the ringing of the bell sounds out
echoes in my bones
time for class
I’ll choose a blank mask for this one
maybe sprinkle in a frown of focus
unpacking the School Personality from its metal box
raise my hand and try not to look around too much
first rule of class: don’t make eye contact with your friends.
that never happens
School Personality always has snippets of jokes slid across the glass table
of tension
to the person next to me
and humored glances to
the person across the room in the ritual unspoken conversation
9:15
C&C advisory
I’m always late.
walk in with my friend
eyes glued to the ground
trying not to be noticed.
“girls, come in and sit down. you’re interrupting.”
no one else notices us anyway
this is routine.
this is the Invisible Personality.
second rule: nod.
Invisible Personality doesn’t like to argue
they’ll always do anything to blend in
they follow their rules
they’re submissive
but not in the little moments of rebellious eye-contact
to the one safe person in the room
9:30
finally: morning break
choose a smile from the gallery this time
this one’s a little tired, but it’ll have to do.
I’ll go over to the group of girls sitting on the ground
in a messy blob that tries so hard to pass for a circle
lean on a friend’s shoulder
third rule: don’t say what’s on your mind.
this is the personality that gives only what is needed
but cares for me
the Surviving Personality
providing me support in a hug to one of my friends
head resting on their shoulder for one more beat
the beat that tells them that I need them
11:25
chatter fills the hallways:
the sound of kids snatching the moments of conversation
before they float away
games in the gym now
I’ll admit:
I’m no good at this one
the Loner Personality
courtesy of my old school
everyone’s playing basketball or volleyball
on a good day I might find myself shooting baskets with someone
or at least trying
or serving over the net
but I always end it alone.
the smile that I chose expires and I’m left with my empty tired self
as I stretch alone in a corner
always glancing over to the teacher to make sure I look like I’m working
hard enough
the Loner Personality is always good to me
but I’m still here in the corner
watching everyone else with their perfect smiles and energy
11:55
lunch!
a happily exhausted look of longing for the moments when
I call after my friend’s brown bob that is walking away
to wait for me, please.
We’ll go to our usual meeting place
I can say what’s on my mind now
my friends at school always knock my walls down
whether they know it or not
and the rules pinned up collapse as well
the excited snippets of the True Personality pick themselves up from
their fidgety places amongst the
boxes of personalities
they’re unable to pack themselves into one piece
and are always scattered everywhere
providing good-naturedness to the School Personality
and brightening up the Invisible Personality in their subtle stormcloud
laughing can come out of the drawer now
unfolding its dusty wings into the most embarrassing giggles
complaining comes out painted in glowing playful cheeriness and relatability
but then the bell rings again, and I pack up
my lunch and the True Personality with its stickers and colorful messiness
It’s the weekend
time for panic and stress
and covering my face with my hands
stiff from typing
as if I can hide the flaws and rawness of
the Honest Personality
from myself
I open up my planner to the assignments
not enough crossed out
not enough with due dates that aren’t in the past
but then my phone buzzes and my friends are flooding my world with
joy and anticipation because…
A treat came: a sleepover!
the True Personality is up at the break of dawn
and when I look in the mirror, I smile.
This isn’t a mask
This isn’t a personality
This isn’t the
School Personality
Invisible Personality
Surviving Personality
Loner Personality
Honest Personality
It comes from the thought of hanging out with friends
It comes from memories
It comes from nervousness and unwavering encouragement
It comes from loyalty and trust
This is a feeling, an emotion
but there’s no perfect word to describe when
my walls are down
I feel awake and alive
I’m with friends
and my heart is full
It’s a feeling as rich as golden honey
It’s as powerful as the ocean
yet as gentle as a soft summer breeze
It’s laughter.
It’s truth.
It’s me.

Hi FieryFeatherKitten,
ReplyDeleteThis is so good! Oh my goodness, it's very nice. I love how poetic it is, and how it's broken up by a schedule. Is the drawing on the top one that you made? If so thats amazing! All in all, nice job!
