Friday, February 24, 2017

The positive effects of video games


Note: Before I get started, it’s important to say that too much of anything is bad, even oxygen

When people think of video games they think of someone sitting with a controler in front of a screen. People think of video games as an anti social hobby that only introverts do. In a research study over half of people said that none or only a few of video games were helpful with half of those people saying that they were entirely a waste of time. The easy retort to this is educational games. Students that play “Pre-social” games are more likely to help others in real life situations. Games can help students learn not to do drugs, or let students explore a simulated environment, and games to teach geography. 70% of teachers reported an increase in student engagement while using educational games
However not all games are educational, in fact most aren't. However that’s not to say that everything other than educational games are bad. They notably improve hand-eye coordination, and multitasking. Doctors who regularly play video games are better at laparoscopic surgery than those who don’t play video games. Video games can help improve confidence, in the form of achievements or other in game activities. Video games also promote group and team play. For example the game Overwatch gives users 20% more in game experience points for playing in a group, and game consoles have features that allow people to chat with their friends while they play.
Aside from all of this video games can offer a great bonding activity for parents and their kids, especially as parents are approaching their kids on their own turf. Seeing as the average age of video game players is 37 a whole new generation of parents is having kids while knowing the world of gaming. And hey guess what, those positive effects I was talking about. They work for adults too! Research done by ONR show that adults that play video games can process information faster and improve in their abilities to solve problems and reason.
There are other activities that can provide the same skills, but video games are fun. Many people will say that games are addictive, and I am not here to argue against that. All I will say of the matter is that video games don’t use chemicals or hormones to trigger releases in the brain.
I know personally for me video games can be an escape. Have you noticed the world we are inheriting. A video game is a work of art whether you view it as “high art” or “low art” is your choice. I don’t use video games to improve my reaction times or things like that. I use video games to have fun. My personal purpose of this was not to prove that videogames are good. I wanted to prove that they aren’t bad. Video Gamers still face stereotypes as fat boys living in their parents basement. This is extremely far from true.  Video games are for all, and to be played by all.

22 comments:

  1. Peanutbutter,

    I completely agree with you! I too use video games as an escape, and I believe as long as what you are playing isn't too graphic for your own age, then it is a fun learning experience! Do you think parents need to better understand this concept? This is a really great blog post, and I am inspired by your courage to stand up and fight for what you believe in!

    Game on,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peanutbutter,

    When you think about it at first, you would think videogames don't cause any good But if you look t it in the deeper side, it can be very beneficial.I am glad you shared this article! When you first got ahold of a controller, did you ever think about negative impacts of playing videogames?

    Great work!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peanutbutter,

    As an avid gamer, I'm always frustrated when I see people complaining about how the modern youth are being "desensitized" to violence, and video games are about as harmful as drugs. You really went ahead to turn down those claims with facts, and I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Peanutbutter,
    Video games are usually thought of as unhealthy for teens and children, but you brought up some excellent points about the pros of gaming. Do you think video games have a more positive or negative impact on people?

    aquaSongbird

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Peanutbutter,
    I love your topic because I didn't know that much about the affects of gaming and I basically without meaning to, believed in the stereotype you were talking about. Do you think that some types of games are worse than others?
    Tennis MS CGS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peanutbutter,

    I really enjoyed your article. It was cool to find out that some doctors who play video games can actually do better performing surgery on a patient, I had no idea! I also found it interesting when you talked about the 'fat boy living in basement' stereotype, although it may not be true, I'm curious to know how the stereotype originated?
    - Izzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Izzy,

      Thanks for you for the comment! When the first video games were created they were on computers. Back then it was considered weird for girls to use computers and only the "nerdy boys used them". This got worse as "damsel in distress" caught on. Hence a (very) brief history of video game sexism.

      -Peanut

      Delete
  7. Peanutbutter,
    I really liked looking at all the video games from every ones angle.I was just wondering how in the world video games could improve your hand eye?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Peanutbutter,
    Your article is really interesting! I'm not a gamer myself, and the times that i've played games with friends I haven't found them particularly enjoyable. What do you find entertaining about gaming? I don't have anything against gamers, I'm just genuinely curious. :)
    -nws

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Peanutbutter,

    This blog was great! It was written well, and was really interesting. I was wondering, what is your favorite video game? I won't judge you.
    Amazing article!

    -Sushi is the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Sushi,

      Thanks! My favorite video game is Overwatch, however Mario Kart has a special place in my heart. What's yours?

      Thanks- Peanut

      Delete
  12. Hi Peanutbutter,

    I thought this post was quite interesting. I love all of your evidence that video games actually can be good for you and be super fun at the same time. How do doctors who regularly play video games are better at laparoscopic surgery than those who don’t play video games?

    -ILoveBasketball

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Basketball,

      Thanks for your comments! To answer your question doctors who play video games are better a robotic laparoscopic surgery because, they have better hand eye coordination and reaction times. Surprisingly this also helps doctors who played before becoming doctors!

      Delete
  13. Dear Peanut butter,
    Personally, my weekends are heavily occupied by the suction of a boot camped mac, so I am coming from the same perspective. This article was very relatable and helped me try to make a point to the adults in my house. While I was reading, I was thinking about two things: how much is too much, and how many hours per week do you play?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jewels,

      Thanks for joining the discussion! I don't know how many hours I play a week but I will try to keep track. How much is too much? Thats hard, it really depends on you, for example if all you do in your free time is play video games that may be too much. You also can judge by your spend, for example if you get a 200$ gaming mouse or such.

      Thanks- Peanut butter

      Delete
  14. Hello Peanutbutter,

    When I play video games it lets me explore a world that is much more interesting than the real one. What video games do you play?
    Might I add that on PC you can also have group chats, so it is not only limited to console.

    -David C.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi peanutbutter,
    This was a really interesting thing to read. Normally you hear about the negative effects of video games, so it was refreshing to see the positive aspect of it. I especially love the fact that you talked about overwatch, a game I like to play as well. What is your favorite video game?
    -Davitts

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Peanut butter

    This is a very well written blog and has lots of info which I like also it is very easy to follow and does not get boring. When do you think that people will use virtually reality more to play game. This is a very well written blog response with lots of great information.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Peanutbutter,

    What a well written post! This post kept me intrigued because this topic is something I can totally relate to. There were so many interesting facts such as how doctors who play video games seem to be better at performing more precise surgery. That absolutely blew my mind. What is your favorite game console?

    -Camy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Peanutbutter,
    I totally agree with what you said, and thought that you wrote an amazing article. It really interested me as I read this, as I play video games, and thought that the facts you listed about doctors performing laparoscopy better was really intriguing. I was wondering if your parents play video games with you?

    -King Nebuchadnezzar

    ReplyDelete