The Technological revolution is not a certain date in history, but a new way people started doing work, sports, and getting information. There is so much to talk about I'm going to be narrowing it down. I'm going to be talking about the yellow line in the NFL. Most of you probably have seen the yellow line on Tv before and thought nothing of it. Actually, that line was one of the biggest innovations in football history. The line started out in the game of Hockey it was made so that people watching at home could follow along with the game. They also, added speed sensitive blue to red jets on the side of the pucks. If they were going slow they would streak with and outer blue shell, and if there were going fast they would glow with red. Even though this was a very good idea in theory when the first game with these new technologies aired it had a lash back from the at home viewers who said it was very blurry and it made the game even harder to watch so the hockey channel cut it. For about 10 years the company who was making these lined had no income and were just making the technology better. One day the NFL reached out to them asking if they could implement that for them. So they did and this time the fans loved it they said it was the best addition to football yet. Fast-forward to 2012 and they NFL are planning on cutting it out because it costed so much each game to do it, they thought know one would care too much if it was gone. When they released this to the public, there was an outburst because everyone had learned to love the line and there were so many complaints they decided to keep the line for the fans. T

Interesting post! I would love to hear your thoughts about the role of technology in other sports as well!
ReplyDeleteDear Grace Masback ,
DeleteI think that technology plays a big role in fencing because they have plates on there body that can show you if they got hit or not.
Do you think that football measurement will ever go completely digital? Do you think there will be a day when we have chips in the ball and sensors in the field that make all the calls, with referees reduced to just calling penalties?
ReplyDeletedear hoytser,
DeleteYes I do think this will happen eventually but I think the next addition to football will be balls with sensor in them to detect if there low on air.
Bobbytheunicorn,
ReplyDeleteThat is so cool! I can't believe I haven't noticed that line before! I am sure I have, but like you said, thought nothing of it! This is a very visually appealing, well written blog post, and I applaud you for your appreciated efforts! The line is like the hidden figure in football! Do you think most football players know about the yellow line?
Play on,
-Flexi
Dear ♥Flexi_Ally_Kat♥,
DeleteI do not think they they ever think anything of it because it is not that noticeable as you said.
Bobbytheunicorn,
ReplyDeleteVery interesting post! I never knew that the yellow line started off in hockey! Wow! Thanks for the great information! How would the reaction be if the yellow line started off in football opposed to hockey?
-Lion
dear Lion,
DeleteI feel like we would be at the same point but If football where to have this addition first we would of had it early.
Bobbytheunicorn,
ReplyDeleteI did not know that the first down line on TV started from a failed invention for hockey! Your post really taught me everything I wondered about the yellow line, thanks! Have you ever played football, can the players on the field see the yellow line, and who is your favorite football team?
-AverageOnion
Dear AverageOnion,
DeleteI have only played flag football but i would like to play real football in the future, No they can not see the yellow line because its digitally made, also my favorite team is Oregon state.
Hello Bobbytheunicorn,
ReplyDeleteYour post is really interesting! I had never thought about how technology has influenced sports games, but the more I think about it, the more examples I come up with. Have you seen the Intel drones that can make pictures in the air? (Not strictly a sports thing, but they were used during the Super Bowl.) I think their super cool!
-NWS
Dear NWS,
ReplyDeleteyes I did see that they are very cool and helping the sport a lot to make it easier for viewers to watch. Your Friend Bobby The Unicorn