-FoxelephantVioleta
FoxelephantVioleta,
DeleteThank you so much! I did draw the picture at the top.
Thank you for asking,
FieryFeatherKitten
Hi FieryFeatherKitten,
ReplyDeleteThis is absolutely amazing! First off, the drawing at the top is really beautiful and it really captures the tone of the beginning of your poem in my opinion. I love how you assigned different personalities to each aspect of the day, and how you broke it up with your schedule. I love your poetry, and it flows perfectly in keeping with your assigned personality and time. My favorite part was the ending though because you shifted the mood of the poem perfectly in keeping with the theme of your poetry.
Out of your 5 personalities, which one is your least favorite?
-Teeny Tiny Fury
Hi Teeny Tiny Fury,
DeleteThank you for reading my post and for your kind words. I would have to say that the Invisible Personality is my least favorite, because, out of the other personalities, it is the one that has the least of my True Personality in it.
Thank you,
FieryFeatherKitten
Hi FieryFeatherKitten,
ReplyDeleteThis was a really enlightening post. I'm glad you can be yourself around your friends. How come your personalities are in boxes?
-SilverWolf
Hi SilverWolf,
DeleteThank you for reading my post. My personalities are in boxes because they have to stay organized and separated. However, I wrote that snippets of the True Personality were everywhere. While it does have it's own box, there are little pieces of my true personality in every other personality.
- FieryFeatherKitten
Hi FieryFeatherKitten,
ReplyDeleteYou wrote something absolutely, i really enjoyed the poems, it is different than others blogs so it stands out. I was wondering, were these poems made before the blog for fun or for a class, or was it all for you blog post?
Hi Bananabunny,
DeleteThank you! This poem was made for this blog post, but I think I would have written some variation of it sooner or later. I write a lot, and often lines will just pop into my head and I'll be writing a poem in my head, which causes me to write it down for fear of losing it. I'd say that there were definitely some lines of this poem that I had brainstormed before, but it was written for this post in this class.
Thank you for the question,
FieryFeatherKitten
Hi FieryFeatherKitten,
ReplyDeleteYour poem that you wrote, is absolutely beautiful. The way you use the perfect words to describe each part of your day, while explaining each personality.I also loved your drawing at the beginning. It was an amazing way to start, since it really described/summarized your poem without words. Do you ever have hard time deciding which personality you want to use/be?
-Snowleopard
Hi Snow Leopard,
DeleteThank you so much! That's actually a really interesting question because I actually do, although I didn't mention it. People have good days and bad days, so sometimes I'll be using my Invisible Personality around my friends, or a different one when my friends are acting different. One thing that's difficult is deciding how I should act around new people or in public, because I don't know them or how they'll act or react. I also have difficulty with deciding around people that change a lot. There are some people who will be super fun and outgoing one moment and cold and irritable the next. Being around those people is difficult because I don't want to offend them or make them uncomfortable in any way.
Thank you for the question,
FieryFeatherKitten
FieryFeatherKitten,
ReplyDeleteYour poem is beautifully written. I love the drawing at the top. The way the person (can't say he or she because we gotta respect the non gender binary people) covers their mouth with the peice of paper(?) that has a smile on it and hinds thier true feelings is very powerful in it's own way. As I read your poem, I could relate to some if not all of the personalities from your School Personality. If you know who I maybe you would disagree with me. That's okay. I guess that means that somedays my mask is more secure than others. I really hope that you can show just you at all times not just during a sleepover or a special hangout with friends outside of school. Even though you are to some degree protecting your most inner self from harsh judgment, it really is a relief for you to peel away your mask and smile and love what you see in the mirror. You are beautiful, you really are, and I truly do hope that one day you don't have to feel like you need to hide behind a mask. Teacher sometimes don't understand that what theya re doing can have a negative impact on the students that they are talking to. Please dont' hang your head because you deserve to raise your head above all others. Maybe it will help for you maybe it won't (didn't help for me). You talkt o your teachers though to be honest I don't really know how you would, but you could talk to your friends and have them help. There is a reason that you call them your friends. You shoudl be acle to lean on them for anything whenever you need something. I have had to hid behind a mask and people don't notice which for me is a good thing, and if you are feeling this way I get it, but when you are with your friends take it down. Your friends should love you for who you really are and not a mask. I'm 10000% positive that they do so don't hide. You can always talk to me, though I know this for a fact that I'm not always the nicest person to be around, but maybe I can hel[ in a way. I love your writing, I love your drawings and continue to be yourself and "You nice, keeping going"
I purple you!
