Monday, February 4, 2019

Immigrant Families - My Story

My Name Is Gaia G, and I am part of an immigrant family. Being part of an immigrant family can be super fun, but also very tough. If you don't know my story, here it is:

I was born in Bogota, Colombia, on June 12th, 2006. ( yeah, I know. I'm super young). When I was 40 days old,  my family and I moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil. At the time, I was an only child. Then, while living in Brazil, my mom had one of my three sisters, Luna. She's now in 5th grade. We lived there for about a year, and then my dad moved to California because of work. Since my mom, my sister, and I were not American Citizens, we couldn't actually live there, so we went back and forth between Colombia and California. Then, my dad moved back to Colombia with us and my mom had my second sister, Maia. She's now in 3rd Grade. Then, we lived happily in Colombia, and my mom had my third sister, Kyra. She's now in 1st Grade. When Kyra was two years old, we moved back to Brazil and lived there for about three years. Then, we were preparing to come and live in Portland. Since we had to wait for our Green Cards, (what makes us able to live here), we went to live in Colombia for about 5 months with my grandmother. We still had to go to school, because we couldn't just miss half of the school year. Then, we finally got permission to enter the country, and off we went on our way to PDX. When we got to Portland, the community was very accepting of us, and I like that. I went to West Sylvan Middle School for the rest of 6th Grade and then entered Catlin Gabel School, on September 4th, 2018. Since the beginning of the school year, I have been very happy about the acceptance of this school community, and I'm glad I came to Catlin. Since then, I've met other immigrant families at this school, and I am very supportive and accepting of them as well. By the way, since I have lived in three different countries, I have learned three different languages. Spanish, English, and Portuguese, and I am currently learning French.


Being an immigrant family relates a lot to my story because, as you can tell, moving from place to place about every two years can be stressful, especially with all the stuff that comes with it, like visas, passports, community acceptance, packing up everything in your house, saying goodbye to friends, etc. Here at Catlin Gabel, it is a very different school than what my schools were like in Brazil and Colombia. They have about the same curriculum, but the community and spaces are very different. For example, in Brazil, my school was very, very, "mixed up". What I mean by this is that there were a lot of different cultures, and I promise you, there was at least one person from every continent in the world, even Australia! ( probably not Antartica ) At Catlin, most of the people are American, even though there are some variations as well. Also, the climate is very different, and it takes some time getting used to. For example, this morning, it was the second time seeing snow in my life! In Brazil and in Colombia, it doesn't snow, sadly. In Portland, it is mostly cold, but in Brazil and Colombia, the climates are definitely warmer. However, there are many advantages of being an immigrant family. More specifically about me, it is an advantage to know three languages. Especially because you can know what other people are talking about, and it's nice to know three languages and speak them fluently in general. Another advantage is that you have more stories to tell! Storytelling is a great skill, and I think that it is very underrated. When you travel or live in different countries, you have more stories to tell about that place, and I believe that other people enjoy being told about how things are in a different place, maybe even somewhere across the globe. But what I have learned in my adventures going from place to place, is that no matter where you are, we are all human and a part of the earth.

21 comments:

  1. With all of the difficulties being part of an immigrant family, I'm heartened to hear that you have focused on the positive aspects. Your language abilities and stories are going to serve you well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family, which sounds wonderful, must be extraordinarily proud of you. What an asset you are to the Catlin community!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Pandas Are Cute 101,

    I really enjoyed reading about your crazy adventure as a child (even though you still are) to get to Catlin from the beginning where you were born in Columbia. Do have a specific place you liked living in the most?

    Thanks,
    AwesomePig

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear AwesomePig,
      Thank you so much! to answer your question, I don't really have a favorite place to live, although living in Colombia was great because most of my relatives live there.

      Sincerely,
      SummerSpring612

      Delete
  4. Dear Pandas are cute 101,
    Wow, this was good from moving back and forth, and the differences between the schools. It’s so cool you know three languages. I agree with what you said about storytelling, and you sure tell good stories. Is it hard having three sisters? I agree with N. Matthews it’s very good how you focused on the positive in a situation that’s really hard. Do you still speak Spanish with your family a lot? Do all of your sister know three languages? Once again, I enjoyed reading this, nice job!
    FoxelephantVioleta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear FoxelephantVioleta,
      Thanks for your compliments! To answer your questions, It is hard having three sisters, especially when they're young. Also, I do speak Spanish at home, and all of my sisters speak all three languages as well.

