Why I Choose To Do Sports

Sports are a significant part of America's culture and I choose for them to also be a part of my life. I have always wondered how some people decide not to play sports, because for me, it is an outlet where I can let go of what I'm feeling and do what I love. After I am done playing, I always feel incredibly good and accomplished. I play three sports and I love them all equally: tennis, cross country, and track.
When I say sports are an outlet for me, I mean that I can put my emotions into what I'm doing and, not only does it make play better, but it also helps me manage my feelings. For example, in tennis, if I am angry for whatever reason, I can keep that thought in my mind and it will make me swing harder. I take my emotions and kind of convert them into energy. Studies show that exercising can help decrease mild depression, anxiety, stress, and can even help relieve trauma. After I am done with my lesson, I feel less worked up about the situation and it becomes easier to resolve.
Another reason I do sports is because I feel better about myself and my body when I consistently commit to doing it. If I am on vacation and I choose not to run, during the day I will feel lazier and not want to do many things. According to Heart.org: "Without regular physical activity, the body slowly loses its strength, stamina and ability to function well." I think this is because of the lack of moving around and getting out of that stage where you don't want to get out of your home.

After I'm finished doing a sport it makes me more focused at my next activity and also makes it easier to get enough sleep. Sometimes when I am doing homework or learning in class I feel really energetic and I don't know what to do with the energy. That makes it hard to process the information I am getting. This is one of the reasons we have PE, lunch, and break. The Spark PE website declares that having PE can lead to "enhanced concentration and attention as well as improved classroom behavior." So we can get out all of our energy and become able to learn. I can also get more sleep from playing sports because I am drained of energy so I can fall asleep right away.
I asked my mom if she played sports when she was younger and she said no. She said that not exercising made her feel disconnected from her body and less strong. "After I discovered exercising, I had more energy, I felt confident and strong." This is why I choose to do sports and I would encourage others to do the same. Playing sports and exercising helps you interpret your emotions, feel better about yourself and and your body, focus in school and home work, get more sleep, and just to be a happier healthier person in general.
"Run often, run long, but never out run your joy of running." - Julia Isphording
Sources:
- https://www.helpguide.org/articles/exercise-fitness/emotional-benefits-of-exercise.htm
- http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/PhysicalActivity/StartWalking/Physical-activity-improves-quality-of-life_UCM_307977_Article.jsp#.WI5hhDtlmi4
- http://www.sparkpe.org/blog/how-physical-activity-affects-academic-performance/
I totally relate to this! There is no better way to relax after a hard day at school than sports practice!
ReplyDeleteIt's often hard for me to tell if exercise/sport is more of a luxury or a need. Thanks for giving me your take!
ReplyDeleteDear Tennis MS CGS,
ReplyDeleteI like your post because you really talked about how sports affect your life and how it helps you relax. How many sports have you played?
-KB Blogger
Hi KBB!
DeleteNice comment! I have played probably around six or seven sports in my life and even thought they were all pretty fun, I decided to only do three of them.
-Tennis MS CGS
Tennis MS CGS,
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautifully written post! I love how you expressed how sports and exercise make a positive impact on your life, and how this post sends an extremely positive message for us couch potatoes! I believe exercise helps us feel better about ourselves both physically and emotionally, and I am very pleased to hear it makes you feel good too! I have a deep passion for cross country, track and field, ariel, and contortion, how do you get your exercise?
Play on,
-Flexi
Hey Flexi!
DeleteThanks for your comment! I get my exercise by doing cross country and track and field like you, and I also play tennis.
-Tennis MS CGS
Hi Tennis MS CGS,
ReplyDeleteI loved how you used pictures in your post that really related to the writing. Is it possible to play to many sports?
sincerely,
isa
Hi Isa!!!!
DeleteGood question! I would say that you can do too much of basically everything it will hurt you. With sports, I think that if you aren't eating enough and playing to many sports then it wouldn't affect your body positively.
- Tennis MS CGS
Tennis MS CGS,
ReplyDeleteI really like this post because I could really relate to it. Many of the reasons you gave for why you do sports also apply to me. I think that doing sports is a great way to help you focus and express your feelings. I personally love sports. I love to do wushu, swim, ski, and many other sports. Exercising and doing sports makes me really happy. What sports do you do?
-Ava
Hi Ava!
DeleteIts great that you relate to my post! I do cross country and track and field and tennis.
Nice comment,
- tennis MS CGS
Hello Tennis MS CGS,
ReplyDeleteI loved this post and how you talked about how exercising can help with anxiety and depression. Do you plan on playing many other sports?
-ILoveBasketball
Hey ILoveBasketball!
DeleteThanks for your comment! I don't currently plan on doing any more sports but if I heard or tried playing another sport I and really liked it, I might start.\
- Tennis MS CGS
Tennis MS CGS,
ReplyDeleteI liked this post because it talked about sports and gave your personal opinion on this topic. What do think about lacrosse and how it is becoming more and more popular?
-SR
Tennis MS CGS,
ReplyDeleteThis was a really cool post! I like how you talked a lot about what different sports mean to you. I also love playing sports so I was able to relate a lot to this. What do you think your favorite part about playing sports is?
~Dogdoo42
Hello Tennis MS CGS,
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I can totally relate! After climbing practice, I feel that I can focus better. How do you have time for all three sports?
-NWS
Hi Tennis MS CGS,
ReplyDeleteThis is a very nice post and i always get that energy during class and dont know what to do with it. Do you ever think schools will start letting kids have breaks during class so we learn better after that.
Bobby The Unicorn
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteTennis MS CGS,
ReplyDeleteSuper interesting post! I love that you talked about sports because I am an athlete too and I could really relate to a lot of the things you said. For example, when you said you could pour your emotions into sports. Which of the three sports that you do is your favorite?
Great job!
-Blog Person