, I’ve found that many of my classmates have similar things troubling them. Having ADHD may limit me in some places, but in the long run, I think it will give me an edge.

38 comments:

  1. Dear TygerLili723,

    I like how you wrote some facts about the brain before starting your main point in your post. I commend you about talking about your ADHD, and going way into your personal life, problems and victories caused by ADHD. Maddy, your friends all love you, even if you have ADHD. :)
    Do you know what causes ADHD?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear TygerLili723,

    I like how you wrote about the brain and how it functions in the beginning of your post. I also liked that you described how ADHD affects people and you personally in your life. How do people become ADHD? Are the simply born with it? Thanks for your thoughtful post,
    Kean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear TygerLili723,

    I like how you wrote about the brain and how it functions in the beginning of your post. I also liked that you described how ADHD affects people and you personally in your life. How do people become ADHD? Are the simply born with it? Thanks for your thoughtful post,
    Kean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear TygerLili723,
    I liked your post on the human brain. I really think that you put a lot of thought into this post. It has a ton of great information that is very interesting. What causes ADHD
    -Finn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear TygerLili723,

    Honestly, I already got hooked by the title. The title is so true. I really like how you talk about ADHD from experience, and not like a person who has no idea how it feels to have ADHD. A few question I have are, if you could some how get rid of ADHD would you give it up? If you wouldn't, why?
    -Lauren Mei

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Tygerlili723,
    I thought it was very brave how you talked about having ADHD and how you are self conscious about it. Until now, I have not had a very good understanding on what ADHD is. Is there a medication that helps ADHD? Does it help you at all? Do they have any obnoxious side affects?
    Sincerely, Graham

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Madeleine,
    I thought your blog post was very thoughtful, and how it expressed how you felt about ADHD. I also really like how you gave a brief but summarizing intro on the human brain at the beginning. I was wondering, what part of the brain does ADHD trigger? Also, what helps you deal with ADHD? Does listening to music help when you study? Keep up the amazing work, Maddy!
    Chiara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello All,
    Thank you for reading my blog, and I appreciate your comments. Unfortunately, ADHD is just something you are born with, and is considered as basically a brain disorder. There is no way to fully cure it, however, there are medications to help it. I take a medication called Vyvanse when I really need to focus, but it can cut my appetite.
    To answer your question, Lauren Mei, I wouldn't give ADHD up if I could. I probably would have in fifth or sixth grade, but now it is really part of what makes up who I am -- I wouldn't be the same without it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear TygerLili723,
    The title is amazing and it immediately pulled me in. I think it's great that you talk about ADHD from experience. I was wondering if you can get ADHD after you are born?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Tygerlili723,
    Right when I started reading this I was so interested it sounded like an intro to a book a college person wrote! The fact that you brought your personal life in as well made me really feel and think about what you were saying. Although I was wondering: Are specific subjects easier for people with ADHD than other subjects?
    Sincerely,
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Tygerlili723,
    Right when I started reading this I was so interested it sounded like an intro to a book a college person wrote! The fact that you brought your personal life in as well made me really feel and think about what you were saying. Although I was wondering: Are specific subjects easier for people with ADHD than other subjects?
    Sincerely,
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi Tygerlili723,
    i have ADHD and i find it to make school incredibly difficult, yet you say it gives you and edge in some classes which classes are they? also why do you think that is?
    -Danny

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Tygerlili723,

    The definition of the brain in the beginning is a good eye catcher. The photo is also really interesting. Did you know Michael Phelps had ADHD to? What do you find really easy that someone without ADHD would find hard?

    -Advay K.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear TygerLili723,
    I really found it interesting that you explained how ADHD felt, and how you talked about how it gives you an advantage in other classes. I was wondering, what classes does ADHD give you an advantage in? How does it give you an advantage?
    -Jasper

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey TygerLili723,
    I never knew that much about ADHD and it was really interesting to learn. I was just wondering if you know any other kids in our class with ADHD? Also were you happy when you ment other kids who know how you feel?

    -Samma

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear TygerLili723,

    This is a great blog. I think its great that although you let people know what a burden ADHD is but that you look at the positives and talk about that too. I imagine that is hard to do so I think it's great. Due to ADHD what type of projects are hardest for you?

