Saturday, February 4, 2017

Is Technology good or bad for school?

       Technology can do many good things, and help with education. On the other hand, there are many bad side effects to tons of screen time. So the big question is, is technology good or bad for education?
       Technology at Catlin is everywhere. In almost any classroom there is a class set or 2 of computers, a projector, and maybe some I-pads. Technology is great for learning. There is stuff like Haiku for knowing what the homework is. Also many other things online to help make it easier for teachers to make assignments like Big Ideas Math or Google Classroom. Also there is less paper being wasted. Technology can help teachers and students a ton if you don't use it a ton.  
No Pencils anymore!

       Technology helps me a ton. I have bad handwriting, so I can just type and I don't have to worry about good handwriting and can focus on the content. I also get access to tons of information. For example, if I was studying Saturn, instead of buying a ton of books I could look up Saturn and it comes up with 12 million results. Out of that I could gather way more information then going to get a few books. It also helps me keep track of everything. Instead of keeping stuff I write in my binder where it could get lost I could just go in google drive and store all my documents. I can also just go onto Haiku to know my homework. Teachers also can make a class more fun by showing us a video of the information that we are learning. Over all technology has revolutionized Catlin Gabel and made class more fun.
       The stuff above is great, but screens also have their downsides. Screens leak some radiation that causes DNA fragments, and other health concerns. The amount that a person under 18 should spend at max is 2 hours(http://kidshealth.org/en/parents/tv-habits.html). Now think about how much we spend on a screen a day at Catlin Gabel. About 1/2 of the day in the middle school is spent on a screen. For a full school day, it is from 8-3:15, so 435 minutes. That means we spend 3.6 hours on screens in a regular school day. At home I usually have 45 minutes of homework, and spend 45 minutes doing other stuff on a screen. That means on average, I personally spend 5.1 hours on a screen a day. Over two times the recommended amount! over 4 of those hours were not my own choice. We spend way too much time on a screen at Catlin Gabel.
       In conclusion, technology can help a ton, if you don't spend too much time on it. It helps teachers to teach and students to learn. It helps give tons of information and saves trees. If you use it too much it can cause DNA fragments though. If we don't spend too much time on it, technology is useful and makes class extremely fun.

20 comments:

  1. What an interesting debate! It is interesting to think how the role of technology in education has evolved just in our lifetimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started using technology for school in MS, and I suspect that you started even earlier. It seems likely that technology will become important in education at younger and younger ages over the coming years. How early do you think most student will begin to use computers for school in ten years. Do you think this will be mostly a good or a bad thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sushi is the Best,

    What an interesting contradictory. Technology both has revolutionized the way schools teach and kids learn, and is unhealthy to use for more than two hours! I use a computer at school for at least 3/4 of the day, and use one for about two and a half hours after school is over, most of that time used for homework. In fact, I am using technology to post a comment on your blog post at this very minute! I love technology and how easy it is to use, but should schools drift away from the excessive use of it to keep us safe and healthy?

    This is a great debate,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Flexi_ally_kat,

      Great question. I think schools should spend a lot of time using computers, but there should also be more learning outside and off a screen. Thanks for the question,

      -Sushi is the best

      Delete
  4. Sushi is the Best,

    This was an amazingly detailed and thought out piece of writing. I enjoy how you debate about it and you show the pros and cons of the thing most integrated into our modern day lives. Almost everyone knows a little about the pros and cons with technology but do you think that even if they know this they will continue using tech?

    WB25

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey WiseBob25,

      That is a good question. I think that people will continue using tech because it is easier and sometimes fun. I just wish we got outside more and used computers a bit less. Great question, and I can not fully answer it. Only time will tell.

      -Sushi is the best

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Sushi is the Best,
    You are absolutely right. Technology is very helpful for schoolwork, but I am concerned about the health problems it will produce. I've heard many preschools around the country are giving children iPads to play educational games. how do you think the future schools are going to run if technology keeps getting more widely used?

    aquaSongbird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey aquasongbird,

      That is a great question and I don't fully know the answer to that. I am afraid though that kids will be introduced to tech at younger and younger ages, which will make them use it more. I have a feeling that schools will use tech more once it becomes cheeper and more widespread. I am sorry I can not fully answer that question. Great question though!

      -Sushi is the best

      Delete
  7. Sushi is the Best,

    I agree with this post in many ways. At Catlin everyone probably uses technology in classrooms. The technology helps us so much yet it can lead to problems too. How do you think people will deal with this problem?

    -Ava

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ava,

      That is an excellent question! I can not tell you what people will for sure do, but I predict that some people will try to keep their kids from screens, but I don't know if anyone will do anything about it cause it is a lot easier to just teach from a screen then writing everything out and grading everything by hand.

      -Sushi is the best

      Delete
  8. Hello Sushi is the Best,
    I'm pretty good with computers, but I had no idea screens emit radiation! I hope someone finds a screen that doesn't do that! Preferably as soon as possible!
    -nws

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi NWS,

      I also do hope that they invent a computer that doesn't emit radiation, but I don't know if it is possible. It is like how microwaves emit radiation, but it is impossible to make them not. A few years ago people would have said smart phones and siri could never exist, so I don't know.

      -sushi is the best

      Delete
  9. Hi Sushi is the best,
    This is obviously a very controversial subject and I think you did a great job giving both sides. In the future, do you think tech will run schools?
    -ILoveBasketball

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I love basketball 123,

      That is a good question. The thing is I already think they have started running schools in a way. Before they were just grading math, and now they can grade writing, and any other thing. This means teachers don't have to work as much. I bet in a lot of schools they will keep it the old way, but I bet computers will run some schools sometime soon.

      -sushi is the best

      Delete
  10. Sushi is the best,
    I thought your blog post really gave some good arguments. I like how you compared it to real life projects you have (the Saturn project).Do you think someday we could be able to learn only by being behind a screen and not physically seeing each other?

    Keep up the good posts,
    Own

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Own,

      This is a great question. I do think that we can already learn without seeing each other. Look at Khan Academy for an example, free courses that you do without going to school. Great question,

      -sushi is the best

      Delete
  11. Sushi is the best,
    I like your blog post because it talked about how technology makes schools better. I like how you talked about the upside and the downside and gave your personal opinion. Technology has become a big part of schools. Without technology teaching would be more difficult. Do you think that schools will eventually become fully dependent on technology?
    -KB Blogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi K B Blogger,

      That is a good question. I don't know for sure, but I will tell you what I think. Schools have already started becoming dependent of technology, and I suspect that as the tech becomes more affordable, more schools will teach fully on a screen. Already computers are grading english papers, and the high school here has all the homework online.

      -sushi is the best

      Delete
  12. Dear sushi,
    Ill make this quick so as not to get too much radiation. There were a lot of interesting facts in your article! 5.1 is a huge amount! I was curious, do you think iPhone gaming is worse for you or better?

    -JT

    ReplyDelete