Monday, February 19, 2018

The days in the life of a little sister

“You’re xxxxx and xxxxxx little sister right?” Or “you’re xxxxx daughter right.” To all those who have said one of these things to me or anyone else, listen and listen good. My name is xxxxx, and I’m just your average old 7th grader, I’m not my brothers. I’m me. I like taking pictures, hanging out with my family and friends, listening to music, and sometimes even school. The one thing I like most of all is being my own person.

For basically my entire life except the ages 0-3, I’ve been living in the shadows of my all mighty brothers. You see, my brothers are known as the ones who write good speeches, are good at public speaking, and amazing at every sport they play. I, on the other hand, is known as xxxxx and xxxxxx kid sister. I’m the notorious annoying little sister of the family. I’m the one everyone knows is there but doesn’t really acknowledge as someone that's worth their time and energy to at least learn the name of. Honestly, every once in a while I feel like a space filler that’s just there to make the Christmas cards look good. Not that we even have Christmas cards.
Right now all I know for sure is that I’m at an age where I’m still trying to figure out who I want to be. I definitely know that I don’t want to be xxxxx and xxxxxx kid sister. My goal is to be xxxx the artistic, funny, kind, confident 7th grader. Unfortunately in the process of doing that I lost myself and became my worst nightmare. The annoying little sister, the shadow. Every day I ask myself ‘how did I let this happen?’ And ‘why can’t I be more like them?’ Somehow it’s taken me nine years to realize that it’s because I’m not them, and no offense to them but I don’t want to be. Don’t get me wrong they have been the best role models a girl could ask for. They have basically mentored me through each year of school and each hard math test. So yes, I love them with all my heart but no, I don’t want to be them. I want people to think of me as a good person like people think of them.

I want to be known as xxxx the girl who takes amazing pictures, and xxxx the girl that's a lover and a fighter, or xxxx the great student and leader, and finally just xxxx plain and simple. Going back to what I said in the beginning if you are one of those people and you are reading this thank you for listening. I know I’m not the only one who feels overpowered by someone's amazing reputation, and I can’t speak for them because this is just my story. So please the next time you meet someone take the time to learn about them or at least their name because we are all more than just a sibling, dad, mom, cousin, uncle, or aunt. We are more than just a face we have feelings too, try to get to know us maybe you'll like who you meet. It might sound like having older sibling sucks but here are some good things. 25 good things about having an older brother

17 comments:

  1. You can be known as the girl who takes amazing pictures, is a lover and a fighter, is a great student and leader, AND your brothers' sister.

    Signed,
    Paul Monheimer's sister (and super happy about it)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! This was one of the best posts I've read in weeks ... and I read lots of them.
    I'm a baby-brother - to a brother and a sister who are both awesome, but I guess than since I'm already 67 I've been recognized for who I am for quite a while already. (Though to tell the truth, when birthdays and other significant events come around and I send them mail, I still identify myself to them as their baby-brother.)
    And with your attitude, I wouldn't be surprised if in the not too distant future they'll want to identify themselves as being related to you.
    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear thecowfellover,
    Wow!That was really good. I loved how you referred to yourself as a shadow. I think it sounded very meaningful. I understand that being a shadow can be hard because I have a older sister myself. Has this problem improved or worsened over the years?
    Thanks,
    Han Cloclo2.0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Han Clocio2.0,
      When I was younger I didn't notice it as much. I always thought that people didn't notice me as much as they did my brothers because I was the youngest. So yes, over the years it has worsened but I think the problem was always there and I am just noticing it now.

      Thanks,
      thecowfellover

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear thecowfellover,
    I really loved how deep your blog was. I feel the same way with my sister. I always feel compared to her or in her shadow. My sister is very good at academic stuff. Have you always been compared to them even when you were young or did it start when they got a little bit older?

    From
    Isabella Johnson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Isabella Johnson,
      When I was younger I wasn't compared to them as much as I am now. I mostly think that was because everyone knew that I was just a kid and I wasn't even thinking about who I was as a person and who I wanted to be. Whereas now I'm in the process of figuring out who I am and how I want people to see me. As I get older others have definitely compared me to my brothers more. I think that's because I'm maturing so now I can actually kinda start making some of my own decisions.

      From,
      thecowfellover

      Delete
  6. Dear thecowfellover,
    I could not relate more to this post because am a little sister of a really popular guy and people need to call me by my name and get to know me, don't just call me xxxxx little sister! How often do you get called that?
    Sincerely,
    LoveAndGelato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear LoveAndGelato,
      I usually get called that by everyone unless they are my close friends.
      From, thecowfellover

      Delete
  7. Dear thecowfellover,
    I can relate to being the younger sister of the amazing student, and hearing all the time from teachers, "Your xxxxx's little sister, right?" Not that I'm complaining because I always feel proud of my brother, and having the honor of being his sister. One question I have for you is; Are you proud of your brothers for being so acknowledged by teachers?
    Sincerely,
    Purplesealsonpluto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Purplesealsonpluto,
      I am extremely proud of my brothers and what they have accomplished.
      From, thecowfellover

      Delete
  8. Dear thecowfellover,
    I really like your blog because I can relate to it. i am also a younger sister and I find that i am often times compared to my older sister. People think that just because i am my sisters sister I have to be just like her. But thats not true and I'm not like her so it can get really annoying because I am not the same as her. What's your favorite thing about being a younger sister?
    Sincerely,
    Silly one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Silly one,
      My favorite thing about being a younger sister is probably always having people to talk to. Or always knowing that they will always protect me and have my back no matter what.
      From, thecowfellover

      Delete
  9. Dear thecowfellover,
    I thought your blog post was really interesting and engaging. It was cool to read it because I happen to be an older sister, and sometimes I wonder how it is to be a younger sibling and some of the challenges they face. But are there things you love about being a younger sister that you think your brothers miss out on?
    Thanks,
    Soccer4life4415

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Soccer4life4415,
      Well my brothers both got their first phone in 7th or 8th grade and I got mine in the summer of 4th. So probably just getting thing a lot earlier than them. My brothers always get really mad about that.
      From, thecowfellover

      Delete
  10. thecowfellover-
    I really liked how specific and detailed your blog post is, and I can relate to it too. I have an older sister and people compare me to her a lot. When did you start being compared to your brothers? Thanks!
    -Slim Celery

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear celery.slim,
    I started being compared to my brothers around when I started middle school. I think it was mostly because that when I matured and thats when more stuff becomes more important.
    From, thecowfellover

    ReplyDelete