MM_Z
MM_Z,
DeleteThank you for reading my post and for your kind words. I'm happy that you could relate to my poem. You didn't ask a question, but I have some advice for you in your struggles that you share with me: follow your own advice to me! You're such a sweet person to be around when you give people your time. You have a gift of making people feel valued when you talk to them, so spread your love. You have the potential to make so many people happy, and you're beautiful, on the outside and the inside, even though you may not believe it yet.
Fighting!
FieryFeatherKitten
Hi FieryFeatherKitten,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your poem. I can relate to having different personalities when I'm in different scenarios and all of that breaking down when I'm with my friends. It really made me think about that and made me feel as though I'm not alone. I not only think the topic you wrote about is unique. I also think the fact that you wrote a poem and made a drawing is incredibly unique. How did you think of doing that? Anyway, I hope that you know that if you ever need anyone to just listen to whatever you have to say I'm always here for you. You are an amazing person and writer and I hope that you know that.
Much love,
RainbowUnicornsRock
Hi RainbowUnicornsRock,
DeleteThank you for reading my poem. I'm glad that we're both not alone in these feelings. I thought of doing this topic because I realized that changing my personalities is such a huge part of my life. I think about it so much but don't often consciously consider how much I'm changing myself. I feel like a lot of people wouldn't recognize me if they saw me at summer camps or alone by myself at my house. I'm a lot calmer and more thoughtful and also emotional when I'm alone. With all the crazy things that have been happening lately, it made me think of how guarded I am at school, no matter how open I may seem. At home I just let myself go through everything because there's no one there to judge me but myself, and I've realized that more and more recently. Also, I just had to point out that you're amazing and beautiful too, and I wanted to thank you for being there for me, and being here for me.
Thank you so much,
FieryFeatherKitten
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletehi fieryfeatherkitten,
ReplyDeletei think your writing and poem is really good, it has great wording and metaphors. I can really relate to your different personalities, I act different around my family then I do at school. Is there anything you could suggest so I can be my "true personality" as much as I can?
-mrlucy :)
Hi Mr Lucy,
DeleteThank you! I'm glad that you could see a little bit of yourself in my poem. Personally, I find myself able to be my True Personality when I trust the people I'm around. I feel comfortable with being myself around them. To be your True Personality, just get to a point in your relationships where you feel comfortable doing so. Try to learn things about people. Let them know about you. Don't be afraid to be your True Personality, either. If people aren't okay with that, then they're the ones with the problem, not you. Don't be afraid to be judged; there's always going to be someone who isn't pleased or who you don't get along with. Just get to a point where you feel comfortable with yourself and being your True Personality. Just be you.