      Sincerely,
      SummerSpring612

      Delete
    2. Hi SummerSpring612,
      I loved reading about a part of you that you don’t just know from the beginning. Was it hard to learn English? I know Spanish is different in the form of sentences.
      -Slinkymuffin

      Delete
    3. Hi SummerSpring612,
      I have two siblings that are older and that’s hard. I can’t imagine 3 younger siblings. I loved readin about something you don’t learn when you first meet someone. Was it hard to learn English? You wrote it very well, and I love your ending.
      -Slinkymuffin

      Delete
  5. Hi Pandas are cute 101,
    Wow, that was so good! I loved how you talked about your life story. I was wondering if you could have more or less siblings would you change how many you had or keep it the same?

    Thanks,
    Snow Flack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Snow Flak,
      Thank you! If I had the ability to change how many siblings I had, it would be kind of complicated. If I could o it every day, I would just "get rid of" the one that is bothering me, then bring her back later. If I could only do it once though, then I would just keep it how it is... I still love my sisters!

      Sincerely,
      SummerSpring612

      Delete
  6. Dear Pandas are cute 101,
    I like how you were talking about yourself and not immigrants in general. After reading this blog post, I'm wondering, how do you remember all four languages and do you like having a class that's "mixed up"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sincerely,
      Bozzy

      Delete
    2. Dear Bozzy,
      Thanks! I remember my three strongest languages by practicing them often. By this I mean going to places in where people skpeak that language, like Brazil for portuguese, Colombia for spanish, and I already live in the US for english. For french, I literally take that class during school, so I remember it that way. ( for the record, i'm not the best at french ) I wouldn't really like having a class thais mixed with all the four languages, because that would be quite a lot to take in. Thanks Again!
      Sincerely,
      SummerSpring612

      Delete
  7. Dear Pandas Are Cute 101,
    I think that it is really cool that you have lived in so many places. Even though as you described it might be frantic it must be pretty cool to have experienced quite a few different cultures. I was wondering, firstly, do you think that you will stay in Portland for long? Also, what is the hardest part of moving to a new country in general?
    Cordially,
    ABellPepper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear ABellPepper,
      Thank You so much! To answer your question, I do think that I am going to stay in Portland for a while, since I was moving for my dad's job, and now his "position" is more secure. The hardest part about moving would probably be staying away from friends and family.

      Sincerely,
      SummerSpring612

      Delete
  8. Pandas Are Cute 101,
    hey bestie! That was very well written and though I am not part of an immigrant family nto an immigrant myslef, my parents had come from China. I am a first-generation American. My cousin is the first in out entire family to go to college in the United States.
    Did you sometimes find it really annoying to move around a lot?

    MM_Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MM_Z!
      Thanks! It is kind of annoying to move around a lot, especially when you have to leave your friends behind every time you move. Once again, Thanks!

      Love,
      SummerSpring612

      Delete
  9. Dear SummerSpring612,
    I think it was really interesting how you've lived in so many different places. I like how you told us the ups and downs of being part of an immigrant family and some of the processes/steps it took to get here. Even though sometimes it must be annoying to move, what's your favorite part of moving to a new country?
    -Teeny Tiny Fury :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Teeny Tiny Fury,
      Thank You So Much! My favorite part about moving to a different country is probably learning all the new cultures, and trying new foods! Moving can be annoying, but also very fun! Once again, Thanks!

      Sincerely,
      SummerSpring612

      Delete
  10. hi summerspring612,
    i really enjoyed reading this blog post because of all the stories i heard, places you've been, and much more. i had always known you had travelled a lot in your life, but i had no idea it was this much. if you had the option to trade in one of the languages you know for another, would you do it? if so, what language would you speak instead?
    - bug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear bug,
      Thank You! I know, it's hard to picture moving a lot sometimes! To answer your question, no, I wouldn't really "trade" one of my languages for another, because I value all my languages equally. It would be fun to learn another language really quickly though! Thanks again!

      Sincerely,
      SummerSpring612

      Delete