Tuesday, February 26, 2019

The Only Girl



I am going to ask you to do something in just a moment here. Imagine you sitting in a room, playing a somewhat stressful game which you have a time limit on that wrings your brain out, against a scary looking opponent on an early Saturday morning. Pretty bad, huh?  Now imagine that you are feeling like your life depends on winning this game. While you sink this in, imagine you are the only one of your gender type in the entire room, playing that game.

Image result for chess
Chess. An art, science, game, and sport. From what I described above, it may seem like there is an impression that I dislike chess. But that is simply untrue. Sure, sometimes I do feel about chess that way, but most of the times, I adore it. Playing chess is not a chore, or something I have to do, but I choose to anyway. However, there is no avoiding  that dreaded feeling of when you think you will lose, or when you are scared to play against that big adult man whose rating is greater than yours. And those feelings are when I lose the game, before I even sit down at the board.

Over the years I have played chess, the one thing I have learned beside strategies, tactics, and different plays, is that you need to play the position. NOT the opponent. All those years of me being afraid to lose have mostly passed over. Losing and winning. There will always be one or the other. And when I win? Great! Moving on. When I lose? Not so great- but the amount I learn from analyzing my losses is tremendous, and it teaches me more than I can ever learn from another book. After all-

"If you are not strong enough to lose, you are not strong enough to win."

So there are ups and downs in chess- let's talk about what I LOVE about it.

Image result for chess pawn looking into a mirror as kingChess is a mental game of strategy, tactics, and thinking. It is probably the most beautiful, unique game in the world come from. Beautiful in the way that each game has its own twists and characteristics. Each position has its own... personality. And each and every single game is completely different, with countless different positions, which makes sense because there are countless types of people in the world. Chess has many deeper meanings and ideas. One basic strategy is to get all the pieces into play. You cannot win by only using one or two of the 16 pieces you have. You need defenders, attackers, and protecters. Sometimes, its the little things that cost you the game. The way the chess pieces move around the board, how they can come together so beautifully, how each piece is important and significant on the board in its own way, and how sometimes, there are pieces that obstruct your plan, displaced, until you need to move them in a better place. Sometimes pieces need to be sacrificed, or removed. Chess really models how todays world works, or should work. Does it not?

"Life is a game of chess. Chess is a game of the brain."

Image result for chess and the brainThere are countless other lessons that chess can teach. Patience. Strategy. Time management. Simplicity. Being able to see 3-5 steps ahead. Learn from your losses. Not to be afraid of a loss. Forethought wins. There is always a better move. Its okay to be independent and move in silence- only to speak to say Checkmate.

Now, I'm going to talk about another aspect of Chess. Being the only 7th grade girl to be at tournaments. And even if there IS another girl, the ratio of boys to girls is drastically bigger. All the chess books I have are written by males, and all the games inside the books are played by 2 male grandmasters. Its never a girl. Ever.

Related imageI have always wondered why not many girls play chess. Are they all ashamed? Nervous? Think that Chess will never be a "girl" sport? Uninterested? Why is it that at every tournament there are so many more boys than girls??! I mean seriously- search up chess grandmasters and ALL of them are male. Let me tell you that Chess is a game for everybody of every race, gender, status, and age. If any girl wants to play, they should feel free to love it, and participate without any judgments from anybody else. They should be proud of what they are passionate about, and let no one else effect that. There are only 12-14 woman grandmasters out there, out of the other 500, who are males. Does that not strike anyone else as crazy? Unacceptable? Well it does to me. And I hope, one day, I will become one of the 12 best female chess players in the world, and that others will be inspired by reading this post and seeing what any girl can do.

Every chess Grandmaster was once a beginner- and every pawn has the potential to become a                                                                             QUEEN. 





16 comments:

  1. Dear risingsun13,

    I love how you wrote about chess, and how you are connected to the game. I used to play chess when I was younger and I agree, there was significantly more males than females on my chess team. I love how you wrote about a significant overlooked aspect of chess and chose to write about it. I also love how you detailed the certain parts of chess that you do enjoy and how much you have learned and grown. I also enjoyed how you talked about both positive and negative aspects of chess.
    How did you get involved in playing chess?
    -Teeny Tiny Fury

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi risingsun13,

    I have never learned to play chess, but you gave me an idea of what it is like. I love your topic choice and how you explained how everybody should be able to play chess and participate in their passions.

    If you haven't watched this, I think you would love it! It's called Queen Of Katwe. Also, I loved your quotes especially the last one.

