Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Grievances of a Part-Time Cellist


  1. The weight of the cello. It’s not that bad if you have a soft case (in which case it’s the unwieldiness that gets you), but if you have a hard (read: bulletproof) case, it’s serious weightlifting.
  2. Stairs (or any type of obstruction). Read above.
  3. Having to play the accompaniment all the time in orchestra
  4. Music in orchestra. For example, the violins get all the fast fun stuff while we get to do the boring drones, or god forbid, 35 measure rests. I guess it's just in the fine print.
  5. Forgetting your bow
  6. Having your endpin slip
  7. Having your endpin loosen. It happened to me in 2nd grade, in the middle of a school performance. I’m playing, and my cello starts to sink… Let’s not relive that.
  8. Cold weather. It screws up the tuning and the strings lose their tension and the tuning pegs slip a ton. It sucks.
  9. Most people think it is a guitar (hint: it isn’t!)
Well, I guess it could be worse. Case in point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plpqb4jqHkU
There’s one thing that a cello has above a violin (which would do away with 7 of the above annoyances):
It sounds better!

9 comments:

  1. I'm afraid you nailed all of it. Including that it sounds wonderful! Just remember, Yo-Yo Ma doesn't play a violin.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear FluffyMcKitten,

    I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I liked how you talking about the effects of the weather because I didn't realize that was an effect. I was wondering what an endpin was, because you mentioned it a couple times. but I'm not sure what that is?

    Sincerely,
    WildStallion42

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear FluffyMcKitten,
    I liked the bits of humor you embedded in your piece. One question I have is; What is the most annoying out of all of these? Also, do you wish you played a different instrument?
    Sincerely,
    Purplesealsonpluto

    ReplyDelete
  4. FluffyMcKitten-
    I liked how it was funny but also very factual and interesting to read. My question is; when did you start playing the cello?
    -Slim Celery

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear FluffyMcKitten,
    I really liked that you included humor in your post, and listed all that stuff that sucks about cello, but you can tell you do it for a reason. When did you start playing cello?
    Nice post,
    CHICKENUGGET

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear FluffyMcKitten,
    Great blog post! I can relate to some things above, as I am, in fact, a violist. Have you ever wanted to switch instruments?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear FluffyMcKitten,
    I liked your post because unlike other post you give a real life example plus proof and that is a bit extra but extra is not a bad thing. I think it is cool that you want people to know the truth. What is the worst part of this whole experience?
    Sincerely,
    LoveAndGelato

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear FluffyMcKitten,

    I can totally relate to your grievances. Can you imagine if you were a full-time cellist and not part-time? Even though the cello doesn’t always get the melody or plays in the background, every time I hear its beautiful deep rich tones, I am reminded how much I prefer playing a cello rather than any other instrument, especially a violin! Here’s another way to look at it - just be happy you don’t play and have to carry around a double-bass to every rehearsal or concert.

    From,
    minionsrule!12

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey All,

    Let me just answer some questions that came up in the comments:
    I started to play in first grade. I originally wanted to play violin (it was the only string instrument I had heard of at the time), but there weren't any lesson spaces available, so I played cello instead.
    An endpin is the thing on the bottom of a cello that holds the cello up so you don't have to hold it up with your legs.
    The worst part for me is probably when I close my case and forget to put my bow inside, so I have to open the case again (it's a hard case with latches) and put it in.
    I wanted to play the violin when I was young, but I don't anymore (probably has something to do with having to be across from the violin section in symphony)
    -FluffyMcKitten

    ReplyDelete