Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Terrarium


Image result for wardian case terrarium
The first terrarium was invented by accident in a small jar that was left unattended and started to grow  a fern and that is how the terrarium was born in 1842. A terrarium is a sealed glass case that can hold plants. It had a cycle where the animals in the case make carbon dioxide that the plants use for photosynthesis. That repeats itself till you have to water the plants which only happens once a year. The terrarium quickly became popular within England, but then it was known as the Wardian Case. People that could afford them had them in their houses. 
     The main use for Wardian cases was to transport plants from one continent to another. They first used it to transport plants from Great Britain to Sydney. The trips would take 6 months to a year. When they would try to take different specimens of plants or animals they would normally die. When they put the plants inside of a terrarium they would not die but they would thrive and grow. They could also put animals in the cases what had plants that they liked to hang around. There were lots of plants like ferns and smaller flowers. On the long journey to deliver new plants to the own continents they had to nail all of the Wardian Cases to the deck of the ship to allow them to get sunlight. The Wardian Case was an incredible invention for it's time amazed many different scientists. It made it easier to learn about new plants and animals.

24 comments:

  1. I love terrariums! Thanks for writing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear climbing is life,
    I like your topic because terrariums are very cool and interesting. I didn't know that they had been along for so long. Today, are they ever used differently?
    -KB Blogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KB blogger,
      I only think that they are used for decoration and they might not transport plants from country to country anymore because now we have plains to fly them.
      -Climbing is life

      Delete
  3. Climbing is Life,

    Terrariums never cease to amaze me! They have such a beautiful aesthetic to them! I think I will have them all over my future house! I find it interesting how a scientific experiment turned into a popular decorative item in peoples homes! Do you think you will own a terrarium at some point in your life?

    It's all in the aesthetic,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flexi,
      I do own a terrarium right now and I made it at Roosevelt's Terrariums if you were interested in making one to, they are a really good decoration, and a lot of fun to make.
      -Climbing is Life

      Delete
  4. Climbing is Life,

    I had never known where terrariums came from or that a true terrarium is sealed up. This is a very interesting blog post, good job! It is kind of amazing all the different things in our lives that were created by accident. Why was it called a Wardian case?

    -Echoer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Echoer,
      It is called a Wardian case because the scientist that discovered it was named Nathaniel Bagshaw Ward, and he named it after himself.
      -Climbing is Life

      Delete
  5. Climbing is Life,

    Oh my gosh I love terrariums! Thank you so much for writing this beautiful article! Do you still think scientist use terrariums to this day?
    Nice work!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lion,
      I would think that scientists would still use them today if they were trying to see how fast a plant can grow or if they are doing test the environment won't change if it is in a terrarium.
      -Climbing is Life

      Delete
  6. Hi Climbing is life!

    Terrariums seem awesome, are they still used today? and if so where? What type of Animals? This was great and I liked learning about terrariums.

    - JPLAX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JPLAX,
      Yes, terrariums are still used today but mainly for decoration in your house. When I went and made a terrarium they were selling frogs to go with them, but I am not sure what other animals can live in terrariums.

      -Climbing is Life

      Delete
  7. Climbing is life,

    Hi! This is great! I really liked it! Why did u choose to write about terrariums? Do you like them? What kind of animals were put inside the terrariums?

    GroovyGirl

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Climbing is life,
    I now want to get a terrarium! Do you have an terrarium of your own?
    -bumpsetspike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi bumpsetspike
      Yes I do own a terrarium it was a lot of fun to make and a cool decoration for my room.
      -climbing is life

      Delete
  9. I love this post! I love the first fact about how the first terrarium was invented by accident, that actually seems very realistic. Have you ever made a terrarium? If you got the chance to make one what would it look like? All in all great post! I loved it
    -be happy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Climbing is Life,

    What an interesting and creative topic to write about! This seriously opened my mind to the history of terrariums, which I had never wondered about before. Since I know that you got the chance to make a terrarium, was it hard? Are you happy with it?

    Palace43

    ReplyDelete
  11. Climbing is Life,

    This is such an unique and different topic to write about. I have never really thought about this topic. Do you have a terrarium?

    -Ava

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi climbing is life!
    I like how you included how terrariums started! Have you ever been to a giant one before? Good job!
    -lexilou25

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lexilou25
      I have not been to a giant terrarium but they look really cool and there are so many beautiful plants.

      -climbing is life

      Delete
  15. Hello Climbing is life,
    Terrariums are so cool! My brother has a little one with a gnome in it. (Random) Do you have a terrarium?
    -NWS

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Climbing is life,
    That is a really cool topic to right about! I have never heard about a terrarium before. Why did you choose this topic? Have you ever tried to make one?
    Great job,
    Tennis MS CGS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi tennis MS CGS
      I chose this topic because the week before we had to wright our posts I went to this place and made a terrarium.
      -climbing is life

      Delete