    -Owl Feather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi risingsun13,
      To add onto my last comment, I have a few questions. How long have you been playing chess? Was it hard to learn? I might want to try playing it!
      -Owl Feather

      Delete
  3. risingsun13,
    I agree with teeny tiny fury and owl feather. I love all the quotes you include in this. I have never played chess but have wanted to play for a little while. Your really good at writing! How long have you played? I love how you write about being the only girl.
    -FoxelephantVioleta:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi risingsun13,
    I agree, I have been at many chess tournaments where I was the only girl. I like how you were very passionate about this and it showed in your writing. I also agree with Teeny Tiny Fury’s question “How did you start doing chess?” I think if you shared that people would be more likely to get in to it or at least try it.
    -SilverWolf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Risingsun13,
    I like, Owl Feather, have never learned to play chess, but after reading your post I got to understand what it really takes to play professionally. I enjoy how you included not just bad things about chess, but also what you love about it. When you did this I really got to see what makes chess so special. Finally, your ending paragraph, was both inspiring, and eye opening since, girls/women can be just as good, and even better then boys/men, even though some people may not think this. My question, like many others is "How did you start doing chess? and also "What made you begin chess?
    -Snowleopard

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Risingsun13,
    I have never played chess, but is sounds fun. I can not relate to this, but I totally get where you're coming from. Your post was really nice to read! Do you know how many times people have commented on you being the only girl there?
    Keep up the good work,
    PortugueseGrape

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Risingsun13,
    I really liked your post. I wrote a post about what it's like to be one of the only girl gamers in our class, and I could totally relate to you. I sometimes feel like I have to beat boys playing the same game as me to prove that I can be just as good. I also have played some chess, and know what you mean. Have you ever gotten really frustrated with how few girls there are and wished that you could do something about it? I know I have. How did you move past the initial competitiveness of trying to beat them?
    Sincerely,
    Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  8. Risingsun13,
    This was a really good post and I can tell how dedicated you are. I myself am not good at chess at all so I will not be playing you anytime soon! Do you find that being the only girl there throws you off or does it not bother you that much?
    good job!
    tinyelephant

    ReplyDelete
  9. Risingsun13,
    I loved the quote at the end. I used to play chess. I wasn't very good, but I enjoyed the little mind games that it presented. Unlike you, I wasn't the only girl there, but there were definitely more boys than girls. How you ever given up in the middle of a game?

    MM_Z

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi risingsun13,
    I have never played chess so it's a little harder to relate, but i know the feeling of being the only girl. Do you think that helps you or makes it harder?
    -gracie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi everyone-
    This comment I will try to address all of your questions. First of all, I started playing chess in my elementary school, when a couple of my friends and I decided to enter a chess club type of thing. From there, I decided to pursue my interest, and began chess lessons in fourth grade. Also, I think that being the only girl does not impact how I play chess, I simply wanted to delve deeper into the aspect, and why it could be that way. Learning chess was pretty hard at first, but if you put your mind to it, it is a lot of fun. Jut think about it as a game, of logic and strategy. You don't have to know a bunch of chess theory to be really good at playing chess- just play what move is best! (chess theory is very helpful though :) I myself, like Abigail said, am a very competitive person, and when I walk away with a win, I feel really accomplished and happy. The initial competitiveness of wanting to beat my opponent still rages on! :)

    Thanks for all of your meaningful comments! Hopefully all of you might try to play chess someday!

    RisingSun13

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear risingsun13,
    Let me start off by saying that this piece is very well written, and it convays a powerful message. I was wondering how you feel that chess relates to your own everyday life. I know in your post, you mentioned the quote 'life is a game of chess. Chess is a game of the brain.' I was wondering why you decided to include this quote, and how it relates to you. In the end of your post you also talk about how chess is thought of as a male sport, and I was wondering if you had any ideas about how to expand the amount of female who play chess. Great job!
    Smiles,
    Cappuccino

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear risingsun13,
    I think this is a very well written piece because it describes lots of different details and how you react to them. I love how you explain what you're thinking when you are playing someone different in chess. What's your favorite part of chess?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Blue shirt guy,
      My favorite part of chess is pretty hard to choose. I think it would be winning (obviously) because the feeling of walking away feeling super satisfied and proud of yourself is priceless! :) I also like doing chess puzzles, where you try to find the winning moves etc.
      Thanks,
      RisingSun13

      Delete
  14. Hi Risingsun13,
    I thought this was a great peice of writing!! nice work! I used to be really into chess but I lost my intrest in it which I regret. I want you to never stop liking chess. Also I stand by this quote "If you are not strong enough to lose, you are not strong enough to win." I feel like this really important to realize. Would you every cheat to win a game of chess?

    Great blog,
    George

    ReplyDelete