Friday, February 17, 2017

Propagandists

Propagandists

Montesquieu was one of the most important political thinkers during the Enlightenment in France. His thoughts on government helped shape the system that we use today, “ The Separation of Powers”. His idea separated the Legislative branch, the Judicial branch, and the Executive branch, so no branch could become too powerful. This balanced system would stop absolute rule, and possible tyranny.  President Trump is testing “The Separation of powers” with his travel ban against Muslims, because he disagrees with the Judicial branch, when it states the ban is unconstitutional.  Montesquieu and Donald Trump did not only differ on their acceptance on the “Separation of Powers”, but they also differ on tolerance, reading books, and deliberation.


Montesquieu 1.pngMontesquieu is the exact opposite when it comes to tolerance. He tolerated all religions and people, where Trump wants to ban Muslims from America. It is ironic that Montesquieu’s first book is called Persian Letters and Persians, modern day Iranians, are the people that Donald Trump fears the most. Persian Letters is about two young Persians that travel through France and comment on political events. On one level, it is a story of travelers, but, on another level, it was written so Montesquieu could criticize the French government and say what was not fair.


However, Donald Trump may not have read the book, because according to the Washington Post Article, “He said in a series of interviews that he does not need to read extensively because he reaches the right decisions ‘with very little knowledge other than the knowledge I [already] had, plus the words ‘common sense,’ because I have a lot of common sense and I have a lot of business ability.’”  Montesquieu is the exact opposite on reading too. He was widely read in law, government, science, and even math.

Donald Trump in 2006: ‘I Sort of Hope’ the Housing Market CrashesDonald Trump and Montesquieu are different in speaking their minds. President Trump quickly tweets a response, where Montesquieu may spend years contemplating one topic before mentioning it to anybody. In fact Montesquieu spent 20 years to write Spirit of Laws.

Our president, Donald Trump thinks very differently and has very different opinions from Montesquieu, one of the most influential political thinkers during the Enlightenment. Looking back to the 18th century, the Philosophes used propaganda to influence and affect the discontented middle classes and lower classes by writing pamphlets. By writing the pamphlets, the Philosophes were trying to say, use reason; You have a right and a voice! Today, Donald trump is tweeting propaganda to the same middle and lower classes. But, he has a different message. He claims we need to ban Muslims from the US, because it isn’t safe! We need to make America great again! But, perhaps our focus might be on the wrong place.

If we begin to focus on reason, and toleration, instead of fear and separation, hopefully our world can shift from overcast,and tense to enlightened again.

9 comments:

  1. One of the reasons Trump appeals to so many American's is precisely because he doesn't take 20 years to write a manifesto outlining his thoughts. Many Americans are desperate for change – be it due to an economy that no longer supports manufacturing jobs, growing alienation due to the accelerating urban/rural divide, or the frustrating disfunction and legislative gridlock that has dominated DC for the last decade. Trump is quick, decisive, plain spoken, and unafraid to offend people. He is the opposite of everything Montesquieu, and the rest of DC's politicians (who have affected very little positive change for many Americans) stand for. For many Americans, reason, toleration, and eloquent rhetoric have gotten them very little in the last fifteen years, and as such reject said forms of debate and discourse.

    The enlightenment was a movement among wealthy intellectuals who didn't need to worry about paying a depreciated mortgage or trying to find their child a career in a job market their local high school couldn't prepare them. Can we reasonably expect the disaffected and struggling citizens of our country to embrace the reason and tolerance championed by the metro-area-dwelling-upper-middle-class? While I think that Trump's executive order is poorly constructed and wrong, I also think the situation is not as simple as you depict. While I too value reason, tolerance, and eloquent rhetoric, I consider those values a privilege and a luxury. While you think the way Trump has rejected Montesquieu is wrong, do you think their are healthy ways to reach out to those who lack the privilege of most philosophers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Star :),

    This is a very interesting view on our president, Donald Trump. I don't want to express any political views of mine in this post, but I have something to say. Although I agree that the Muslim ban was far from just, and that the tweets are excessive and propagandizing in a way, this man is now our president, whether we like it or not. Yes, we need to stand up for what we believe in and speak out for what we think is right, but maybe we need to pull ourselves together for at least four years. Seeing how stubborn president Trump is, we all know he isn't going to back down. Do you agree?

    America is another name for opportunity,
    (unknown)

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ♥Flexi_Ally_Kat♥,
      The question is: Do YOU want four more years of Donald Trump?
      I will not speak for you, but the point you make is the somewhat opposite of what many people want to happen with Trump. I do think however that you DO make a good point that he is our president, and although some would like him impeached, there is quite a difficulty in getting that to happen, especially when voting for it is almost always by party, and republicans currently have the majority.
      (Here's a video for that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRtJXnsUYBc)
      Whether we need to express ourselves more, or pull ourselves together, or even do a mixture of both, is up to us, and it's what we choose, that will decide our future.

      Delete
  4. Star :),

    This is a very interesting post. You described these propagandists quite well, and how propaganda has differed. I agree with your last section, but I also think that what Flexi_Ally_Kat, is saying is quite true. We need Trump, and his administration to know what people think, but breaking windows and gratifying isn't going to change anything, it'll just push toward that overcast and tense world you were talking about. What kind of mindset do you think we should have in these next four years?

    -Echoer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Star :),
    I really enjoyed reading your post! It really got me thinking about propagandists. I completely agree with the last section of your post. I also agree with some of what Flexi_Ally_Kat said but I don't agree with what Flexi_Ally_Kat said about pulling ourselves together: "we need to pull ourselves together for at least four years." Yes Trump is our president, but I for one am not going to stop expressing my opinions just because he won the election. I believe that everyone should always express their opinions, no matter who is president, and what he/she is saying.
    -nws

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Star :),
    I thought you did an amazing job of comparing Montesquieu with Donald Trump. You made a great argument, and it was put beautifully. I would like to mention however, what the Supreme Court said in 1950: “The exclusion of aliens is a fundamental act of sovereignty … inherent in the executive power,” and if there was doubt, Congress adopted a provision in 1952 saying the president “may by proclamation and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens and any class of aliens as immigrants or non-immigrants” whenever he thinks it “would be detrimental to the interests of the United States.”
    What do you think about how this affects Donald Trumps ban?

    Great Work!
    -King Nebuchadnezzar

    ReplyDelete