I very vividly remember my first day of first grade. The beige square tiles leading me to my classroom. The bright posters on the wall illustrating strange characters and the distinct sound of little kids’ exited chatter. I settled into my small plastic chair and turned my attention to the teacher. That morning seemed quite like my old school. Soon enough it was lunch time and I skipped cheerfully to the cafeteria, the worries of the weeks before washed away. As I was lining up to go to afternoon class a tall long haired girl tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around and she asked me “do you know Japanese?” I replied with the obvious answer “no”. She looked at me puzzled and ended the conversation with “well I guess your gonna fail”. Confused, I turned away and followed my line up the stairs. My parents had told me a few weeks earlier that I was going to be going to a new school where I would learn Japanese, but I don’t think I ever totally comprehended what that meant before starting. When we reached the hallway to my classroom instead of going to the class I had been to in the morning we went to the one next door. Inside of this classroom a strange alignment of characters were plastered everywhere I looked. A lump started to form in my throat as my teacher showed me to my seat. Then suddenly the teacher started talking in a strange language. Everyone stood up and began to move towards the carpet. Holding back tears I followed them and sat down. The teacher began to point at a calendar, enthusiastically waving her arms around.
![]() |
| Takayama |
This was the beginning of my journey learning Japanese through immersion at a public magnet program located in Portland, Oregon. My school was a Preschool through 5th grade school and I started in first grade. Half of our day was spent in Japanese and the other half in English. When I began there I knew no Japanese and neither of my parents have any connection to Japan. When I was in first grade I began to learn the first of three alphabets, hiragana. Followed by katakana in second grade and beginning more seriously with kanji in fourth. In our Japanese class we had one main teacher and one intern who was visiting from Japan. The Japanese teachers only spoke to us in Japanese so we learned grammar and new words not through memorization, but through listening and using. Because it was immersion we also did half of our work in Japanese. In addition to actual lessons about Japanese we were learning math, history, and science in Japanese as well. Doing “normal” work in Japanese meant we were able to diversify what we were speaking about and made it more relatable to the real world.
Probably the most difficult part of going to this school was that I had no help from my parents at home for my Japanese work. If I didn't know how to do my homework I had to find someone who did
![]() |
| The school I visited in Japan |
After five years of hard work every class ends there time at my school by going on a two week trip to Japan. All of fifth grade we study, fundraise, and practice for this trip. We get to stay in homestays, go to school, visit many historical places, and surprisingly many people's favorite, soak in onsens. While in Japan our class visited a tiny mountain top village and learned how to make a traditional Japanese instrument, ate mochi, and made our own paper. (that villages specialty) We also visited a town called Takayama which was my favorite place on the trip and I highly recommend. It was really amazing to be able to realize how much Japanese I really knew. Especially in my homestay, I was surprised by how fluently I could speak. One of my favorite parts of the trip was when we would walk into a small shop or restaurant and start speaking in Japanese. Everyone in the store would light up and be super excited and it was really cool to see all these people amazed that a bunch of American kids knew their language.
This school was a huge part of my life and got me started on my interest of other places and cultures. Even though I no longer attend a school that teaches Japanese I still take lessons every week so that I never forget what I worked so hard to learn. I think that learning a language at a young age so intensively was an amazing experience that I wish more kids in the US got to experience. Overall I hope that one day people will realize how important it is that kids feel connected to the world and open even more school like the one I went to.
If you want to see a video about the school I went to this is a link to one. It’s a bit old, but I think it shows what an amazing place it is.
Photo Credit: Takayama Photo School Photo
Photo Credit: Takayama Photo School Photo


Hi Hufflepuff Pride,
ReplyDeleteThis is such a cool post. I have always wanted to know two languages, and it's awesome you got that opportunity. How long were you in Japan?
-FoxelephantVioleta
Hi FoxelephantVioleta,
DeleteThanks you so much for reading my post! I was in Japan for two weeks with my school for the capstone trip and then met up with my parents and stayed for another week. So in total 3 weeks.
-Hufflepuff Pride
Hello Hufflepuff Pride,
DeleteDo you like Harry Potter? I think it's really cool that you got the opportunity to stay in Japan for three weeks. What was your least favorite part of being in Japan for three weeks? The picture of Takayama is vert pretty.
-SlinkyMuffin
Hi Hufflepuff Pride,
ReplyDeleteThis is such an interesting post about your Japanese-American immersion experiences throughout school. I really learned a lot through your explanation of how an immersion school works. I really liked how you described your trip to Japan (it made me really want to go now!) What was it like living with your home stays?
