The Industrial Revolution was a time of making improvements, and was a "complete and radical change." Primarily, the Industrial Revolution was about replacing hand tools with machinery. But there was another, smaller revolution alongside this Industrial Revolution.For many years, a period of music known as the Classical era thrived, featuring famous composers such as Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Joseph Haydn. From symphonies to solo concertos for stringed instruments, these prolific prodigies eventually became some of the most recognized composers in the classical music world. But during the start of the 19th century, compositions started displaying more emotions and expressiveness. With these new additions to music, the Romantic era had begun. The Romantic era brought forward many widely known composers who continue to have their masterpieces played all over the world.
![]() |
| A portrait of Mozart composing music |
Recently on the cello, I played a piece by Frederic Chopin (1810-1849) that contained many characteristics from the Romantic era. These characteristics included more lyrical melodies, wider contrasts of dynamics, technically virtuosic passages, and more freedom in the structure of the music. Pieces can really reflect on the composer's generation, but, after they pass away, they are not present to tell the story of the music. It, therefore, becomes the performer's job to portray a story, be it the story that the composer imagined while writing the work, or a story far from that of the composer. The important thing is to convince the audience of moods and characters, which is similar to convincing the audience in theatrical plays.
These two revolutions were important, transformational events that helped shape the modern world.
![]() |
| Frederic Chopin |
Here is a recording of cellist Yo-Yo Ma, and pianist Emanuel Ax playing a piece by Frederic Chopin:
Yo-Yo Ma and Emanuel Ax- Chopin Polonaise Brillante in C Maj.
Thank you to the following sources:
Industrial Revolution Image Source
Frederic Chopin Image Source
http://www.gramophone.co.uk/feature/top-10-romantic-composers
http://www.rpfuller.com/gcse/music/romantic.html


I would be interested to know what story you portrayed when you played the Chopin piece.
ReplyDeleteEllen,
DeleteThank you so much for your comment. This particular piece, Chopin's Polonaise Brilliante, is not only one for the cello, but a duet between cello and piano. In the introduction, the cello and piano have a "conversation", where the music goes back and forth between the instruments. Later in the piece though, the cello and piano intertwine, and it becomes more important for them to share an idea of the story. So during this piece, I portrayed different moods from angry and aggressive, to more beautiful and melodic characters. Thank you for taking the time to read this blog post!
-Wangk
This is great! The industrial revolution is often painted as dirty and unappealing so it is intriguing to understand the significant role that art played!
ReplyDeleteGrace Masback,
DeleteThank you for comment! I agree the industrial revolution is not always looked at with a positive feel, but art certainly thrived during this time. Classical music was especially interesting then, as it was making its way to become more popular among people!
Thanks!
-Wangk
Dear Wangk,
ReplyDeleteI like that you chose to write about a different topic that no one really talks or learns about. I've heard about many of the eras of music, but I never learned about where they came from, or when. I play the piano and I love expressing myself through the notes- especially when I play romantic pieces. the recording you added to your post was very colorful and artistic.
What is your favorite musical era, and why?
- aquaSongbird
aquaSongbird,
DeleteThank you for your comment. I'm glad you can relate to expressing music through your piano playing! To answer your question, my favorite musical eras are late Classical Era and the Romantic Era because these eras produced some great works for all instruments, and the style is very passionate. Great question!
-Wangk
Wangk,
ReplyDeleteI can see your burning passion for music in your writing! Thank you for educating me on a topic we all knew so little about! I rarely play music, making this post even more informative to me! Do you play an instrument?
Best wishes,
-Flexi
Flexi,
DeleteThank you for commenting! Yes, in fact, people rarely know much about this particular topic, and neither did I until I researched it. I'm glad you play music, even if it's only a little. To address your question, I do play an instrument; cello. Thanks for asking!
-Wangk
Wangk,
ReplyDeleteI loved that you wrote a blog about you passion. People usually don't think about how much music has impacted us. I think that music is a great way to express yourself. Is playing the Cello a way to express your feelings?
-Ava
Ava,
DeleteThanks for your comment! Music really has impacted us a lot, whether its classical or another type. Cello is definitely a way to express my feelings, but it depends on the piece. The mood of one work can be complete opposite or very similar to that of another.
Thanks!
-Wangk
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWangK,
ReplyDeletelove your post! It is very inspirational and interesting! The descriptions of the different eras were really cool! Do you have a favorite era of music? Did Chopin live in the romantic era, or did his music just have those characteristics?
-Pointe Shoe Lover
Pointe Shoe Lover,
DeleteThank you for commenting! I'm glad this post was inspiring to you, because music has been very inspiring to me. My favorite eras of music are late Classical Era and the Romantic Era. Yes, to answer your question, Chopin did live during the Romantic Era.
Thanks,
-Wangk
Hi WangK,
ReplyDeleteThe point you made about how after the writers pass away, it is the job of the performer to tell the story, is exceptional, and it was accompanied by some amazing writing. I was wondering if you prefer to play classical or romantic era music more?
-SK
King Nebuchadnezzar,
DeleteThanks for commenting! I'm glad you liked the part of the performer telling a story. This really brings a plain performance to life. Personally, I enjoy playing music from the Romantic Era more because the pieces are more emotionally captivating.
Thanks!
-Wangk
Wangk
ReplyDeleteGreat article! This is such a unusual and unique blog! I to play an instrument, and my violin teacher said that when you are stressed, music can relieve it. Do you ever try that. Have you played modern music? If so, do you enjoy it more than romantic and classical era's?
Great work!
-Lion
Lion,
DeleteThank you for the comment. Great that you could make a connection to your violin playing! Yes, actually I do find playing music stress relieving, because it focuses you on the music you are producing and nothing else. I have played modern music, and I find it very fun and different to play. I can't really compare modern to romantic/classical music because they are so extremely different, and I like both. But it depends what kind of modern music as some I like better than others. Thanks for asking a great question!
-Wangk
Wangk,
ReplyDeleteI love this post! I like how you share how the Classical era transformed into the Romantic era by adding emotion and expressiveness to the music. When you play the cello, do you prefer playing pieces from the Romantic era or the Classical era?
-ILoveBasketball