Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Soccer - My Story

Soccer Tots
The first time that I played soccer was when I was two, and I was a Soccer Tot. Soccer Tots is a little kids soccer class, and you can see a picture of me participating in the class on the right. When I was in kindergarten, my mom asked me if I wanted to play recreational soccer, and I said yes, so she signed me up. My recreational team was
the Power Kickers, and we were a very good team for the three seasons I played with them. In third grade I stopped playing recreational soccer and I moved on to play club soccer because my parents thought there would be better coaching, more competition, and in general it would give me more opportunity to develop myself as a player. The club team that I went to play for was Willamette United Soccer Club, or WUSC. Since this was club soccer, I had to tryout, but nonetheless, I’m pretty sure everyone was offered a spot since it was just third grade soccer. Even though I made my age group team,
Playing recreational soccer
I was placed on the B team, which was not the team I wanted to be on. I strongly disliked the fact that I wasn’t on the A team, yet I would scrimmage and practice with them all the time, so I asked my mom why I wasn’t on the A team, and she told me that it was 
probably because the coach didn’t know me very well in the beginning of the season when she made teams. After all, my coach had coached most of the girls in my age group the year before, so it made sense that she didn’t know me as well as the other girls. Because I hated being on the B team so much, I worked harder in practice to improve my game, so I could move up to the A team the next year. However, things didn’t go as well as I wanted them to go because we got a new coach, and after tryouts I was once again placed on the B team. This didn’t make me happy, so I continued working hard and trying my best at practices and games to show the coach that I was good enough to be on the A team. Eventually this work paid off because later that season in the spring when rosters were readjusted, I was put on the A team. Even though I got rostered on the A team, I didn’t stop working hard because in order to keep myself on the team I needed to prove that I was willing to work hard and improve. I continued to play with WUSC the following year, but there were a couple of changes that affected my team and me. One change was that we got a new coach, and another change was that the way
Playing soccer with Willamette United
teams were separated based on age was changed. Previously, teams were divided by grade level, but leagues were changing it so teams now had to be divided by birth year. This change affected my team because some girls that were born in 2005 moved up to play with players that were a grade level ahead of us that were born in the same year, while the rest of us that were born in 2006 were joined by some girls that were born in the year we were, but were a grade level below us. Luckily, the people who left my team weren’t super close to me, and they weren’t necessarily on the A team with me, so my team didn’t experience super dramatic changes. Also, I had been playing midfield for pretty much my whole life, and then my new coach started playing me as a center defender, which has a very different role than a midfielder, and I didn’t like playing so far back. I was used to being able to get further up the field on the attack, and because I was moved to center defender I gained greater defensive responsibilities that I didn’t previously have. Because playing defender wasn’t what I wanted to be playing, I tried to prove to my coach that I could play midfield just as well, and even better than the people who were currently playing there, but my coach kept playing me as a center defender, so I had to learn to like it.
Playing soccer with Willamette United
Even 
though there were changes that affected me in the beginning of my 5th grade year playing soccer, my team ended up being successful. In the summer, we did very well in the tournaments we played in, and even won a couple, which got us off to a great start. We finished in second place for the fall season, which gave us a good seed for the state tournament (State Cup) which we participated in later that spring. As State Cup drew closer, everyone got much more serious in training and during games because it was the first year we were able to participate in the tournament, and we all wanted the win under our belts. We started off the tournament by fighting our way to a 1-0 victory over PCU (Portland City United), and then solidly defeating CUSC (Clackamas United Soccer Club) 3-0. Then, we rolled over LOSC (Lake Oswego Soccer Club) 9-0, which collected us our third win, and gave us a spot in the semifinal. We played Westside Timbers in our next game, which was very close from the first whistle to the final whistle, and both teams had many opportunities score, but neither did. The end of regulation ended in a draw, so we entered the first fifteen minute period of overtime. I was very nervous going into overtime because if the score was still tied after the two overtime periods, we would have to determine a winner in penalty kicks, and my team had experienced that several times before, and it was not fun. Luckily, the game wasn’t sent into penalty kicks because Bri, my teammate, scored a goal in the second overtime to give us the lead, and we were able to hold that lead up until the final whistle.
When I won State Cup
After 
the game, my team joyously ran onto the field jumping excitedly because we were headed to the finals! In the finals we rematched PCU, who we had previously played in the first game of the tournament. The game felt very professional because there was someone filming it, and before we played, we all lined up behind the refs and walked out to the middle of the field, and then stood in a line adjacent to them, so all of the people that were watching us could see our teams. The final game ended up being a lot less stressful than the semifinal match we had just played because the game ended in regulation with us winning at a comfortable 3-0. This win meant we were 2017 state champions, and my team as well as myself were overjoyed! Yes, this game wasn’t like winning the World Cup or the Olympics, but it was a big win for us, and a great way to end our season. My team had moderate success the next season, coming in the middle of the rankings in the fall, then coming in a little higher in the rankings in the spring, and then losing the semifinal match of State Cup, but overall it wasn’t a bad season. When tryouts came around for the 2018/2019 season, many of my teammates took a different path, including myself. I decided to try out for a different team the next season because my parents and I thought it was time for a change, and also because our team was losing about six of our players, so the team would be very different if I had stayed. The two clubs that I was looking at to play for next were GPS (Global Premier Soccer), and Westside Timbers. It was a pretty tough decision with many things to consider, but in the end I decided to try out for Westside Timbers. I ended up making the team, and I am playing my first season as a Westside Timber currently. Since the beginning of the season, I have
When we won the Beaverton Cup
been a starting center midfielder, which is where I 
actually want to play. This season has been pretty successful so far for both me and my team because we tallied wins in the Adidas Beaverton Cup, the Beaverton Cup 4v4 tournament, and the Mt. Hood Challenge, and we also tied for first in the fall league. I have also developed a lot as a player over the past few years in many different areas of the game. I have improved different areas of my game from ball skills to endurance all the way to my mentality. I plan to keep working to improve myself as a player on and off the field, and hopefully that work will pay off in the near future of my soccer career.




