How well do we really know each other?
You know those people that you see everyday at school or work, maybe you talk to them sometimes or say hi in the hallway, you might have known them for a few years now but do you really know them? Oh you do ok, what’s their birthday? What made them laugh the most? Where are they from? Were you surprised by how little you knew? No ok, well are you really sure about your answers or were you just guessing?
Earlier this year my peers and I had to do an activity in class where we each wrote down three things about ourselves that most people didn’t know and then had to read at least one of them aloud to the group. It was pretty easy for me to think of what to say because I was new to the school and I had only known these people for about 2 weeks, but as people started to read their answers out I was surprised by how amazed their classmates were, these were people who had known each other for a good few years now and yet they were still surprised by the things one another were telling them. To tell you the truth I was also surprised by what people said. That day I learned so many interesting things about my classmates and it got me thinking, I wonder what would happen if we took the time to really get to know the people in our lives?
Everyday we make tons of assumptions about people without even realizing it, we look at someone and infer things about their lives, job, where they are from and never bother to check if what what we believe is true. We see people and make stereotypes about them giving them labels such as rich, smart, stupid, popular, troublesome, dangerous, rude. We somehow think that people always fit into one category or trope and that everyone like them is the same but imagine if we actually spoke to one another and took the time to listen to the stories people have to tell. I think that even if we knew just a little bit more about the people in our lives we would have a greater appreciation of them.
Especially now with social media we are fed lies about people and think that by scrolling through their instagram we can know everything about them. Think about it, you’ve just seen a picture of someone, they are in a beautiful, place with their friends, laughing having fun, looking amazing, but this is just one edited aspect of their life. They chose this picture to let the world see an image where they looked the best and in the nicest location and lighting, it could have taken them forever to get the perfect angle and background. Social media is a window through which we are permitted to view others “lives,” but only the most beautiful parts glossed over with smiles and fake laughter. We can’t know a person just by seeing what they want others to see. Knowing someone is about being there for them not just in the picture worthy moments but when they need a friend, someone who’ll listen to what they have to say, support them and help them realize that they don’t always have to be perfect, because life isn’t perfect.
Hi freddy,
ReplyDeleteI like the topic that you wrote about. I totally agree that what we see on social media are the parts glossed over with smiles and laughs. This is a big problem these days and I love that you decided to write about this and go deeper into it. Do you think there is anything in specific that we can do to make sure we really know people?
Keep up the good blogging, thecowfellover
Dear freddy,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you talked about how social media only shows people at their peek.
I have seen what social media does to people and am glad that someone has took the time to blog about it. On question I have is; Do you have social media? If so, would you be better without it?
Sincerely,
Purplesealsonpluto
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDear Freddy,
ReplyDeleteI think your post is really interesting because I have known some kids in our class my whole life and have never taken the time to really get to know half of them. I could have so much in common with someone and never had a clue. have you ever had an experience where you thought you knew someone but you didn't?
Sincerely,
LoveAndGelato
Dear Freddy,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your point of view on this post, it shows that your can get something really nicely and share it with other people easily. I loved how you explained that very true aspect of social media ad I think everyone should take that into account when hey are on social media. I was wondering if you have social media, and if you ever felt this way about it when your on it?
Nice post,
CHICKENUGGET
Dear Freddy,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post because it made me realize that I do think about people without really knowing who they are inside and it made me want to know my classmates better.
Monkeys dancing in a chocolate cake
Dear freddy,
ReplyDeleteI thought your blog post was really thought-provoking because it made me pause and really think "Do I really know XXXX that well?" So I have a question: What do you think is the best way to get to know people better?
Thanks,
Soccer4life4415
Freddy, I thought this blog was very interesting. I like how you talked about how people don't actually know each other very well. I also liked how you talked about the role that social media plays in our lives. What do you think is they best way to get to know each other?
ReplyDelete-Pemma
Hello Freddy,
ReplyDeleteThe topic of the blog post was really interesting. The I agree with all of the topics in the post, especially with the social media bit. In your opinion, what is the most important reason to get to know other people?
-Corgith
Dear Freddy,
ReplyDeleteI really like the topic you chose because it got me to really think. How many people in our class do I actually know? This blog really help your brain to rethink things. why did you chose to write about this topic?
From,
Isabella Johnson
Hello Freddy,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you about how in some cases we don't talk to each other. But for me n in my family social media allows me and my family to talk with each other. How in different ways are social media good for you?
- socks