-Teeny Tiny Fury
Hi Teeny Tiny Fury,
DeleteI really hope you get to go to Japan some day. It is awesome! Living in a homestay was amazing. It was really cool to be able to see what I thought life in Japan was like vs what it really was like. I thought it was going to be really scary, but in reality everyone was super nice and it was really fun.
Thanks,
Hufflepuff Pride
Hi Hufflepuff Pride,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog. I always wanted to speak another language because a lot of my family speak dutch. You piece really highlighted the value of learning two languages. If you ever had children would you want them to be in an immersion program? How long did it take for you to get the hang of having half your classes in Japanese? Could you ever speak English in your Japanese classes to ask questions or something?
Thanks,
Frappuccino
Hi Frappuccino,
DeleteThat's so cool that your family speaks dutch! If I have kids I would put them into a language program in an instant. It's so rewarding and I would want them to be able to learn from that. I don't think there was an exact time I got the hang of Japanese because I was slowly learning it, but by the end of first grade I was caught up to my classmates. In Japanese class we could speak english to each other, but if we asked something in english the reachers would always respond in Japanese. Also, if we spoke to much english to the teacher they would pretend they didn't understand english.
Thanks,
Hufflepuff Pride
Hi Hufflepuff Pride,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your blog post. Your beginning was increadibly descriptive. I have always been facinated by Japan and I wish that I got to learn Japenese. What was your homestay in Japan like?
Thanks,
snow leapard
Hi Hufflepuff Pride,
ReplyDeleteThank you for this blog post! I loved how you talked about your experiences and it really felt like I was getting a glimpse of this aspect of your life. I followed your story and your journey learning this language. I love how you talked about your experience knowing no Japanese at all in the beginning of the post and how your hard work payed off in the end of the post. It felt like a timeline. I could relate to this because my parents actually put me in an immersion school in pre-kindergarten. I hated it and had no friends and left, but now I wish I hadn't because I have a love for languages. I am mainly learning two languages. What advice would you have for someone trying to learn a language if they don't have many opportunities to speak it in their everyday life?
Thanks,
FieryFeatherKitten
Hi FieryFeatherKitten,
DeleteWhat two languages are you learning? In terms of learning a language that you don't have many opportunities to speak I would say try to schedule a time with someone who knows the language. It can be kind of hard to find someone, but it is so worth it. Hope that helps.
-Hufflepuff Pride
Dear Hufflepuff Pride,
ReplyDeleteWhen you grow up, how many languages do you want to be able to speak? I liked your writing and it got me hooked to the story and I just wanted to read more and more!
Really good work!
-PortugueseGrape
Hi Hufflepuff Pride,
ReplyDeleteThis was a great blog post! I can't imagine learning a new language without the help of your family. When you first started at your immersion school were you really behind? Did you fail like the girl said you would?
good work!
tinyelephant
Dear Hufflepuff Pride,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post! I can relate to learning in two different languages, except I learned in three. My first language is Spanish, so sometimes it is hard for me to translate that into English. In my opinion, learning languages can be very fun, and stressful. What was the most stressful part for you to learn a new language? Overall, you did a very goo job!!!
Sincerely,
Pandas Are Cute 101
Hufflepuff Pride,
ReplyDeleteGood job! I really liked how you talked about your experience learning two languages. What was you favorite part of going to that school?
mr.samsonRA
Hufflepuff Pride,
ReplyDeleteI thought that your post was really interesting. I've always thought that it would be both useful and satisfying to be bilingual, and it seems like that skill was really useful to you. Do you still know Japanese, and do you ever use it?
Abigail
Hufflepuff Pride,
ReplyDeleteThis is a very well written post. I have never been to an emmersion school before. I also know two languages, but I'm not very fluent in Chinese. Do you practice speaking japanese at home or outside of school?
MM_Z
Hufflepuff Pride,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post and thought that it was really brave of you to open up about your struggles.
Not You
hi hufflepuff pride,
ReplyDeletei really liked your post because you wrote about your true feelings and emotions, and it made reading this very interesting. Do you still speak and use Japanese on a regular basis?
-gracie <3
Hi Hufflepuff Pride,
ReplyDeleteThis is a really powerful blog post and you wrote it very well. you conveyed all of your ideas clearly and you are very inspiring. What was it like to got on that global trip when you were so young? What emotions did you feel? Did you feel prepared?
Smiles,
Cappuccino
Hi Hufflepuff Pride,
ReplyDeleteThis is a really interesting blog because it explains how your experience with learning a new language early on. I can sort of relate to this because my parents started teaching me Chinese at an early age. If you could change something about that school, what would you change?
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Hufflepuff Pride,
ReplyDeleteI thought that this was a really interesting blog post. I had no idea that a language can have more than one alphabet. In the future, do you plan on learning a new language? and if so, which one?
sincerely,
Lebron James