People didn't only play differently, they also had different rules. One of the most noticeable ones is how people promote their paws. How do you promote a pawn? How you promote a pawn is pushing it all the way to your opponent's back rank. What this does is now you can turn it into any piece in the game, but how it used to be was it would only turn into the piece who's file its on. If you promoted a pawn on the side of the board, it would turn into a rook because the rook starts on the side. Another promotion change was you used to be able to promote to your opponents pieces. You would usually not want to do this but it was useful in some situations like this one.This position has white mating black in one move before the promotion rule change.
The answer is pawn to b8 promoting to a black rook checkmate.
Many rules are local rules. In India, it used to be that pawns could only move one square at a time, and in some other places, pawns could only move by capturing your opponent's pieces. Rules only became universal when people from different regions played each other competitively in 1834.
When I first started to playing chess, all I would do was attack and try to find ways to break my opponents position down. This is how people first started playing chess in the 1700s and for some of the 1800s. They played simply by attacking and trying to charge in and break their opponents pawn structure and attack head on. It makes sense that they would play this way and develop better strategies over generations because a single chess game can have over 288 billion different possible positions after only four moves each so it would take many years for people to find the best moves. The fundamentals have stayed the same for the most part but it is a relatively new thing to keep your king safe early on in the game.
Let me give you an example of one of the games I've played:
https://en.lichess.org/Hxvcr0Hu5z98
This is a game I played online and I played an opening called the stonewall attack. This is where I control the center of the board so I have the option to attack either side of the board. I messed up in the mid-game when I left my queen hanging on b4. Because I made this mistake, I have to take some chances or I'll eventually lose the game to his superior pieces. I attack with my rook on the queen's side which distracts him so my knight can then get a fork on his king and rook with my knight on the king's side on move thirty-four. Because he had sacrificed three pawns and a bishop for my queen, I am now up three pawns and can just push them down the queen's side and win the game.
Sources:
http://io9.gizmodo.com/how-chess-has-changed-over-the-last-150-years-1707692642
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+many+moves+in+a+chess+game&oq=ho&aqs=chrome.0.69i59l3j69i61j69i60j69i61.1457j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#safe=active&q=immortal+game&*
Hey I Love Basketball! I think it is really cool how chess has evolved over the years and I had no idea about the old pawn promotion rule! I just have one question. If the pawn becomes a queen, could the king just take it and not be in check?
ReplyDeleteThanks! AC
I love Basketball,
ReplyDeleteI thought it was fascinating how there are different chess rules in different regions. I am interested in how you started play the game.
laxandpizzaandbmth
I started playing in 1st grade because I wanted to be like my older brother and have a rating.
Delete-ILoveBasketball
I love basketball,
ReplyDeleteI never knew Chess could be so complicated and strategic! I think it is extremely interesting how both the game and the strategies to win it have evolved over time, and after reading your post, I am very interested in learning how to play! Do you play on a chess team? I bet it will be very fun to compete now, as you know about all the strategies and history of the game!
Pawn on,
-Flexi
Wonderful question Flexi! As it turns out, I do play on a team. I play with some CG high schoolers every Wednesday. How it works is every player plays one game and the team that has the most wins, wins!
Delete-ILoveBasketball
To I love basketball.
ReplyDeleteIt is so fascinating that chess is all about strategy opposed to just attacking and breaking down. You would think it's all about taking pieces and attacking, but all of chess is planning. Do you want to play chess when you grow up?
Great post!
-Lion
Dear I love basketball,
ReplyDeleteYour topic is really interesting because you talked about the strategies in chess. I really like you put one of your games online and included it. How did it happen that different regions ended up with different rules?
-KB Blogger
Great question Lion! I already do play chess and I plan on playing even when I'm older.
ReplyDelete-ILoveBasketball
Dear cooldude,
ReplyDeleteThat's a great question about the king taking the queen when it promotes. The answer is simple, the pawn prior to the rule change could promote into a black piece and so the black king could not take it. this wouldn't work with the modern chess rules because now you can only promote into your pieces.
Hi basketball,
ReplyDeletethis post is really interesting! I love the pictures and how informative the writing is. As someone who barely knows how to play chess, it really helped me to understand how this game is so diverse and has changed throughout time. Do you play chess a lot, and if you do, what do you like about it the most?
-Davitts1
Dear Davitts,
ReplyDeleteGreat questions! I play chess all the time and go to tournaments all year round. The thing I like about chess the most is that you have to calculate all of the possible positions and then chose the one to take.
-ILoveBasketball
Dear I love basketball 123,
ReplyDeleteThis article was very interesting! I love the information you put and how detailed it was. How did this game get as popular as it is today?
Great story,
Sushi is the best!
Great question Sushi is the best! For one, chess is a very old board game, which gave it time to gather followers, and two, chess is a easy game to learn but impossible to completely master, so people can learn it all their life.
ReplyDeleteGreat question,
-ILoveBasketball
Hey I love Basketball 123,
ReplyDeleteVery interesting post! How many possible checkmates are there?
-NWS
DeleteNWS,
Nice question! The answer is their are infinite checkmates on a chess board!
-ILoveBasketball
Hey I Love Basketball 123-
ReplyDeleteNice blog post! I always enjoy a game of chess (although I'm not the best at it) but I never knew about the history of chess. It's cool to hear about different strategies in chess as well. How did you get into chess?
Thanks, XC Runner
XC Runner,
DeleteNice question! I got into chess back in kindergarten because I used to play with a friend after school and have been playing nonstop ever since. I loved the game and wanted to continue my learning. One of the best parts about chess is that it's easy to learn but you can spend your whole lifetime learning new things and you will never completely master it.
-ILoveBasketball
Dear I love Basketball 123,
ReplyDeleteWhat is your favorite strategy in Chess?
I liked how you went in detail on how they used to play back then, and what coordinates you had to move your pawn.
-David C.
David C.,
DeleteThat's an excellent question! My personal favorite strategy is to control the center with my queen pawn because after you control the center, you have the ability to attack on either side of the board. I usually have so much flexibility in my position I can overwhelm one side of the board with a piece, and when my opponent comes to defend, I attack on the other side.
-ILoveBasketball
Hi, I love Basketball 123!
ReplyDeleteThis was a very informative post! When you mentioned India's rules of chess, I had to do a double take because I've never thought about other cultures playing chess before (obviously, I have a very limited perspective). Do all other cultures play chess differently than Americans? Do some cultures have different shaped boards or different shaped playing pieces?
Thanks for the post!
- Fri
Dear I love Basketball 123,
ReplyDeleteI do not play Chess so I do not know much about it but I liked your blog a lot because I found out more then the basic things about it but I also found out a lot of history about it. Do you play Chess a lot with your family?
Sincerely,
LoveAndGelato