Thanks,
FieryFeatherKitten
dear fieryfeatherkitten,
ReplyDeletethis was more than incredible. first of all, let me say that choosing to write this in the form of a poem was a brilliant idea that touched me even more than it would have just as a regular block of text. the words you came up with and the way you pieced them together flowed so well. second of all, your artistic skills blow my mind. and the way you incorporate something so meaningful as this into a drawing astonishes me. last but not least, I deeply respect and appreciate all of the emotion and thought put into this piece. it was so relatable yet brand new at the same time and leaves me with so many questions as well as so many answers. I do however especially wonder, what inspired you to write this? Was it just an idea that popped into your head or is there something behind it?
love always,
frog ribbit
Hi frog ribbit,
DeleteThank you for all of your sweet words. I can tell that you really read and observed my poem and art. I was inspired to write this because it's such a big part of my life. Switching personalities is how I make sure I keep people as happy as I can. I want to live my life happily by making others happy. I thought of this topic for this assignment partially because I was having difficulty with making people happy lately. I was spending nights just thinking about how I could change to make my friends happy again and trying to figure out what was happening and where I went wrong. That made me think about how often I switch personalities, even without thinking. I wanted to express my feelings. I know that there are other people out there who have these masks too, and I want them to know that they are not alone. This was my opportunity. I decided to do it through different forms of art so that it touched people more than I could through just a plain block of text.
Thank you for your question,
FieryFeatherKitten
Dear fieryfeatherkitten,
ReplyDeleteAmazing post! It was really nice to read and all the emotion in it and just all the honesty in it all! Do you have a favorite part of your post?
Really good job!
-PortugueseGrape
PortugueseGrape,
DeleteThank you! I have difficulty choosing just one favorite, but I would say my favorite parts are the ones that switch moods. In the last three stanzas, there are abrupt switches between positive and negative emotions, which keeps the poem more interesting. It also expresses more of what actually happens, because sometimes I have to switch personalities quickly.
Thanks for your question,
FieryFeatherKitten
Dear fieryfeatherkitten:
ReplyDeleteI loved your post so much!!! I felt I could relate to all your personalities, meaning that I have lots of personalities as well. I wonder, How long did it take you to make that drawing? It seems really heartfelt as well as your post. Good Job!!!;)
Sincerely,Pandas Are Cute 101
Pandas Are Cute 101,
DeleteOh my goodness, thank you! I'm glad you could relate. The drawing took around two and a half hours to make, but that includes the time it took me to take pictures and get a little bit of feedback. Thank you for asking!
Sincerely,
FieryFeatherKitten
Dear fieryfeatherkitten,
ReplyDeleteI loved you poem! it was so beautiful.Your poem was so relatable and I loved that you chose to write a poem instead of paragraphs. Just letting you know if you ever want someone to talk to, you can talk to me.
Bristol
Hi Bristol,
DeleteThank you for your complements and support! I'm glad you felt that you could relate to my experiences. I'm open to talking more about this topic if you have any questions or need any advice (or want to share some!).
Sincerely,
FieryFeatherKitten
Hey FireyFeatherKitten,
ReplyDeleteI read your blog, and it nearly made me cry. I relate to all of these feelings. Almost. Imagine these feelings, but without the friends. Constantly the loner. Telling yourself that you're the problem, no one to sneak a glance to. I know it's not true, but my conscious telling me otherwise, the devil on my shoulder, telling me I'm constantly alone. I know it's not true, but its hard to remember that fact, people taking up all the space to have someone at my side. Without a voice of reason, the voice in my head keeps getting louder. My demon has become deafening. I don't know what to do. The voice gets louder, and my standards get higher, and as I nearly reach that bar I have set so high for myself, it moves higher. Just when I'm about to grab it, I miss, and it sends me spiraling further down into the darkness. I don't know what to do, there's no space left for me to be me, and I constantly have to wear a mask, because I feel like if I be myself, everyone will hate me.
I don't know what to do, is there anything that I could do that helps you deal with these toxic feelings?
Let us grieve existence together,
Missy Unicorn
FireyFeatherKitten,
ReplyDeleteI like how you added the times and how some things were in bold and others weren't it really put certain words or phrases on the spot. "It comes from memories" this line really stood out to me because I've always thought about what I'll look back at myself doing when I'm older. If it will be playing with friends, sitting alone, or wasting my time on a screen.
-johnsmith234