    Thanks,

    Britt

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear tygerlili723,
    Very nice reading. It was very intriguing. It was very cool how you explained how ADHD felt. Im curious what causes ADHD?

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello all,

    Thank you all for reading my blog. ADHD is actually considered a brain defect, and it always happens when the brain is still developing. Open-ended projects are definitely the hardest for me, because I have a hard time getting started on them. I am extremely happy to have other people who know how I feel. ADHD might make me unfocused on some assignments, but if I find something I love, I get hyper-focused on that; therefore, subjects that I like more, I tend to do better in.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello all,

    Thank you all for reading my blog. ADHD is actually considered a brain defect, and it always happens when the brain is still developing. Open-ended projects are definitely the hardest for me, because I have a hard time getting started on them. I am extremely happy to have other people who know how I feel. ADHD might make me unfocused on some assignments, but if I find something I love, I get hyper-focused on that; therefore, subjects that I like more, I tend to do better in.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear The Loon,
    I liked how your post expressed how you felt about ADHD. I also liked your intro on the human brain at the beginning. What helps you "fight" ADHD?
    -maya

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear tygerlili723,
    You really helped paint a picture about what it's like to have ADHD. How and when did you realize you had ADHD?
    -Truman

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear tygerlili723,
    You really helped paint a picture about what it's like to have ADHD. How and when did you realize you had ADHD?
    -Truman

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Tygerlili723! Great post, you put so much detail and experience relating to your ADHD. I also think your first paragraph was a great lead to talking about this subject. Do you know if you have any eating disorders because of ADHD? Why do you think this lifelong disease will give you an edge in the long run?
    -Tanner

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Tygerlili723,
    I found your blog piece very interesting and very well done. I think you have really found a way to take something that is considered a brain defect and put your own positive spin on it. I admire you for not letting your ADHD bring you down. I was wondering are there any particular subjects that are easier or harder for people with ADHD? Great Job!
    -Catie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear Tygerlili723,

    I really enjoyed this blog piece and I think it was very well written and very thoughtful. I like how you connected it to your personal life, and that you have a positive point of view to ADHD. Do you know what causes ADHD?

    Great Writing!
    -Jane

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Tygerlili723,
    I really liked reading this blog post, and with all the detail I could really feel your struggle. You ended this piece saying you think ADHD will give you an edge. Why will it give you an edge?
    Kai

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dear TygerLili723,
    I really liked your blog post! I think that it is cool how you can share your own experiences with ADHD and compare it to others. I was wondering what ADHD stands for? And if you have ADHD, will you have it your whole life!
    Keep it up!
    -Will

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear TygerLili723,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I liked how you compared the pros and cons of ADHD and how it has affected your life. Do you develop ADHD overtime, or are you born with it?
    Sincerely,
    Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dear TygerLili723,
    I have ADHD too, and I know what it feels like. I like how you said that it eats up your free time, but I was wondering what you meant by that?
    Thanks,
    Eamon

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dear TygerLili723,
    I have ADHD too, and I know what it feels like. I like how you said that it eats up your free time, but I was wondering what you meant by that?
    Thanks,
    Eamon

    ReplyDelete
  33. Dear TygerLili723,
    I really liked your picture because it really made me want to read your piece. I was wondering if you started have ADHD in 5th grade or if you have had it your whole life you just realized you had ADHD in 5th grade?
    nice job!
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  34. Dear TygerLili,
    I really enjoyed reading this post. This post was really interesting for me because I didn't really understand ADHD now I do! Does ADHD ever affect you in sports or physical activities?

    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Maddy,

    I really enjoyed your post because it was something that most people didn't know about you. I was wondering how ADHD affects other things?

    Sincerely,
    Ramya

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Maddy,

    What a great blogpost! I could tell you put a lot of time and effort into writing this! Job well done! I really like how you connected this topic to your own life. Does ADHD affect you in other things?

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  37. To imperialpainting,

    Aww I feel so bad for you! You must have a very hard time concentrating and focusing on school! I love how you connected this blog post to your real life! How do you deal with it? Do you get less homework than other people?
    Really unique and intriguing article!
    I really applicate that you told your life story!


    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
  38. imperialpainting,

    Darn, that sucks! I hope you get better! My grandfather has a similar brain disorder called Alzheimer's disease, so I know how difficult it can be! Do you have a hard time concentrating in school?

    Best,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete