As you may know a new musical just came out in 2015(the first performance), Hamilton. The musical is about a founding father named Alexander Hamilton. I believe that Hamilton is very good but it should have been about Eliza Schuyler(Hamilton's wife). I think that its annoying when people ask who is Eliza Schuyler and most respond Hamilton's wife(even though I just said that). Personally I think Hamilton didn't do as much as Eliza. I will give 5 reasons why Eliza is the real star.1. First, I believe a lot of people when they think of history they think of all the male presidents, Thomas Edison, and other male people. There are plenty of woman that made a big impact in our history. I am not saying that Thomas Edison didn't do anything important but we should teach about the impact woman had.
2. Eliza lived to a pretty old age for the 1700-1800. She lived to be 97, and Alexander died when she was 47. She worked 50 years after her husband died. Eliza didn't have a lot of people to support her because before Hamilton died her mom died and after Hamilton died her father died. Think of how hard that must be.
3. You may think that the last one doesn't matter because she could have just been another person in the planet. She raised funds for the Washington Monument, she read through Alexander's writing to tell his story, and established the first private orphanage in New York City(she did it because Alexander was a orphan, and had a hard time on his own).
4. People may say Angelica was the much better sister, however I strongly disagree. As a younger sibling I know that sometimes people know you from the older siblings. A lot of times teachers decide they like because they liked my sister or my brother or they talk to me and say oh your Julia or Holden's sister. I think some people believe that Angelica was the second main character. Angelica was just the older sister that supported Eliza with what she did. I am angry that in the beginning Lin Manuel Miranda talked some much about Angelica and Hamilton but Eliza should have a least been the second main character if not the lead.
5. Eliza is a good role model to not just girls but a lot of kids. She shows that women can make a really big difference in our society. I feel very strongly about her influence. Another reason I agree with this might also be that my middle name is Elizabeth and I wanted to change my name to Eliza(that's an impact). We know have an Eliza in my class so I am glad that I have a name no one in my grade has.
All in all, Eliza is a big role model for me, and she is very awesome!
http://www.womenhistoryblog.com/2010/08/elizabeth-schuyler-hamilton.html
https://museum.gwu.edu/eliza-hamilton
http://exhibitions.nysm.nysed.gov//albany/bios/s/elschuyleranb.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Schuyler_Hamilton

Hey FoxelephantVioleta,
ReplyDeleteWhat a great blog post! I thought it was so insightful and really made me think of the people who are overshadowed in the stories we tell. I was wondering if (for people like me who have not seen Hamilton) you could explain a little more about the play so I could get a little bit more of a story line.
Keep up the good work!
tinyelephant
Tiny elephant,
ReplyDeleteI will add an explanation at the top. Thanks for reminding me about that possibility, I kinda forgot.
FoxelephantVioleta
Hi FoxelephantVioleta,
ReplyDeleteI love how you included so many facts about Eliza, because they really helped me understand the amazing things she has done. I am wondering if you could give more examples of women who have not gotten enough recognition for what they have done?
Cant wait to read more of your writing,
Hamilton9
Hi Hamilton9,
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading my post. I will add more women that have done important things in history!
FoxelephantVioleta
Bravo FoxelephantVioleta,
ReplyDeleteI loved the way you approached this topic in your blog. I thought it was awesome that you are talking about how Eliza was overlooked as many women in our history have been. This is an amazing post, and I think it is very important to keep talking about important women who's impact has been kept in the shadows. After reading you post, I was wondering If you could give a little bit more information on what Eliza did, so that we can all know the impact she made as you were talking about.
Yeehaw
PinkPather
Hi PinkPanther,
DeleteThanks for reading my blog. I have a list of things that I am going to add and I will definitely look for more thing she has done. I mostly wrote about her because she is a role model to me. I liked that she did so well without having a husband by her side supporting her. I also was impressed with how she looked through all of her husbands old work to make sure his work was told. In the process it made it so her story wasn’t told as much as him. Thanks again for the nice comment!
FoxelephantVioleta
Hi Foxelephant Violeta,
DeleteYou are so welcome. I agree that it was a process in which she made sure that his story was told and not so much as hers. How long do you think that it took her to sork through his old work?
Chao
PinkPanther
Hi FoxelephantVioleta,
ReplyDeleteYou killed it on this one! I loved how you talked about something that really breaks barriers and is so different and cool! the way you explained why eliza had hamilton as a love and even explained a lot about hamilton the play was absolutely just a bonus! At what age sis you really start getting yourself into Hamilton and how you feeel on this topic?
BananaBunny
Hi BananaBunny,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the nice comment! I started getting into Hamilton when my babysitter would play it in the car. I hated it at first, and thought it was kind of weird. Then I started listening to it and it became our thing. I gave us all parts, and I was Eliza. I started realizing that she was really cool. I feel pretty strongly about how important it is for women to get credit not just Eliza. Thanks again for reading my blog!
FoxelephantVioleta
hi foxelephantvioleta,
ReplyDeletei loved reading this because i can agree with this on some level, women should definitely get the credit they deserve. How did you choose this topic?
-gracie :)
Hi Gracie,
DeleteTo answer your question, my teacher told me to write about something important to me like a role model. I immediately thought of her. She is a role model for me and started a bond between a ton of my friends and babysitter. Once I started writing I thought about giving women more credit. Thank you for the compliments and for reading my blog.
Slinkymuffin
foxelephantvioleta,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post because I do love Hamilton. I agree about your point that plenty of women have contributed so much, but they aren't given the credit for it.
How did you find out about Hamilton?
MM_Z
Dear SlinkyMuffin
ReplyDeleteI loved how detailed and persuasive your post was! It was a lot of fun to read and I agree with the points you made. Eliza was a big influence in the late 18th century and early 19th century. I also agree that many women have done a lot of important things but they aren't given any credit for it. I really love how you have explained her achievements in a way to construct an argument that the musical, Hamilton, should have been centered around her. If you've seen Hamilton (assumption) and you could change one scene with Eliza in it, which scene would it be? and why?
-Teeny Tiny Fury
Hi Teeny Tiny Fury,
DeleteTo answer your question, in a lot of scenes she is the damsel that is getting hurt and just crying and begging. I would have liked to see her act differently. Yes, she went through some hard things but she is mostly seen crying, begging Alexander to do something, or in the beginning trying to get boys attention. She did a lot and was a powerful woman but it didn’t seem like that. Thank you so much for reading my blog! Your comment was very nice!
-Slinkymuffin