Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Endless Space

Outer space a huge and amazing place. Even though every individual feels that they are very important and our community seems large, the size of our Earth is miniscule compared to our entire universe. It is amazing that during one point in time, people believed that the Earth was the center of the universe and that everything revolved around us. The technology used for the exploration of space has evolved greatly over time. The first telescope, invented by Isaac Newton, consisted of a mirror and and eyepiece. He discovered that lenses could form images, and designed a that gathered light using mirrors. This telescope was a reflector. There are 2 different kinds of telescopes, a reflector and a refractor. Reflecting telescopes collect light with a large curved mirror and reflect the image to any part of the telescope using other mirrors. Refractors collect light using a lens that makes the image appear upside down on a photographic plate. Telescopes have allowed us to make amazing discoveries about the universe.

The Magellanic Clouds can be seen from the southern hemisphere of the Earth. I would love to go and see them one day. Even though their name states that they are clouds, they are not. The are actually galaxies. The Tarantula Nebula is in the Magellanic Clouds and cositis of 100 stars! When I am and adult, I would love to be an astronaut and explore the universe. I hope that I will get to land on the the Moon, or Mars! It is amazing how much we still have to learn about our world and I hope to be a part of the discoveries.

Sources/More Information:
Couper, Heather; Henbest, Nigel. Encyclopedia of Space. Dorling Kindersley Limited, 2009. 

6 comments:

  1. dear square cat like like how you chose to right about a subject that is very important but not in the catagorie that most people have been righty about and its cool that you showed us how are whole being is realitivle speaking quite small compared to the atmosphere keep blogging about things that are important to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Square Cat,
    I liked how you talked about the differences between reflectors and refractors. One question I have for you is; Since by the time you are older, do you think that you will be able to travel to even more plants with the evolved technology?
    Sincerely,
    Purplesealsonpluto

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Square Cat,
    I really liked how in your post you talked about how some people think they are so important and that they are the most important thing in the world but they are really just a small little spec on the world that you can't even see from a mile away.
    Do you want to go to space?
    Sincerely,
    LoveAndGelato

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Square Cat,
    I really liked reading your blog post, because I am also interested in Outer Space and the universe(s) outside our tiny planet. I like how you talked about telescopes, then made the connection to Magellanic Clouds. What telescope would you most like to visit (and look through) and why?
    Thanks,
    Soccer4life4415

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Square Cat! I love your topic and what you wrote about! Quite an interesting topic, I always wondered what people thought about outer space when they thought the Earth was the center of the universe. I can't imagine what it was like for that all to be unrealistic, and for them to learn it wasn't real. Do you hope to travel into space someday? -chopsocckitty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Square Cat-
    I like how detailed your writing is, it makes it very interesting to read. It's weird to think about how people used to think everything revolved around us, but it really didn't. Is there any specific planet that you want to visit?
    -Slim Celery

    ReplyDelete