13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Goat Girl,
    The piece had a lot about how you went through your soccer career so far. There is a lot of detail about your career and it explains why you like soccer so much. It made me wonder what i want to do as a soccer player going forward. After a lot of thought it brought up the question, what do you want to do as a player going forward in life?
    Sincerely,
    Soccer is Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo GoatGirl,
    I loved the way you approached this topic in your blog. I really thought it was cool how you adjusted to being a center defender even though you really wanted to be a midfielder. This is an amazing post, a story of persistence. After reading you post, I was wondering If you could give a person one tip on how to get to where you want to be, what would it be?
    Yeehaw
    PinkPather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi GoatGirl,

    Your persistence in soccer is very inspiring. When reading your post, you really made it clear that soccer is one of your passions and that you want it to be a big part of your life. Great job! Do you find that your talent in soccer gives you strengths in other sports? What other sports do you like?

    -Owl Feather

    P.S. olay! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Goat Girl,
    thank you for the great blog, i enjoyed all the photos and when in the blog you were stating all the ups and downs of soccer when you love it so much. What sport would you play if not soccer, and what do you see your self doing with soccer as a skill in the future?
    Bananabunny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Goat Girl,
    I love how much you persisted and persevered when you wanted to make the A team. It really shows how motivated and dedicated you are to soccer. I was wondering if you could make any changes to what you have done in your whole soccer career, what would they be?
    Keep up the good writing!
    Hamilton9

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Goat Girl,
    I really like how you started from the beginning of your soccer life, since that showed how you evolved. I also like how you include photos of you playing soccer throughout the blog. The way how you described soccer, and what it takes to be where you are, really makes me understand how you are passionate about it! Do you have any sport ro-models currently?
    -Snowleopard
    (your picture of you as a soccer tot is really adorable!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Got Girl,
    Your blog post was very detailed and had me drawn into your story from the the beginning all the way to the last word. I don't play soccer and I never have. It sounds like a lot of fun and I bet you are an amazing soccer player.
    What got you into soccer? or more like What made your parents put you into soccer rather than another sport?

    MM_Z

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi goat girl,
    i don't play soccer but your post was really interesting and kept me hooked! what is your favorite part of soccer?
    -gracie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Goat Girl,
    I loved all the pictures especially the one of you as a young girl. How did you start playing soccer? How long have you played? What postitions do you play? I used to play soccer but didn’t have time for it. I love reading about and you wrote this very well so it was very enjoyable!
    -Slinkymuffin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Goat Girl,
    I love the way you described your overall soccer journey from a soccer tot to now. I thought that you were very descriptive and it was easy for me to picture. I really enjoyed reading it and it was very fun to read too! I really enjoyed hearing you describe your soccer league because it was very intriguing. What's your favorite part of playing soccer with your teammates?
    -Teeny Tiny Fury

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi goatgirl,
    i don't play soccer but your post was really interesting! I like how you started at the beginning of your life and then worked your way up to where you are not.Why do you love soccer so much?

    ReplyDelete